Improved rear seat retainer strap

Bionic_Scorpion

TJ Enthusiast
I came across a post about a rear seat retainer strap that came with the TJ to keep the rear seat from falling down when it was in the upright folded position.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rear-seat-retainer-strap-is-so-worthless-that-it-is-rare.50383/
Since I bought my TJ used, it didn't come with the factory strap and I didn't even know it existed. I've been using a bungee cord to hold my seat upright when I needed extra space in the back.

20220117_120326.jpg

20220117_120054.jpg

After reading the post about the factory strap, it got me to thinking I could make an improved version. I decided to make an adjustable strap so I could tighten it up and keep the seat from moving unlike the factory strap that wasn't adjustable or the bungee cord that would flex.

Here is what I came up with using parts I had on hand. I used 3/4" mil-spec nylon webbing, one 3/4" plastic loop, one 3/4" plastic strap adjuster and one 1" steel HK snap hook. I used three 3/4" tri-glide slides on the prototype so I could make adjustments but removed them and sewed the three ends when I had the lengths I wanted.

20220117_120317.jpg

20220117_115957.jpg

Now I can pull the strap as tight as I need it to keep the seat from moving when folded up. When not in use I can leave it hanging from the snap hook on the roll bar or just put it in the back corner of the hardtop next to the wiring connector. Works great, looks better than the bungee cord and holds the seat nice and tight.

Figured I would post it in case anyone wanted to make one for themself. If you have a soft top and can't use the bracket on the roll bar, you can substitute a plastic loop for the HK snap hook and wrap it around your roll bar so it'll tighten when you pull the strap tight or maybe a buckle for a quick attachment.

I always used a bungee strap and attached it to one soft top bracket and stretched it to the other side. Your method is actually pretty close to what the factory manual says to do.

Reactions: Bionic_Scorpion
Thanks for posting this! I just bought my 99 Sahara this part January and was trying to figure this out. By the way, my Wrangler is the exact same color combination as yours. White with Tan top. Thanks. Now I have to get somebody to make me one!

Reactions: Bionic_Scorpion
CB2977F1-87AF-4501-A405-4E70A63430A5.jpeg

4E5575AE-E3C9-4D65-BAAE-BF9863D0BEA2.jpeg

found this in the glove box when i bought my jeep a couple years ago. not sure if it’s a seat strap that this thread is about or not. nylon strap with plastic adjustable slides to take up slack. may not even be oem jeep. still sealed in bag.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
I came across a post about a rear seat retainer strap that came with the TJ to keep the rear seat from falling down when it was in the upright folded position.

[URL][URL]https://wranglertjforum.c...-strap-is-so-worthless-that-it-is-rare.50383/[/URL][/URL]

Since I bought my TJ used, it didn't come with the factory strap and I didn't even know it existed. I've been using a bungee cord to hold my seat upright when I needed extra space in the back.

View attachment 303259

View attachment 303260

After reading the post about the factory strap, it got me to thinking I could make an improved version. I decided to make an adjustable strap so I could tighten it up and keep the seat from moving unlike the factory strap that wasn't adjustable or the bungee cord that would flex.

Here is what I came up with using parts I had on hand. I used 3/4" mil-spec nylon webbing, one 3/4" plastic loop, one 3/4" plastic strap adjuster and one 1" steel HK snap hook. I used three 3/4" tri-glide slides on the prototype so I could make adjustments but removed them and sewed the three ends when I had the lengths I wanted.

View attachment 303262

View attachment 303263

Now I can pull the strap as tight as I need it to keep the seat from moving when folded up. When not in use I can leave it hanging from the snap hook on the roll bar or just put it in the back corner of the hardtop next to the wiring connector. Works great, looks better than the bungee cord and holds the seat nice and tight.

Figured I would post it in case anyone wanted to make one for themself. If you have a soft top and can't use the bracket on the roll bar, you can substitute a plastic loop for the HK snap hook and wrap it around your roll bar so it'll tighten when you pull the strap tight or maybe a buckle for a quick attachment.

Is there a link to this strap? Did you use one or two?