Impact and accessories

Here are the tubs @Chris. One has tools and one has recovery gear. Everything was strapped down.

IMG_4386.JPG

Reactions: jgaz and Chris
Looks Good!
Do these boxes stack well? Do the indentations on the lid accept a mating protrusion on the bottom of a second box or is the bottom of the box basically flat?

Reactions: Serbonze
Looks Good!
Do these boxes stack well? Do the indentations on the lid accept a mating protrusion on the bottom of a second box or is the bottom of the box basically flat?

Yep, they basically lock together so they stack great.

Reactions: jgaz and Chris
It's went with a 36 inch under mount tool box. With a tad of massaging it fit right in and bolted down. Did a shelf inside and tie downs on top. Great for tools and straps. And it's lockable.

bdd6cd8ef382111f34ac9f7e9b2c5586.jpg

7c46a12fbf59d6f0d7d182dcad023cd3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
My friend Bill had the same box in the back of his TJ. During the last little round of mods so we could lower it a bit so he can get in and out easier, I commented to him that his box had to weigh over 400 lbs even though he protested vehemently that I was wrong and it couldn't be any more than half that.

After he got me the box weight, Matt and I pulled every item out of it, tossed each on scale and threw it back in the box. Added it up when we were done and it was right at 390 lbs. He has since put it on a diet, got rid of the box, and trimmed down the extraneous crap that other folks want him to carry and now he just carries for himself.

I did the same thing about 9-10 years ago.

I'll get a pic the next time you leave the house and we'll compare. ;)
One thing I had forgotten to mention before, my right-rear spring had gone bad so I replaced both rear springs last year. It no longer sags, plus it has good new shocks now.

Out of pure curiosity, I just got through weighing everything in my aluminum rear box.
SAE & metric tool rolls: 22.8 lbs.
Stick welding kit: 26 lbs.
Recovery & tree straps: 10.4 lbs.
Recovery chain: 11.6 lbs.
Electrical repair bag: 9.4 lbs.
Spare driveshaft: 15.8 lbs.
Safety Seal Tire Plug kit & 1st Aid bag: 6.4 lbs.
Gear lube & 2 ATF quarts: 5.6 lbs.
Spare yoke & misc. spare hardware like control arm bolts: 6.0 lbs.
Trash can temporarily filled with u-joints, duct tape, serpentine belt, 2 radiator hoses,
Warn winch control, GPS, snatch rope, ARB tire deflator, 5' spare transmission hose,
soft shackle, spare Warn hub, CO2 inflator hose, tarp, and a roll of toilet paper! 23.8 lbs.

Total is 137.8 lbs., nowhere near your friend's 400 lbs.

Oh, add 29 lbs. for the CO2 tank/mount located outside of the aluminum box. :)

Jeep-tools-&-parts.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and Serbonze
One thing I had forgotten to mention before, my right-rear springs had gone bad so I replaced them both last year. It no longer sags, plus it has good new shocks now.

Out of pure curiosity, I just got through weighing everything in my aluminum rear box.
SAE & metric tool rolls: 22.8 lbs.
Stick welding kit: 26 lbs.
Recovery & tree straps: 10.4 lbs.
Recovery chain: 11.6 lbs.
Electrical repair bag: 9.4 lbs.
Spare driveshaft: 15.8 lbs.
Safety Seal Tire Plug kit & 1st Aid bag: 6.4 lbs.
Gear lube & 2 ATF quarts: 5.6 lbs.
Spare yoke & misc. spare hardware like control arm bolts: 6.0 lbs.
Trash can with u-joints, duct tape, serpentine belt, 2 radiator hoses,
Warn winch control, GPS, snatch rope, ARB tire deflator, 5' spare transmission hose,
soft shackle, spare Warn hub, CO2 inflator hose, tarp,
and a roll of toilet paper! 23.8 lbs.

Total is 137.8 lbs., nowhere near your friend's 400 lbs.

Oh, add 19 lbs. for the CO2 tank/mount located outside of the aluminum box. :)

View attachment 9730
and the box weight?

Regardless, that is considerably less than what you had in it when you broke out on Sledge both times and that's a good thing. It is nice of you to mention that you did change springs because I know the few times you left here going up the hill the back was sagging badly.

No clue on the aluminum box's weight. It has been 7-8 years since I installed it and HFT no longer sells it to check its weight.

Last edited:
the only impact socket you really need for the TJ is the 36mm socket for the big nut on your front wheel bearings. Even then it doesn't really need to be an impact socket and you don't really need a rattle gun to get it off but it helps.

for everything else just buy an el-cheapo set of 1/2inch sockets or an old set your man had or something and use them in your rattle gun. when they crap out, you just buy another and keep going. an impact socket set here is like double the price of a normal set and you use it half as much.

im curious to know as well, aside from changing a tire over quickly trail side, race car style - why would need a rattle gun in your TJ?

the only impact socket you really need for the TJ is the 36mm socket for the big nut on your front wheel bearings. Even then it doesn't really need to be an impact socket and you don't really need a rattle gun to get it off but it helps.

That's true. Though I will say that having impact sockets for the lug nuts (as well as other sizes) can make it much faster to get nuts and bolts off at times.

That's true. Though I will say that having impact sockets for the lug nuts (as well as other sizes) can make it much faster to get nuts and bolts off at times.

And easier. That situation happened on my last trip in Maine. Near the end of the day, it was just pouring down rain and the rig behind us sliced his sidewall. That tire was changed in minutes, and no one had to spend any more time than necessary out in the rain.

And easier. That situation happened on my last trip in Maine. Near the end of the day, it was just pouring down rain and the rig behind us sliced his sidewall. That tire was changed in minutes, and no one had to spend any more time than necessary out in the rain.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Even though I could do it with a socket and a ratchet, the impact makes the jobs twice as quick.

I used to carry 1/2" and 3/8" air impact wrenches powered by my York OBA system. They were cool but the time savings were inconsequential and certainly not worth carrying the added weight. Air tools are needed in a production environment but they're not really needed on the trail.

Reactions: Chris and teejay
I carry an electric impact gun and it works fine for me. I also don't think it weighs all that much either.