I found a nearly OEM looking head unit that has Bluetooth and hands free calling (made by Continental)

Looks VERY similar to the Jensen I've been looking at. I don't remember if the Jensen has bluetooth or not (don't care myself), but its supposedly "ruggedized". I'll have to compare the two further as this Continental seems to be a bit cheaper.

Reactions: zebra12
I work for an IC manufacturer and one of our customers is Continental or “Conti” if you’re in the business.

Check out their corporate website. They make way more than tires :oops:
OP: FWIW, I like the look of that head unit.

Reactions: AMS417 and psrivats
How is it for water proofing? My neighbor put a fancy aftermarket double din touch screen thingy (technical term) in his Jeep and got caught in a downpour with no top. They saw it coming and got under a bank drive through overhang in a minute or two and rode the small storm out. The next day, 1/2 the functions on his do-dad (alternate technical term) didn't function. Eventually the only damage were water marks behind his screen face.

Is it water resistant? I couldn't find that reading through the website. I'm not sure the OEM version is either for that matter, but it's something I would have to consider. He rides with a bikini top now to prevent water coming straight down on the dash in the case of emergency. Pop up storms are one of the hazards of living here. Not as bad a Florida.

The Jensen is - to an extent. They make a big deal that their circuit boards are conformal coated, but they're apparently not water/splash proof.

How is it for water proofing? My neighbor put a fancy aftermarket double din touch screen thingy (technical term) in his Jeep and got caught in a downpour with no top. They saw it coming and got under a bank drive through overhang in a minute or two and rode the small storm out. The next day, 1/2 the functions on his do-dad (alternate technical term) didn't function. Eventually the only damage were water marks behind his screen face.

Is it water resistant? I couldn't find that reading through the website. I'm not sure the OEM version is either for that matter, but it's something I would have to consider. He rides with a bikini top now to prevent water coming straight down on the dash in the case of emergency. Pop up storms are one of the hazards of living here. Not as bad a Florida.

The Clarion M508 is a marine head unit and has a thin plastic cover that protects the circuitry from water from above if you are concerned about rain.

Reactions: Zorba
I work for an IC manufacturer and one of our customers is Continental or “Conti” if you’re in the business.

Check out their corporate website. They make way more than tires :oops:
OP: FWIW, I like the look of that head unit.

I deal with Conti as a supplier. They bought Siemens-VDO years back (2007-ish for like 15 billion dollars). Huge conglomeration that makes a diverse line of high tech auto components. They make good tires too. I would imagine the stereo would be a solid piece.

my son wants to put a new screen stereo with all the bells and whistles in his 2004 tj sport any ideas of which ones will fit and are they hard to install

It was $170 shipped to my house. I chose to buy it from a reputable company within the US that is a licensed distributor and therefore offers warranty and returns. I was able to talk to them on the phone and they answered all my questions clearly and patiently.

There are sellers from Eastern Europe and Germany that offer it for less, but after you factor shipping, it's not that much less. Plus it will take longer and what do you do if it ends up damaged in shipping or something?

I know people are going to say it's too expensive and that I could have bought a headunit and possibly amps for that price, but I would not have bought any of what I saw on Crutchfield irrespective of price. So yes, I did pay for looks/functionality combination that I wanted. Sometimes simplicity is expensive.
Have you installed this radio yet, Sri? No installed pictures, like you promised! :)

Have you installed this radio yet, Sri? No installed pictures, like you promised! :)

I put it in my XJ ! It's great and works flawlessly. I need to get one for the Wrangler.

IMG_20200430_115659.jpg

IMG_20200430_115718.jpg

Reactions: zebra12 and Mike_H
I put it in my XJ ! It's great and works flawlessly. I need to get one for the Wrangler.

View attachment 178448

View attachment 178449

Hey there hope you're doing well! I just stumbled across this thread as I just purchased the same radio for my 95 XJ and was looking for some advice on the install.

1) Were there any unexpected difficulties you ran into while installing this?

2) How did you deal with the ground wire?

3) Is the harness you posted the only other piece of hardware that you needed to complete the installation?

Thanks in advance! I've never installed a new head unit before so this seems like a daunting task, especially with the European wiring haha

Hey there hope you're doing well! I just stumbled across this thread as I just purchased the same radio for my 95 XJ and was looking for some advice on the install.

1) Were there any unexpected difficulties you ran into while installing this?

2) How did you deal with the ground wire?

3) Is the harness you posted the only other piece of hardware that you needed to complete the installation?

Thanks in advance! I've never installed a new head unit before so this seems like a daunting task, especially with the European wiring haha

No unexpected difficulties, it was pretty straightforward. I did not need anything other than the harness that I posted. Don't remember exactly what I did with the ground wire .. I just followed the wiring diagram that came with the stereo.

You can contact our resident guru @skrelnik if you run into trouble. He's the master with these things.

• Love
Reactions: skrelnik
No unexpected difficulties, it was pretty straightforward. I did not need anything other than the harness that I posted. Don't remember exactly what I did with the ground wire .. I just followed the wiring diagram that came with the stereo.

You can contact our resident guru @skrelnik if you run into trouble. He's the master with these things.

Thank you so much for the speedy reply! I will be attempting the project and hopefully not need to contact anyone else haha. I'm looking forward to having a working stereo

Reactions: psrivats
Nice looking deck. I have a JVC in mine currently and, while it is functioning fine and I am happy with the sound, it has to be the least intuitive deck I have ever owned. I can't stand the menus I have to navigate to make small changes.

Ditto--I must have the same deck--not very user friendly!

I am going to annoy you one last time. Did you buy an adapter for the radio antenna port? The hole is a lot smaller than the XJ antenna cable and I am having the hardest time finding a solution. Thanks in advance!