Looking for cordless impact wrench suggestions

How about an impact wrench with adjustable torque settings built-in, does such a thing exist?

In my head it seems like a cool idea, but I'm sure Blaine will be along shortly to tell me why it's not ;)
They exist. Practically every manufacturing plant in the world with assembly line production that involves fasteners uses them. Single spindle, multiples, all that way up to the 8 and 10 spindle for torqueing all the lug nuts at once. I think I've even seen them with more for doing like the combine and large equipment lug nuts.

I have the Dewalt, since I already have the batteries for my drill. It's mostly used on the trail for lug nuts.
If I didn't have the batteries, I most likely would have gone with the Milwaukee line of tools.

Reactions: WesTex TJ and Chris
In the past few months, I've acquired a number of the M18 Fuel tools from Milwaukee. The biggest battery I have is the 5ah version, along with a couple 3ah and a 2ah. After following this thread, I think it might be a good idea to get at least one larger one. Based on @mrblaine's comments, it sounds like that maybe should be the 9ah battery.

I have a question. When it comes to charging the batteries, what procedure do you folks use? Do you charge 'em just prior to needing them, keep them partially charged and monitor when they need to be recharged, or keep them on the charger 24/7? My only concern about the latter option would be the (perhaps unfounded) fear of the risk of fire.

And on the subject of Milwaukee tools, I've run their corded tools forever. Three days ago, my 23 year old angle grinder finally failed. Sounds like the gearbox is gone. So, I picked up both an 11 amp corded replacement (for the garage), as well as the M18 Fuel version for "field" work. An hour into using the new corded one, it starts binding up. Did it several times. Thinking it might be overheating, I let it cool down for a couple hours before using it again. Within a few minutes, it all but locked up. I returned it to the store and exchanged it for another. If it fails, I'll look into buying an older used one. I'm also going to look into having my old U.S. made one rebuilt.
Very odd failure. I've had and used at least 8 of the 4.5/5" corded Milwaukee grinders. They still outdo the cordless ones but not by a great margin.

Reactions: Squatch
I have a question. When it comes to charging the batteries, what procedure do you folks use? Do you charge 'em just prior to needing them, keep them partially charged and monitor when they need to be recharged, or keep them on the charger 24/7? My only concern about the latter option would be the (perhaps unfounded) fear of the risk of fire.
Li-ion batteries have pretty low risk of fire. That is reduced further by using smart chargers which these all have.

Best for the batteries is never leave them fully charged or fully drained. Anything in between is normally fine. Just charge them before a job and don't re-charge unless they are below 50%.

I've gotten cheap generic m12 batteries on ebay for $15. I had to drill tile recently and burned through a few batteries in a row and the cheap one outdid my older Reds. I guess with the real thing there's no guesswork and maybe I just got lucky but I don't worry too much about the details now that I know I can probably get decent ones that don't break the bank. If anybody is using pre-Red the cheap chinese batteries on amazon or ebay are well worth it.

Reactions: Squatch
I have the Dewalt, since I already have the batteries for my drill. It's mostly used on the trail for lug nuts.
If I didn't have the batteries, I most likely would have gone with the Milwaukee line of tools.
I agree Hands down with the dewalt 20v. I use my impact almost daily. The battery life is excellent, quick recharge time, I have batteries I’ve had for several years, still good as ever. Dewalt also probably has the best selection of 20v tools including weed eaters, Blowers, grinders, vacuums, air compressors, saws, Drills, And impacts. I probably use my Dewalt 20v lights more than anything else.

I need a cordless impact wrench, and I'm looking to buy the most powerful one I can buy.

These two are on my radar:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...ery-4-0Ah-Charger-Tool-Bag-DCF899M1/206387892
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-...rive-Impact-Wrench-Tool-Only-XWT08Z/206637027
Does anyone have any firsthand experience with these impact wrenches or any others I should be considering instead?
Find a Hilti if you want the best.

I figure a Milwaukee set would be more than enough though.

Reactions: NskLJ
*Noob Question follows*

Can anyone help me understand, or point me into the right direction, in order to understand the Fastening Torque of impact wrenches?

Is it as simple as it seems?

For example:

#1 - https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2962P-20

M18 FUEL™ 1/2" Mid-Torque Impact Wrench​

Nut Busting Torque 650 (ft-lbs)
Fastening Torque 550 (ft-lbs)

Does it mean, that this impact wrench is able to break loose nuts torques at 650 ft lbs, or lower, and fasten up to 550 ft lbs?

OR is there any other correlation to that numbers?

Reactions: Apparition
*Noob Question follows*

Can anyone help me understand, or point me into the right direction, in order to understand the Fastening Torque of impact wrenches?

For example:

#1 - https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2962P-20

Does it mean, that this impact wrench is able to break loose nuts torques at 650 ft lbs, or lower, and fasten up to 550 ft lbs?

That's the way I read it and I assume that's an ideal scenario for both.

*Noob Question follows*

For example:

The way I understand it is it takes less torque to loosen a bolt/nut due to the pitch of the threads acting as an inclined plane. When tightening the pitch is working against you. There is also, most likely, some stretching to the threads but that is well beyond my engineering comprehension to try and calculate. Milwaukee is claiming about a 15% difference in loosening vs tightening which seems about right. I've found most torque claims are a little optimistic as they are calculated in perfect conditions on hardware without any use or corrosion.

What bolt would you ever torque to 550 pounds?

Not many, but it's not a torque wrench. Those numbers are for busting loose stubborn, rusty bolts.

I have the big Milwaukee, rated at something like 1100 ft/lbs. Still had to cut some of my control arms off.

There are a few YouTube channels that actually test those things for real world, continuous power. Typically you'll be lucky to get 75% of the advertised torque.

What bolt would you ever torque to 550 pounds?
We have some very high torque fasteners at work (port equipment ) not to mention corrosion being right next to the ocean. If it is beyond a 4 foot torque wrench we use a hydraulic torque wrench. If a cordless won’t take it off we get a 1” gun then beyond that we use the oxygen/ acetylene wrench.