Hurricane Irma

I received an automated call last night to tell me that my office will be closed on Monday.

TJ is tucked safely away and already loaded with recovery tools. As soon as the storm is over and it's safe, several of us from the neighborhood are going to go out and start clearing debris to make way for emergency vehicles and residents. A neighbor down the street brought in some kind of converted F350 doomsday rescue truck thing. I'm going to get some pics if I can.

IMG_6527.JPG

Couple things I have learned so far.

1. We need more fuel. We have all three vehicles gassed up, but only a small two gallon can as extra. I have two five gallon Jerry cans and racks for the Jeep up in Maine, but that does nothing for me here.

2. I should have had plywood window covers made and stored a long time ago. I'm pretty happy with the three that are covering the windows in my office (they could be better but I did the best that I could with the plywood that I was able to find). I would have liked to have made another three more for the downstairs, as it would have provided for extremely safe passage around the downstairs.

3. Absolutely should have a small portable generator. Just something that can power a window AC unit so we can keep one room in the house cool for us and the dogs or use it if we had to evacuate somewhere.

4. In addition to regular food, we have twelve days worth of MREs if we each eat two a day (which is about 2800 calories so my wife should only have one). I think I would like a solid two weeks worth.

5. No matter how many lists you make, there is always something else to do. However, that was actually a blessing yesterday. My wife and I were able to get the focus and anxiety off of the coming storm by using that energy on tasks around the house and helping neighbors prepare.

Last edited:
Holy cow... Check out that tree it uprooted. That must be some strong wind. Lucky too, because it could have fallen on the house!

Stay safe guys, and keep us posted. I'm surprised there's internet or cell service still.

Reactions: StG58
Yea the tree was completely uprooted. My power has gone out twice and come back. Since the back to back hurricanes from 2004 the cell towers have improved and added generators to keep communications up. Back in 2004 and 2005 during Jean, Frances and Wilma cell service was totally taken out in my area.

Reactions: Chris