Florida The move to Florida is on!

It's cheap because they have a cap on how much they can get you per year and I have been in this house for twenty five years. If I had to pay starting like a new person it would be about four grand. Scary when you think of retiring and how much taxes and ins. are. I have a rental house half my size with no cap and thats three grand. How are you supposed to retire with one thousand a month in property tax

Reactions: JeepNWilly
The news down here were telling people to board up since Monday posting old pictures of people ransacking Home Depot.

I quit paying attention to the news - and politicians - after my first 'cane here (Irma). When they were "live" and showing "how bad" it was from Cocoa Beach, and I could step outside and see what was going on as I was a long walk away from where they were, they lost what little credibility they had left. I use wunderground.com and the NHS websites, and NOTHING else.

As far as insurance goes, when it gets up to a "certain point", I'm dumping it.

I quit paying attention to the news - and politicians - after my first 'cane here (Irma). When they were "live" and showing "how bad" it was from Cocoa Beach, and I could step outside and see what was going on as I was a long walk away from where they were, they lost what little credibility they had left. I use wunderground.com and the NHS websites, and NOTHING else.

Exactly,

I weathered the 2004/2005 back to back seasons lol. My family weathered Andrew in 1992 in Miami. I was down there with my cousin and headed home to West Palm Beach as soon as it put s bulls eye to Miami-Dade.

Generator shut down after 11 hours when the power came back on. I had the next door neighbor run a cord to run his refrigerator in case the outage lasted several days. He also needed to cut down a tree in his front yard that was completely destroyed, and needed power for that. Genny used a bit less than 1/2 qt of oil, which is about right as it uses about 1 qt per 24 hours running time. Costs roughly $1/hr to run by a crude estimate I did after Irma 5 years ago when it ran almost 3 days.

Put a temporary patch on the latest fence damage using the Milwaukee 1/4" Fuel impact driver @mrblaine talked me into buying - it worked well. Then propped the fence up with a 4x4 that had fallen off of another part. Hopefully, that will stay more-or-less intact until the fence gets replaced, presumably in about 6 weeks.

One of the very last CFL bulbs still in inventory blew tonite when it was turned on - interesting coincidence as it had been off the entire switchover/generator/switchover cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
With Francis I was 14 days without power, Jeanne it was 1 week and same with Wilma. No generator back then. Francis it was hotter thank hell and humid. Jeanne as she passed a cold front swooped down and ot was nice and cool.
I lucked out. When I moved here in '17, something told me out of the blue one day to look for a generator on craigslist. And there it was waiting for me, a used 15/16KW Generac for $1250. Bought it immediately. I had plumbed it for gas, but not yet connected the electrical when Irma hit. The day after, I went to homeless despot and got some #6 wire and temporaried it into the adjacent electrical panel (which I both turned off AND disconnected the feed out of). It was hot, sticky, and by nite #2, we had A/C.

Last edited:
Here's the tad more damage to the rickety old fence that's already under contract to be replaced - made temporary repairs:
DSC01036.JPG

DSC01039.JPG