How to replace a distributor the easy way

Either way. After 7 frustrating hours, I towed it to my mechanic. I did mention that the new dist (both) the cam position sensor plugs didn't seem as tight as what I removed. maybe more damage, but we'll see. if that dist was off 1 tooth, I can't see how it could turn the oil pump when it just hits. I actually made it 1 tooth off on purpose one of the 10 times I had it out and it just bumped to a stop not seated. We'll see what happens. I trust him, he's a good guy. The write up is great, I think I just have something else going on

Definitely curious to know what it is. If there's something I missed to make the process work better I'm glad to update it.

A related question. I have a 97 TJ 4L 6 cyl. that I bought used with 120k on it. I am not sure what has been done to it and so thought that I would replace the distributor cap and rotor, and air filter. Is it necessary and how often? once a year? once every 10 years? thanks.

I’m not sure if it’s part of any sort of required maintenance procedure. I’ve had some old cars with ostensibly original diz caps— a 66, a 79, and now a 97. They all looked more or less the same inside. So I would say only replace if you’re having issues and can zero in on it being a likely culprit.

The air filter should be replaced regularly.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low