Improving 42RLE rear driveshaft angles by removing / modifying the transfer case adapter?

Seems easy in concept, not so easy in execution. But, you should also cut and rotate the spring perches at the same time so not exactly the end of the world to rob a set of perches off of a junk axle. You wind up destroying the tubes on one to save the perches and destroy the perches to save the tubes.

After that, just time and patience to get the C's loose enough to turn and hope you don't damage the tube too much and have to replace them. At the end of the day, you are still spending a lot of time on an axle that has relatively low value in the axle world.

I'm more than capable of figuring out how to do it that way. Hub kit is far easier with similar effectiveness and far more forgiving.

You always have an eloquent way of explaining how an idea we think is simple is really complex because we forget to think of all the little things that will need to be done on such a project. As they say, the devil is in the details!

You always have an eloquent way of explaining how an idea we think is simple is really complex because we forget to think of all the little things that will need to be done on such a project. As they say, the devil is in the details!

The work really isn't that complex. The challenge is how close the left side inner C is to the pumpkin casting for the tube. It is close enough that they weld the perches and mounts onto the tube first before they press it in and plug weld it. Or they have the world's most bizarre welder that can fit into a very small gap to run some of the welds practically around a corner.

I don't think the idea of shortening up the tail shaft housing is too far fetched though. That could be easily done and coming up with a trans mount isn't really that hard to design into the shorter housing.

What is hard is getting the costs to resemble anything feasible. Unless you do large volumes for an uncertain market, the two pieces will cost 1000-1800 bucks a set for a new shorter output shaft and housing. Volume will bring that down to half and then your sitting on a pile of money in parts hoping someone starts buying them.

If it matters, even AA has a few struggles with the Rubicrawler. The trans mount pad is not the same height as OEM. If you install one on a close tolerance belly skid, you'll have to space it up or the case rubs hard on the skid.

Thinking some more, I think it should be possible to cut a pair of flanges at a laser shop, then either cut some tube of the right diameter to length, weld the flanges to the tube at both ends, face them off, and get that done for a couple of 100. Yeah, it is steel but we aren't talking that much weight.

Reactions: psrivats
Early GM dual case adapters used be like that.

Shitty pic, but this a 4L80 to 205 adapter.

adapterx.jpg

Reactions: mrblaine
Aluminum is lighter and some place like Send Cut Send could machine it.

You could do an upside down U shape with tapped holes on the bottom for a transmission mount.

Or use the space for a really compact doubler.

Guessing the empty space was so the manuals and autos all put the transmission mount and transfer case in the exact same spot so front and rear driveshafts were all the same.

-Mac

• USA Proud
Reactions: LJBean and hear
Aside from a new shorter adapter,is there enough diameter on the output shaft to have it cut and resplined?

Guessing the empty space was so the manuals and autos all put the transmission mount and transfer case in the exact same spot so front and rear driveshafts were all the same.

-Mac

The 42rle was used on many Chrysler vehicles. Do they all use the same tail housing and output shaft?

I see two problems here. You eliminate the transmission mount doing this and if you look at how the transfercase and tailhousing bolt it would be impossible to attach the transfercase to the transmission with a simple adapter plate made from flat stock.

On the transmission mount side of things the "new" tail housing could be modified to have a sort of "L" shape so the mount still goes back to it's OE location, maybe a little bushing type thing to brace against the side of the T-case? with enough will anything is possible there me thinks.

I imagined it would require some machining to get done but an adapter plate should be possible, or even just take the existing tail housing and cut it down to right where the transfer case mounts, basically keep the flanges then cut out the middle section and weld back together. All theoretical of course.

I know that's an ATS 42rle but still sorta good visual aid i think.

42RLE_TailHousingEdit_02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickyd
Aside from a new shorter adapter,is there enough diameter on the output shaft to have it cut and resplined?

well the way it's currently set up is that you have a splined adapter that's plenty long, so similar to the tail housing just cut out the middle section and weld it back together? OR probably a more robust solution, get a whole custom thing made?

Reactions: Rickyd
The 42rle was used on many Chrysler vehicles. Do they all use the same tail housing and output shaft?

I've seen some pictures of the 42RLE with a different tail housing except it was MUCH longer than the one you get on a TJ so IDK.....the late TJs shared a lot of parts with the KJ, Dodge neon and PT Cruiser at the time so maybe?

I've seen some pictures of the 42RLE with a different tail housing except it was MUCH longer than the one you get on a TJ so IDK.....the late TJs shared a lot of parts with the KJ, Dodge neon and PT Cruiser at the time so maybe?

The tail housing on a KK Liberty is about 7.75" long.

On the transmission mount side of things the "new" tail housing could be modified to have a sort of "L" shape so the mount still goes back to it's OE location, maybe a little bushing type thing to brace against the side of the T-case? with enough will anything is possible there me thinks.

I imagined it would require some machining to get done but an adapter plate should be possible, or even just take the existing tail housing and cut it down to right where the transfer case mounts, basically keep the flanges then cut out the middle section and weld back together. All theoretical of course.

I know that's an ATS 42rle but still sorta good visual aid i think.

View attachment 472278

Welding that back together after you section a piece out is not going to be fun. That type of aluminum is not very clean and not fun to weld.

But, the trans mount adapter could be done pretty easily from the other end. Flat plate, laser the profile around the outer edge, pop the t-case bolt pattern in it, leg down and then bend a 90 in that going forward with the two holes for the OEM mount in it. Gusset the sides of the 90 if it needs it.

Reactions: Rickyd and tombicon
Welding that back together after you section a piece out is not going to be fun. That type of aluminum is not very clean and not fun to weld.

But, the trans mount adapter could be done pretty easily from the other end. Flat plate, laser the profile around the outer edge, pop the t-case bolt pattern in it, leg down and then bend a 90 in that going forward with the two holes for the OEM mount in it. Gusset the sides of the 90 if it needs it.

Makes sense, the only thing that really needs doing past that is the little spline adapter sleeve that goes inside (i dont know enough to know whether cutting it and welding it shorter is a good option though), also upon further "research" it seems there's some sort of tube in the tail housing that carries oil from the transmission maybe? it's not very clear in the images i've seen of it.

Makes sense, the only thing that really needs doing past that is the little spline adapter sleeve that goes inside (i dont know enough to know whether cutting it and welding it shorter is a good option though), also upon further "research" it seems there's some sort of tube in the tail housing that carries oil from the transmission maybe? it's not very clear in the images i've seen of it.

The instructions for the Rubicrawler install will have it if it is there.