How many of you think you'll have your TJ for life?

Id probably only sell mine off for an auto TJ. The manual is a great time but can be a PITA when heading into Manhattan or stuck in typical metro traffic. Currently living in the NE, As long as I've got a garage, I plan on keeping my TJ or owning a TJ for the duration of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one reason I'm very happy I bought an auto. I much prefer the auto over the manual (both on-road and off-road). Anytime I get stuck in the city (or in traffic), I am instantly reminded of why I'm so happy I have an automatic.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Without a doubt, I'll have my jeep for life, then my kids will take it. I haven't owned a ton of vehicles, and I really can't remember when it was in my life that I decided I wanted a Jeep, but it took me till almost 40 years of age to get one. It is by far the most fun to drive.

Reactions: fourpointzero
For life. I've thought about it and can only think of one reason to pass it down or sell; if I can't drive or get up in it. I'd much prefer to pass it down to someone who will care for it properly, like one or both of my sons.

Im 20. I have already made the decision that i will always have a wrangler, the Current jeep i have will rust out before i die off and how far it is rusted it isnt worth(financially) repairing it. I have no doubt in my mind(infact i already started putting money aside) that i will get another tj, and a clean one at that. I will be taking care of it till i kick the can. granted i might have another wrangler for DD but i cannot do a different vehicle

Reactions: Chris and LTTJ
I think i'll probably have some sort of jeep...but not this one. It will be long departed and turned to rust before me, I hope. Its already 13 years old, and I plan on living another 40...so yeah, a 54 year old vehicle? probably not.

Reactions: Chris
That and I am tired of constantly throwing money at it.

Seems like some of you guys get lemons (so to speak).

I've never had any major issues with my TJ... ever. But then on the other hand, I hear about some TJ owners (here on the forum) who have nothing but problem after problem. Funny how that works, huh?

Seems like some of you guys get lemons (so to speak).

I've never had any major issues with my TJ... ever. But then on the other hand, I hear about some TJ owners (here on the forum) who have nothing but problem after problem. Funny how that works, huh?

It has not been problematic until it hit 100k then it has been nonstop one thing after another and all of the issues are preventing it from passing inspection. It is 4 months past due.

It is my summer and secondary backup vehicle in case the 4runner goes down. If it cannot be a reliable secondary then it is useleas to me. I am driving my 4runner with blown axle seal because this TJ will not pass.

Reactions: Chris
It has not been problematic until it hit 100k then it has been nonstop one thing after another and all of the issues are preventing it from passing inspection. It is 4 months past due.

It is my summer and secondary backup vehicle in case the 4runner goes down. If it cannot be a reliable secondary then it is useleas to me. I am driving my 4runner with blown axle seal because this TJ will not pass.

Interesting! Sorry you've had such trouble with it. I can see where you're coming from though!

Reactions: StG58

I can relate.
Just sold a car for cheap just to get it out of the driveway....that thing nickel & dimed me to death.
Crazy, my wife bought a new outback in 96 and got 312K out of it without a single issue.
The TJ has been stellar so far but history shows, i don't have great luck with vehicles.
Hope you get another Jeep that serves you well.

Reactions: UpperMI and StG58
I can't see having this particular Jeep forever, but I will most likely only own a Jeep. I would probably still have my XJ if it wasn't for the recurring electrical issues. Plus I had sold my bike and wanted something open that I could also put a car seat in.

I'm with most folks here and, @JMT, I feel the same. My son and daughter both expect it to just stay in the family. So, no, I will not sell it and, when I can't drive it, it just gets passed along. Unlike my '66 Corvette (sold), '67 Alfa Spyder (sold), and other "dang, I wish I hadn't sold that" vehicles, this Jeep will not be added to that list.

Practical? Nah, don't care. I have a Ford Edge for that. This one's for fun and family.

My family owned a jeep dealership in Houston so there's always been one in the family- even since the dealership was sold in the late 80's. I bought my daughter a 2000 tj sport when she turned 16. Told her her if buy her a brand new car or whatever when she graduated college. She did and I did. I kept the jeep for myself and keep it at the beach house to play around with. After a few upgraded mods of course! Fast forward - now have an 11 month old grandson. Already decided the jeep will be handed down to him on his 16th birthday!

Reactions: VallenMaes
I washed and waxed her up. Then took her for a drive with the wife. Couldn't help but get off-road. So she was clean for a few hours. We both took a deep breath and exhaled. You know that feeling of relaxation! I'll drive her till she dies. Even if I put $20k into her, over 30 years that's nothing in terms of cars, nothing at all! And along the way I plan on picking up two more. Wife agrees. We have several kids and if I know one TJ I know the others. Just pick them up with low miles and low owners and no rust and you should be good to go. I'll run through transmissions and broke parts, but that's because I'm having fun, and the engine will still be kickin!

My first vehicle, in 1974 was an M38.... The last great Jeep was built in '06. Yeah, my son is going to inherit my '05 TJR.

And agreed Chris, the CJs, YJ and TJs have been way more fun than anything else I've owned.... and there have been plenty. For the past 20 years I've always had a Wrangler.