I think I have a problem (2003 TJ Rubicon - TJ#9)

NJW

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Just need a place to put my thoughts down and think through a recent purchase.
I have a problem passing up a good deal. This is my 9th TJ.

I had set out to find another LJR, but came across this instead.

Here's my latest TJ - a 2003 Rubicon. 41K miles, zero rust anywhere.

Outside of one of the TJ's in the last 5 years, I've never purchased one with the intention to flip it for a profit. I'm torn on this one though. I picked it up for cheaper than normal, because the speedometer wasn't working, Found a fix here, thanks to the forum. It went up Facebook Marketplace on a Sunday morning. I just happened to have some cash on hand from a snowmobile purchase, and drove an hour in a blizzard to check it out. Wound up paying off, as it's in way better shape than I expected.

The problem I'm having is this though - all of my previous TJ's were manual. I'd be sold on this one if it was. Almost everything else is perfect for what I'm looking for. I'm trying to give the auto a shot. Will I eventually grow accustomed to it? I know regearing would be my best solution (still has 4.11's), but I don't necessarily want to drop the coin and still be disappointed that I'm driving a manual.

Debating selling this and buying a manual TJ or even offering up a trade for someone +/- cash. Haven't decided yet, but figured you guys would be able to help me think it through more clearly.

While I'm making up my mind, I ordered new seat covers (this is my first TJ that had the vinyl faux leather seats, still in good shape, just want to keep them that way), a new BedRug kit (PO removed the carpet) and found some white windshield hinges (just wasn't a fan of the black, didn't get a chance to find out why they were replaced).

If I wind up keeping it and regearing, I'll be replacing the front bumper. I'm not a fan of the smittybuilt tube style or the side steps the PO installed.

IMG_6733.JPG

If you don’t want an auto, get rid of that awful bumper, side steps, and get some Moab look-a-like wheels. Then flip it.

P.s. 98% of the people on this forum have a problem.

Having just completed the arduous adventure of converting mine to an auto (on purpose), I think you will be fine. The regear should happen either way.

Having just completed the arduous adventure of converting mine to an auto (on purpose), I think you will be fine. The regear should happen either way.

do you think 5.38’s would be overkill for the 33’s? Would want to leave room for 35’s when these wear out if I keep it. They have a lot of life left currently.

do you think 5.38’s would be overkill for the 33’s? Would want to leave room for 35’s when these wear out if I keep it.

5.38 with the 42rle is more appropriate for 33s than it is for 35s. We rarely ever see 5.89 because it requires different lockers.

33s
42rle/32”/5.13=2788rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/5.38=2923rpm @ 75mph
42rle/32”/5.89=3200rpm @ 75mph

35"
42rle/33.875"/5.13=2633rpm @ 75mph
42rle/33.875"/5.38=2762rpm @ 75mph
42rle/33.875"/5.89=3023rpm @ 75mph

Last edited:
Reactions: NJW and Irun
You may want to do the overdrive mod to make that tranny work with big tires at about any ratio. It is in the how to section.

I have a nice white 03 manual Rubi with 73,000 miles I will swap for a white auto if it has no rust and decent mileage. PM me if you want to kick it around- may be tomorrow before I respond.

do you think 5.38’s would be overkill for the 33’s? Would want to leave room for 35’s when these wear out if I keep it.
You may want to do the overdrive mod to make that tranny work with big tires at about any ratio. It is in the how to section.

I have a nice white 03 manual Rubi with 73,000 miles I will swap for a white auto if it has no rust and decent mileage. PM me if you want to kick it around- may be tomorrow before I respond.

PM’d.

do you think 5.38’s would be overkill for the 33’s? Would want to leave room for 35’s when these wear out if I keep it. They have a lot of life left currently.

I regeared to 5.13 on my previous auto TJR with 33s and while it was much better than 4.10 I wished I had gone all the way to 5.38.

Reactions: Irun
I've never found a way around it. Automatics numb my brain. I doubt that will ever change.
How nice of a vehicle it was didn't make a difference.
As soon as I found myself shifting the auto manually it was time to sell it.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I also just finished up putting an auto into my previously manual Rubicon. My 42RLE has had some work done to it, and its shifts very firmly and nicely. I have 4.88's with 35's and while I wish I had deeper gears I don't hate it. Its SO much nicer to drive than the manual, IMHO. I think you should regear it and drive it a while. You might get used to it. If you don't, having the gears done will make it feel much nicer to the next guy.

Reactions: jjvw