Howdy y'all from Texas!

Didn't know you're in Grapevine. Cool. I'm in Lewisville and I help a YJ buddy of mine fix his Jeep frequently in Grapevine where he lives. If you ever need a hand wrenching, let me know. I'm almost always more than willing to help if you need the extra hands. I know what it's like to need the help and not have the hands available.
That's awesome! We should definitely get together sometime. I'm more than happy to work on an old jeep myself. We have a 71 Jeepster Commando and an 06 LJ. We are always working on something!

Reactions: Brantley
That's awesome! We should definitely get together sometime. I'm more than happy to work on an old jeep myself. We have a 71 Jeepster Commando and an 06 LJ. We are always working on something!

Sounds great! Between the 3 of us, that's 4 Jeeps to mess around with. My friend actually just bought some skid plate nutserts from Blaine because 5 of his 6 stripped out, so that will be a project we will be working on as soon as he's free and has all of the parts and tools together.

Reactions: Jeepersteve71
Sounds great! Between the 3 of us, that's 4 Jeeps to mess around with. My friend actually just bought some skid plate nutserts from Blaine because 5 of his 6 stripped out, so that will be a project we will be working on as soon as he's free and has all of the parts and tools together.
Sounds good! Just shoot me a PM and let me know when y'all are meeting and I'll let you know what I can and cannot do (as far as dates and times go. Still have to get approval from the boss lol)!

Welcome! I live in Grapevine. We should meet up sometime. Lots of local clubs in the area. Look them up on Facebook if you haven't already. North Texas Jeep Club and Predator Jeep Club (I didn't choose the name lol).

You're the third person to tell me that! I'm one of those crazy people who doesn't have Facebook anymore, but I might have to get back on it. I'm going to check out the North Texas Jeep Club soon I think! The dealer that flipped my Rubi installed a terrible lift, so I maybe want to get that fixed first so no one will judge me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, from another Texan!

I'm from all over this state, raised in Beaumont, student at A&M, parents moved to Conroe, and I'm currently in Lewisville for an internship in Dallas til December when I go back to College Station. It's hot out, but I love this state.

I'm in Dallas proper, so if you need any restaurant recommendations while you're here I'm happy to help! There are probably a lot better options than in College Station, if my Aggie lab-mate is to be believed!

Also most people who live in the Dallas area go to Bridgeport,TX. It's about an hour and a half away. The other closest place is Gilmer, TX that is around 2 1/2 hours away. I hear not to go to Bridgeport until it's been dry for two weeks or so because it will either take forever to clean or the red clay will never come off. I hear Gilmer is much nicer but it is further. I'm originally from Texarkana, TX and have a lot of friends in Arkansas. If I go anywhere it's usually on a family friends private property when we are hunting, or I'll just take a road trip to Hot Springs like I did recently. Roughly 5-6 hours away.

Ooh, thanks! I've got a few good recommendations for Oklahoma, but not many in Texas!

I'm in Dallas proper, so if you need any restaurant recommendations while you're here I'm happy to help! There are probably a lot better options than in College Station, if my Aggie lab-mate is to be believed!

For sure, feel free to share those any time, I would appreciate them! College Station has very poor choices...most of the things there, I can get from both Beaumont and Houston...except for things like local Tex-Mex in Bryan and such.

You're the third person to tell me that! I'm one of those crazy people who doesn't have Facebook anymore, but I might have to get back on it. I'm going to check out the North Texas Jeep Club soon I think! The dealer that flipped my Rubi installed a terrible lift, so I maybe want to get that fixed first so no one will judge me!

Well if you need any help or reccomendations just let me know! I have build thread on our LJ on here. The only thing I haven't done myself is install the tires, exhaust, and alignment. There is one thing I have learned with these TJ's and that is less is more (if you plan to daily drive it). They are extremely capable out of the box and if you daily drive one it will make it nicer on those heavy traffic days lol. I'd say 33's and a small lift is very comfortable for daily driving and enhances your Rubicon's capability just enough for you to have a lot of fun and gives it a solid aggressive look. Here is a pick of our LJ. 77,800 original miles.
IMG_5736.JPG

Reactions: Chris and JMT
Well if you need any help or reccomendations just let me know! I have build thread on our LJ on here. The only thing I haven't done myself is install the tires, exhaust, and alignment. There is one thing I have learned with these TJ's and that is less is more (if you plan to daily drive it). They are extremely capable out of the box and if you daily drive one it will make it nicer on those heavy traffic days lol. I'd say 33's and a small lift is very comfortable for daily driving and enhances your Rubicon's capability just enough for you to have a lot of fun and gives it a solid aggressive look. Here is a pick of our LJ. 77,800 original miles. View attachment 18661

Nice Jeep, thanks! I specifically looked for one with as much original stock as possible because I'm all about the less is more, also. I had the brakes done and got some new tires, but otherwise haven't done anything yet.

The lift needs to be replaced and I'm already making arrangements for that. I'm wanting the 2.5in OME lift (if I can find one!) to replace the home brew lift I have, and that should do nicely. I've got the stock rims and 265/75R16 tires, so that'll be just fine.

After that, I'll probably replace all the lights with LED and call it a day.

How do you like the trek top?

Last edited by a moderator:
For sure, feel free to share those any time, I would appreciate them! College Station has very poor choices...most of the things there, I can get from both Beaumont and Houston...except for things like local Tex-Mex in Bryan and such.

Like BBQ? Slow Bone on Irving blvd is awesome. For Americana, full bar, and big beer selection we like The Common Table in uptown. I also like The Ginger Man in uptown for beer and a small menu of pub food. Both Thai2Go and Crushcraft are great Thai food, but Thai2go has a bigger menu. Hamburgers... we'll take your pick. Twisted Root on SMU Blvd is my personal favorite, but there are several other good ones.

Nice Jeep, thanks! I specifically looked for one with as much original stock as possible because I'm all about the less is more, also. I had the brakes done and got some new tires, but otherwise haven't done anything yet.

The lift needs to be replaced and I'm already making arrangements for that. I'm wanting the 2.5in OME lift (if I can find one!) to replace the home brew lift I have, and that should do nicely. I've got the stock rims and 265/75R16 tires, so that'll be just fine.

After that, I'll probably replace all the lights with LED and call it a day.

How do you like the trek top?

Check out 4Wheelparts. They have a shop in downtown Dallas and a huge warehouse in Coppell. I wouldn't reccomend having them install the OME lift for you but I can gaurantee they sell them. I'd say your rims and tire set up is perfect with that lift. I'm still looking for a decent set of TJ Rubicon rims in decent shape that won't break the bank lol. My favorite shop here in this area is Screaming lizzard. They know TJ's/LJ's better than anyone. They have an LJ on 37's and a TJ brute conversion that they off-road all the time. Great guys anencephaly fair prices.

We love the trek top. If you are going to get one I highly reccomend bestop. They truly are the best top on the market. Really nice that you can unzip the windows and leave the rest on. Nothing stopping you from getting on the road. We have a spider web shade under it that stays on full time. The sunrider feature is really nice and is even nicer with the mesh top so we aren't getting pounded underneath this Texas sun.

I know as far as LED headlamps go there are to many to keep up with these days. I like products that you only buy once lol. That being said I would stay away from the Amazon ones and instead buy a name brand that will stand behind them if anything were to happen (fill up with water and etc). Anything you buy will be a massive upgrade over the factory sealed beams and I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you buy. I know the more popular ones for the TJ's that are name brand are Truck lite, KC, and JW Speaker. I'm personally to cheap to buy LED headlights (at this moment in time at least) so I spent $40 and put some free JK head lamps in the LJ with a $10 wiring harness adapter and some $30 upgraded bulbs. Still better than the sealed beams, looks factory, and not to mention dirt cheap lol. Hope all of this helps!

Reactions: LTTJ
Check out 4Wheelparts. They have a shop in downtown Dallas and a huge warehouse in Coppell. I wouldn't reccomend having them install the OME lift for you but I can gaurantee they sell them. I'd say your rims and tire set up is perfect with that lift. I'm still looking for a decent set of TJ Rubicon rims in decent shape that won't break the bank lol. My favorite shop here in this area is Screaming lizzard. They know TJ's/LJ's better than anyone. They have an LJ on 37's and a TJ brute conversion that they off-road all the time. Great guys anencephaly fair prices.

We love the trek top. If you are going to get one I highly reccomend bestop. They truly are the best top on the market. Really nice that you can unzip the windows and leave the rest on. Nothing stopping you from getting on the road. We have a spider web shade under it that stays on full time. The sunrider feature is really nice and is even nicer with the mesh top so we aren't getting pounded underneath this Texas sun.

I know as far as LED headlamps go there are to many to keep up with these days. I like products that you only buy once lol. That being said I would stay away from the Amazon ones and instead buy a name brand that will stand behind them if anything were to happen (fill up with water and etc). Anything you buy will be a massive upgrade over the factory sealed beams and I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you buy. I know the more popular ones for the TJ's that are name brand are Truck lite, KC, and JW Speaker. I'm personally to cheap to buy LED headlights (at this moment in time at least) so I spent $40 and put some free JK head lamps in the LJ with a $10 wiring harness adapter and some $30 upgraded bulbs. Still better than the sealed beams, looks factory, and not to mention dirt cheap lol. Hope all of this helps!

Thanks for all the info! I am actually really close to the new Dallas Offroad location, so I went to visit those guys about doing the lift. They spent like 2 hours looking at the jeep and working up different options. Very nice guys.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of 4wheelparts. They did my brakes, but I refuse to pay people to treat me like I'm stupid because I'm a woman. The customer service from multiple trips there just wasn't acceptable to me. I'd much rather just buy stuff from amazon or go elsewhere.

I have been thinking about a similar plan for the top as you have, but I don't want to sell my hardtop and I need to figure out how to store it before I do anything!

I never realized owning a Jeep would be such a lifestyle change!

Thanks for all the info! I am actually really close to the new Dallas Offroad location, so I went to visit those guys about doing the lift. They spent like 2 hours looking at the jeep and working up different options. Very nice guys.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of 4wheelparts. They did my brakes, but I refuse to pay people to treat me like I'm stupid because I'm a woman. The customer service from multiple trips there just wasn't acceptable to me. I'd much rather just buy stuff from amazon or go elsewhere.

I have been thinking about a similar plan for the top as you have, but I don't want to sell my hardtop and I need to figure out how to store it before I do anything!

I never realized owning a Jeep would be such a lifestyle change!

I don't have have a whole lot of experience with the guys at Dallas off-road. I haven't heard a lot of negatives though. I've heard that too about 4WP. I guess it's always hit or miss. I have a buddy that works there so if he isn't there that day I don't go. The only thing 4WP has done to our Jeep is the tires. We've had other shops do the alignment and exhaust.

I install everything else myself. Just easier and cheaper that way. Haven't ran into any huge snags doing it myself thus far. I will say I'm not good with electrical at all. Unless it's an un plug and plug new wires right back in I try to avoid it at all cost lol. If anything I'll have a friend or my dad hold my hand through the process haha.

Reactions: JMT
Welcome, from another Texan!

I'm from all over this state, raised in Beaumont, student at A&M, parents moved to Conroe, and I'm currently in Lewisville for an internship in Dallas til December when I go back to College Station. It's hot out, but I love this state.
Im going to be moving to College Station around february, hows that off road ranch there? Is it any good?