How to install a Derale 20561 transmission cooler on your Wrangler TJ

That’s good to know. I was still wondering about a lot of rain on the roads. The only thing I think it should have is a piece of expanded metal across the tubes on the bottom. It will still get plenty of air flow. It will keep anything from the size of 3/8 and larger from hitting the cooler. Maybe I’m over thinking it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're overthinking it, I promise. Here in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, in rains more year round than almost any place in the United States. My Derale never gave me any issues from rain at all. I'd only be concerned with standing water, but I also care enough about my Jeep that I wouldn't take it through standing water that high to begin with!

Reactions: Dawghouse
You're overthinking it, I promise. Here in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, in rains more year round than almost any place in the United States. My Derale never gave me any issues from rain at all. I'd only be concerned with standing water, but I also care enough about my Jeep that I wouldn't take it through standing water that high to begin with!

Your right I am lol

I agree I’m not going through that deep of water either. A lot of guys thinks I have the snorkel for that reason. It’s not. The areas I wheel in summer and fall we have a lot of dust. The dust line is about at the hood line. Fresh air is what it is for.

Thank you Chris for pushing me off the over thinking edge. I needed that. Lol

Reactions: KCsTJ
Your right I am lol

I agree I’m not going through that deep of water either. A lot of guys thinks I have the snorkel for that reason. It’s not. The areas I wheel in summer and fall we have a lot of dust. The dust line is about at the hood line. Fresh air is what it is for.

Thank you Chris for pushing me off the over thinking edge. I needed that. Lol

No problem at all! If you're just talking about heavy rains or puddles, you have nothing to worry about. I did that all the time with mine and it never gave me any issues!

I tend to overthink thinks often as well. Sometimes I just need people to tell me that's what I'm doing, haha.

No problem at all! If you're just talking about heavy rains or puddles, you have nothing to worry about. I did that all the time with mine and it never gave me any issues!

I tend to overthink thinks often as well. Sometimes I just need people to tell me that's what I'm doing, haha.

I thought about getting the temp gauge with it too. But then I remembered Jerry saying he would hear it cut on and off so he knew it was working. That’s all I need

I thought about getting the temp gauge with it too. But then I remembered Jerry saying he would hear it cut on and off so he knew it was working. That’s all I need

Yep, I omitted the temp gauge because I knew when it cycled on, which was usually when sitting in traffic, towing, or going up steep hills.

My trans cooler delivered today. I've got it plumbed and ready to start the wiring. But for some reason the label on the side of the fan is just a red logo for Derale. It doesn't show air flow or wire color to use. I'm glad I read @Jerry Bransford note about the black wire for positive and the blue for ground in order for the fan to pull air over the cooler. I'm hoping to having it installed tomorrow night. Got to work on someone else s jeep tonight.

My trans cooler delivered today. I've got it plumbed and ready to start the wiring. But for some reason the label on the side of the fan is just a red logo for Derale. It doesn't show air flow or wire color to use. I'm glad I read @Jerry Bransford note about the black wire for positive and the blue for ground in order for the fan to pull air over the cooler. I'm hoping to having it installed tomorrow night. Got to work on someone else s jeep tonight.

Hopefully you like it! I'm going to order one for my TJ very soon here. I had one on my old TJ and it was a great piece of mind to have.

When I tested the fan. I smiled, It puts out a lot of cfm's. This little fan is bad a@@

It's a must have if you ask me. It should definitely help to prolong the life of your 42RLE transmission. This is one of those mods most people don't even think about, but it truly is a great addition to the Jeep!

It's a must have if you ask me. It should definitely help to prolong the life of your 42RLE transmission. This is one of those mods most people don't even think about, but it truly is a great addition to the Jeep!

I got it installed Friday night. I will say it would have been easier with an extra set of hands. This is a very nice unit.

Reactions: Chris
I got it installed Friday night. I will say it would have been easier with an extra set of hands. This is a very nice unit.

Yep, it would be easier with an extra set of hands for sure. It’s an awesome unit though, I agree!

I spoke with a tech at Derale this morning. He said as of right now the fans are not waterproof. They are looking to redesign the unit. But they are going to have to go with a 10" fan for it to be waterproof. This is the reason for the complete new design. He said they suggest that a toggle switch to be installed. So when you are in areas of the trail that may have a lot of water. This way you can turn it off, he then said wait a few and turn it back on. I am ordering mine today.
Did they give any kind of time frame? A lot of the trails here have deep standing water, frequently deep enough to slap on the floor of a lifted TJ as you go through.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

Did they give any kind of time frame? A lot of the trails here have deep standing water, frequently deep enough to slap on the floor of a lifted TJ as you go through.

He said it’s a year out. I installed a switch on mine as he suggested to do. I drove home from a jeep meet yesterday in a very strong storm. We’ve had flood warnings here for several days. I checked it out when I got in the garage. It was covered in water from driving. I tested the fan and it works fine.

He said it’s a year out. I installed a switch on mine as he suggested to do. I drove home from a jeep meet yesterday in a very strong storm. We’ve had flood warnings here for several days. I checked it out when I got in the garage. It was covered in water from driving. I tested the fan and it works fine.

Hmm I guess Ive waited this long, another year probably won't kill the trans. I'm concerned about mud and sandy water ingress.

Hmm I guess Ive waited this long, another year probably won't kill the trans. I'm concerned about mud and sandy water ingress.

I am too. I always clean the underside real good after wheeling. I'll just have to make sure I clean the cooler really good. But as long as the fan is off they said no damage should happen. I guess we will see. They told me that several of them have jeeps with this unit on them with no problems.

Nice write up Jerry! (And was that really a an adjustable wrench :D)
I just put a passive cooler on mine ahead of the radiator and wished ever since I had either put a temp gauge on it to make sure it was effective or gone the route you did. I don't drive mine in cold weather so don't mind the passive part but still wonder about how effective it is. Never had any known problems though with trans or fluid breakdown but I never have sent it in for analysis, just visual inspection.

I am too. I always clean the underside real good after wheeling. I'll just have to make sure I clean the cooler really good. But as long as the fan is off they said no damage should happen. I guess we will see. They told me that several of them have jeeps with this unit on them with no problems.
Hmm I may give it a go and see how long it lasts, I only drive 1000km or so a year anyway.