Idle air control valve replacement

Mcswain03

I was going to replace my idle air control valve today but I had to take the mount off to get to it. I realized it was because the bottom bolt was rounded. I haven’t got it off yet but I also cracked the gasket on the mount. Is there a more exact name for it other than the idle air control valve mount or where I can get one so I can replace that as well?

image.jpg

image.jpg

What year is it for? They changed over the years, so knowing what year and what engine you have would help tremendously.

They rarely actually go bad, why not just clean it and its plunger's orifice in the TB with some throttle body cleaner?

Last edited:
What about a place to get the mount from as well because I’m still not able to get the bolt of?

I can guarantee the only place you'll find that is on eBay, or http://car-part.com (it searches all the auto wrecking yards within X miles of your zip codes).

That's not something you're going to find unless it's on a vehicle someone is parting out (hence the http://car-part.com link).

If you have to make your own, this may help instead of trying to trace it. I found this on another Jeep forum.

I have also seen people use RTV allowing it plenty of dry time.

IAC Gasket.jpg

Can you grab the bolt head with a pair or vice grips? Needle nose vise grips might work better. Then just replace the bolt with the same size from a hardware store.

Can you grab the bolt head with a pair or vice grips? Needle nose vise grips might work better. Then just replace the bolt with the same size from a hardware store.
Unfortunately I did try that and there was no movement out of it at all. I just did what jerry recommended and just cleaned it and put it back together. I’ll probably just grab it off a part out Jeep one day.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Unfortunately I did try that and there was no movement out of it at all. I just did what jerry recommended and just cleaned it and put it back together. I’ll probably just grab it off a part out Jeep one day.
Hopefully you also cleaned the orifice in the throttle body the IAC's plunger fits into. That has to be just as clean as the IAC is to prevent the same problems a dirty IAC causes. The easiest way to clean it is to spray TB cleaner into the throttle body while the engine is idling. Revving the engine during this will bypass the IAC and the orifice so the cleaner will bypass both and not clean them.

Hopefully you also cleaned the orifice in the throttle body the IAC's plunger fits into. That has to be just as clean as the IAC is to prevent the same problems a dirty IAC causes. The easiest way to clean it is to spray TB cleaner into the throttle body while the engine is idling. Revving the engine during this will bypass the IAC and the orifice so the cleaner will bypass both and not clean them.

Jerry I know you recommend leaving it in place which I believe would work if you maintain a regular cleaning schedule starting with a clean TB.

When I cleaned mine I’m not so sure your method would’ve done a good enough job. I sprayed the day lights out of all the disassembled parts and I still needed a significant amount of elbow grease to get them clean.

Now that mines clean I will be following your recommendation.

That damn gasket took the most time of it all. Cut mine from NAPA stock gasket material.

Reactions: Zorba
I was wo dering if i could find a replacement mount as well. I was checking mine recently and it seems the previous owner had the iac valve replaced and whoever changed it must have cut the old bolts off and replaced it with a bolt and nut but there are obvious saw marks between the valve and where it attaches to the mount