How do you move from one house to another?

I don't recall how young your kids are. But now is the time to move. I waited and my son got to engrained in the local school district and friends and family etc. etc. Then it was to late. We had to wait for him to graduate. Take your time. But now is the time to move. Any older and you'll get stuck.
7, almost 4, and almost 1. That’s why we want to move now. If we wait any longer our oldest will be in to deep. Since she’s only in first grade right now, her “friends” are all just temporary friends as I call them.

I don’t recall making most of my long term friends until about 4th or 5th grade.

The hardest part about moving is finding Doc. When you can get him to focus, he usually makes pretty cool stuff, such as flux capacitors. If the budget allows, traveling through time in a cool car such a DeLorean is pretty fun. I'll just skip forward in time a few centuries and pay a visit to the United Federation of Planets technologies lab. Pro tip, go forward in time enough til they get the bugs worked out of their tech. Then I'll just "borrow" one of the transporters and go back in time to my house and beam my stuff over to the next house. But I'll tell you what, transporters aren't very good at arraigning personal belongings, and frankly sorting that stuff by hand is a drag. If you go to the 9 and 3/4 platform in London you can hop a train to a quaint little school and ask if one of the students (be sure to pick the right "house") if they can come to your place with their wand and make quick work of the sorting. Of course you need to get the student back to school, the transporter back to the federation before they notice it's missing, and then the car back to the current time without creating any rift in the space time continuum.

• Haha
Reactions: PatMc and Cheesy
The hardest part about moving is finding Doc. When you can get him to focus, he usually makes pretty cool stuff, such as flux capacitors. If the budget allows, traveling through time in a cool car such a DeLorean is pretty fun. I'll just skip forward in time a few centuries and pay a visit to the United Federation of Planets technologies lab. Pro tip, go forward in time enough til they get the bugs worked out of their tech. Then I'll just "borrow" one of the transporters and go back in time to my house and beam my stuff over to the next house. But I'll tell you what, transporters aren't very good at arraigning personal belongings, and frankly sorting that stuff by hand is a drag. If you go to the 9 and 3/4 platform in London you can hop a train to a quaint little school and ask if one of the students (be sure to pick the right "house") if they can come to your place with their wand and make quick work of the sorting. Of course you need to get the student back to school, the transporter back to the federation before they notice it's missing, and then the car back to the current time without creating any rift in the space time continuum.

Whats the drug of choice tonight? 🤣

Option #1, selling your home in Oregon and renting in Arizona for awhile will give you the most buying power because "Cash is King." I've been able to negotiate some very good prices by offering all cash, 30 day escrow, i.e. no complications from the seller's perspective. Renting for a few months before you make an offer on anything will allow you to be sure it will be the house you want in the neighborhood you want, and if you are a month-to-month tenant you can rent past close of escrow to give you time to make any improvements before you move in to your new home. Yes, you will have to move from Oregon to Arizona and then move again across town, but you are making a life changing decision when you relocate to a new region so the extra time to maximize your knowledge of the current conditions of the local market will be worth the inconvenience.

Option #2, making an offer contingent on the sale of your existing home, is a common practice but complicates the deal for the seller. You wont have the same bargaining power as with all cash or "cash to new loan." You also run the risk that it will take too long to sell your existing home or that you won't net enough for it, in which case most contracts with that contingency give the seller the right to cancel the contract if the buyer cannot meet a relatively short deadline. Be very careful about the language relating to return of deposits. If you go this route be sure that you get all of your money back and are not penalized if you cannot sell your home in time. The silver lining here is that assuming you get all of your deposit back, you really aren't worse off than had you chosen Option #1 to begin with. The only bad thing that will have occurred is that you lost out on a house you liked and wasted a bit of time and effort.

Here is what I negotiated on a house deal that opened escrow yesterday: Large down, relatively short escrow, seller to carry remaining balance to allow me to sell my current house in the spring/summer when the market is better without the sale of my house being a contingency for the purchase the new house. This will allow the seller to use my down payment to purchase a small retirement home on the other side of the country where he and his wife have been renting. Since Seller has no immediate need for the remaining balance and it would likely sit in a money market fund for a while anyway, at a fairly low yield, he is getting a slightly better return on his capital by lending it to me on a short term note. This also gives me the option of borrowing against the equity in my current home rather than selling it in order to pay off Seller's note on the new home, and then convert my current home into a rental. This arrangement also allows me to take possession of the new house before I have to do anything with my current house so I can remodel the master bath before I move in. Win-Win.

BTW, this will be my new yard and "water feature":

View attachment 126771View attachment 126772
...and what state is this new, nice river view property in?

Well, it looks like we'll be moving within the next 2-3 months.

I wasn't sure if I could pull it, but I found a private lender in Arizona and got pre-approved for a home loan up to 700k. My intention I told them is to buy a house down there, then move, then focus on selling our house up here, which I will then use the money we get from our house here to pay down the principal on the new home loan.

The houses we are looking at are all in San Tan Valley and Queen Creek, and all are around 310-335k.

We've found two that we both really love, and our realtor is going to check them out for us tomorrow, send is videos and pictures (more than what's in the add). If they check out, I'm going to put in an offer and then fly down this weekend (or next) to make sure the house is what we want.

The nice thing is that all the offers have a 10-day inspection period, so I'll be able to fly down and inspect the house, and if for some reason it doesn't check out, we have the ability to back out within 10 days.

Assuming all goes well, we should be able to close in 30-45 days, and then begin the move.

This certainly makes things a lot easier being able to have two houses at once, so that way I can worry about one thing at a time.

We just carried things from one house to the other. No need for moving vehicles or anything. We bought the house right next door. LOL

Reactions: Chris

I wasn't sure if I could pull it, but I found a private lender in Arizona and got pre-approved for a home loan up to 700k. My intention I told them is to buy a house down there, then move, then focus on selling our house up here, which I will then use the money we get from our house here to pay down the principal on the new home loan.

The houses we are looking at are all in San Tan Valley and Queen Creek, and all are around 310-335k.

We've found two that we both really love, and our realtor is going to check them out for us tomorrow, send is videos and pictures (more than what's in the add). If they check out, I'm going to put in an offer and then fly down this weekend (or next) to make sure the house is what we want.

The nice thing is that all the offers have a 10-day inspection period, so I'll be able to fly down and inspect the house, and if for some reason it doesn't check out, we have the ability to back out within 10 days.

Assuming all goes well, we should be able to close in 30-45 days, and then begin the move.

This certainly makes things a lot easier being able to have two houses at once, so that way I can worry about one thing at a time.
Congrats!
We looked in Queen Creek area last fall. My sister-in-law lives in on the north side. And I've done quite a bit of skiing on Pleasant & Apache. Found lots of spec homes. But not a lot on larger lots, ie; 1 - 5 acres, shop, etc. anywhere near town.

Good luck on the move!

Last edited:
Congrats.
We are still moving but are just about at the point where we are starting to prep the other place to put on the market.

Good for you! What are the yearly taxes on those type of houses? I say that as my 2020 tax bill just came in and is now $14,700!

Good for you! What are the yearly taxes on those type of houses? I say that as my 2020 tax bill just came in and is now $14,700!
That is insane. I’ve seen you make mention at other times. I hope salary makes up for that. It’s totally nuts!

That is insane. I’ve seen you make mention at other times. I hope salary makes up for that. It’s totally nuts!
Not enough for me to retire here. The brand new house we just completed below in PA and is bigger than my current one is only expected to have $2800 - $3000 per year. School and police take up about 66% and 11% respectively.
zfinish1.JPG

Not enough for me to retire here. The brand new house we just completed below in PA and is bigger than my current one is only expected to have $2800 - $3000 per year. School and police take up about 66% and 11% respectively.
View attachment 133006

I was about to ask you if you plan to retire at your current house, but I'm not sure anyone would be silly enough to retire there with property tax like that. And to think... I thought my property taxes were bad!

I was about to ask you if you plan to retire at your current house, but I'm not sure anyone would be silly enough to retire there with property tax like that. And to think... I thought my property taxes were bad!
Doubtful...only thing that might screw that up is if either of my kids stay here. I have a senior in college (NH) and a daughter that is a senior in HS. She has been accepted to 7 schools and none of them are closer than 5 hours away. The furthest away is Alabama, then NC and SC. I have encouraged both of them not to come back here when they graduate....we will see on that.

If my daughter stays down south we will likely buy a second house down there. It is nice to know that my current house would bring enough $$ to buy both the PA and future southern house and the running costs would still be less than now.

Doubtful...only thing that might screw that up is if either of my kids stay here. I have a senior in college (NH) and a daughter that is a senior in HS. She has been accepted to 7 schools and none of them are closer than 5 hours away. The furthest away is Alabama, then NC and SC. I have encouraged both of them not to come back here when they graduate....we will see on that.

If my daughter stays down south we will likely buy a second house down there. It is nice to know that my current house would bring enough $$ to buy both the PA and future southern house and the running costs would still be less than now.

Oh yes... kids never leaving home, a parents biggest fear :ROFLMAO:

That's true about your current house. Regardless of property tax, at least you know it would bring in a lot of money if you were ever to sell it.

Reactions: cliffish

Congrats. You are going to get BUSY!