I4 reliability?

To your original question I have 173k on mine still runs strong. Well as strong as the 4 angry squirrels can go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a 97 with the 2.5. I beat the hell out of it. I would say that the 2.5 is bulletproof, maybe even better than the 4.0. It can't be killed, even with silver bullets.
I would guess the 2.4 is similar

BUT

Mine drove me nuts. For example, There's a big hill nearby that I called Mount M**********r because I had to climb it in 3rd and the best I could do was about 50 mph with people giving me a lot of 1 finger salutes.

If you ever plan to get on an interstate and go more than 60 MPH, get the 4.0, you'll be much happier in the end, no offense to the 2.5 guys.

Reactions: Chris
I'm on my second Jeep 2.5. The first was an '87 XJ, manual. The odometer stopped working around 220,000 miles. The family drove the snot out of that rig for about another three years. The rest of the Jeep was worn out, but the 2.5 was still happily motoring along. That's with indifferent maintenance. The current 2.5 only has 100,000 miles on it, so who knows.

Mine drove me nuts. For example, There's a big hill nearby that I called Mount M**********r because I had to climb it in 3rd and the best I could do was about 50 mph with people giving me a lot of 1 finger salutes.

That's how I feel about my old 89 Cherokee XJ. The 4 cylinder in that thing drove me NUTS on the highway. I had people flipping me off left and right, probably because they thought I was intentionally going slow, when in reality I was going as fast as I could!

That's some funny stuff lol. Traffic on cali highways normally slow as Fuck anyways and I don't plant on doing more than 30 miles or so on high way a month with no grades

Yeah, if you're in California you aren't going to be going anywhere fast, so the I4 is probably right up your alley!

Yeah, if you're in California you aren't going to be going anywhere fast, so the I4 is probably right up your alley!
Well either this will end up a lesson in life for me or my gem who knows but making the trip for that red 97 2.5 5 speed that I posted pics up. If the engine and transmission are in good running shape and there's minimal to no rust I'll be paying $5000 for it. I know it has 160k miles on it so what should I be looking for tomorrow with that high of miles

I can find 97-99 tjs with the 2.5 and decent shape interior for $8-10k with 122k miles and to me I feel for $5k purchase price and $600-$2k on interior and some trim paint for fenders this jeep can be very nice and clean. If the soft top doesn't leak I'll beat it up over the summer and purchase a new one next winter I really like this 3 in 1 trail top I found on quadra

I think that as long as you buy the 4 cylinder knowing that it will absolutely suck balls on the highway, you'll be fine. So in other words, as long as you're not buying it with the intention of highway commuting, I think you won't regret it at all.

It's people who buy it and do a ton of highway driving that end up kicking themselves later.

Can anyone tell me about that passenger door? I'm really not that familiar with the interior of tjs and am abit concerned about the way it's hanging.I was informed the soft top didn't leak at all durning this recent cali storm

That's just the interior of the upper passenger side door skin. As long as the frame is straight (and you'll know that it is if the holes of the frame line up to the slots in the top of the door) then replacing the skin is fairly inexpensive. Each skin will add $30-$50 to the cost of a soft top when you buy a new soft top. When you look at the jeep, just pull the upper door out. Its only held in by gravity so it pulls straight up. as long as the frame comes up fairy easy and sits correctly when the door is closed, its good. Look at the you tube video from Best top. Go to the 10:15 spot and watch it for 2 minutes. This part shows you how they change out the door skin on the frame. Pretty straight forward.

Idk what it is
I think that as long as you buy the 4 cylinder knowing that it will absolutely suck balls on the highway, you'll be fine. So in other words, as long as you're not buying it with the intention of highway commuting, I think you won't regret it at all.

It's people who buy it and do a ton of highway driving that end up kicking themselves later.
Yeah very limited high way use. I'm prepared for that. The most high way its gonna see is getting it home LOL!

Well either this will end up a lesson in life for me or my gem who knows but making the trip for that red 97 2.5 5 speed that I posted pics up. If the engine and transmission are in good running shape and there's minimal to no rust I'll be paying $5000 for it. I know it has 160k miles on it so what should I be looking for tomorrow with that high of miles

Around here 5k for that red TJ isn't a bad price, and it WOULD have some rust. Most decent yj and tjs in this region are always priced between 4 and 6 thousand with the 4 banger engines.

CJs have gotten silly expensive, especially the late 70's Renegades.

yj and tj Sports and Saharas with 4.0s are 5-7k and even a lot more for 03-06, depending on mileage.

I was looking at your pics...does anybody else think those seats look like YJ upholstery?

That's just the interior of the upper passenger side door skin. As long as the frame is straight (and you'll know that it is if the holes of the frame line up to the slots in the top of the door) then replacing the skin is fairly inexpensive. Each skin will add $30-$50 to the cost of a soft top when you buy a new soft top. When you look at the jeep, just pull the upper door out. Its only held in by gravity so it pulls straight up. as long as the frame comes up fairy easy and sits correctly when the door is closed, its good. Look at the you tube video from Best top. Go to the 10:15 spot and watch it for 2 minutes. This part shows you how they change out the door skin on the frame. Pretty straight forward.

Thank you very much. Very useful.

Around here 5k for that red TJ isn't a bad price, and it WOULD have some rust. Most decent yj and tjs in this region are always priced between 4 and 6 thousand with the 4 banger engines.

CJs have gotten silly expensive, especially the late 70's Renegades.

yj and tj Sports and Saharas with 4.0s are 5-7k and even a lot more for 03-06, depending on mileage.

I was looking at your pics...does anybody else think those seats look like YJ upholstery?

Yeah exactly and your lucky to find them that cheap here in central cali :/ Like you said normally have rust and the lot in that price range. This TJ seems very rust free from what iv been told really hope its true. If it all goes well ill be adding some pics of it tomorrow as me and a buddy are taking the trip up to hopefully bring it home.

Last edited:
I'd pass on the red one only cuz I bought my 99 with 81k miles for $7k. It's a 4 cyl, 5 speed, was in mint condition, no rust, and had all service records. It even included ONE cigarette under the seat. You can do you better than the red one, just keep looking.

As for the 4 cyl, mine has 104k miles on it and the manifold gasket was bad. It sucked cuz the rear most bolt of the exhaust manifold broke off. Now the head has to come off. Other than that no problems with the 4 cyl. It's not as bad on the highway as people make it out to be. I have 31's and no cargo and I can stay in 5th 98% of the time. It's a different story once you start adding heavy accessories and loading it up with cargo.

Did they just cut up a brand new door skin?