Improving the cooling on our TJs

They use the same part numbers as Hayden they carry both.

These are the wind speed numbers I got on the meter lmk what you think. I had the meter against the grill meter shows 97f as the temperature of ambient air those numbers were also pretty consistent across the whole grill from 5-6 mph this was after heat soaking the system and ac full blast idling for 30mins ect at 215f

View attachment 534853

View attachment 534854

View attachment 534855

I was always taught, throw a towel in front, if it sticks, your fan is good … 🤣.

I was taking my readings from behind the fan on my truck. Checking at the grill might be better and it's certainly safer.

My reading from the grill might not be proper to compare to since I have two coolers in front of the condenser. But I'll check from the grill and then near the thermostat housing and send you what I find.

Sounds good to me let’s keep this scientific as possible guys I get that many of your jeeps cool fine but bring actual data to compare not just (my gauge say so) plug in a scanner read the actual temps tell us what your jeeps cooling system is don’t lie to try to make your look better that helps nobody but your ego I’m trying to build a reference for all Tj owners.

Yes I have a hex style for access but brass … the sensors I was referring to were water temperature sensors and various others that plug into water jackets in both aluminum and cast iron. If I can get 50-75 years in a brass sensor (and VSV valves) in a water jacket, then I’m not worried in the least about my TJ. I’ll take the ease of removal over any galvanic concerns. There is also a galvanic potential table you should look at, I believe brass on aluminum will corrode the aluminum and brass on cast iron will corrode the brass. You don’t see brass freeze plugs failing routinely, do you?

I don't see steel freeze plugs fail routinely either, do you?

You live in AZ, which isn't exactly the capital of the corrosion world.

I'm not worried about you using brass if you aren't. I prefer my plug to match closer to the block's material. No seizing issues to report and I'm not in danger of the bit stripping out the plug.

I have enough inout from the stock gauge, I know the gauge isn’t accurate and I know they apply a bell curve to make it stay near “normal” but I been looking at these gauges for 18 years, I know what’s warming up, normal, warmer than normal, I can characterize when the thermostat is full open. Also, AC performance is affected by things such as fan performance (clutch and blades) as well as radiator heat saturation, a cooler radiator helps the AC get I bit cooler.

Accurate numbers from a legit gauge don't lie. I'll take them over your guessing and less useful pattern awareness (bc the gauge is all over the place and has latency built into it).

So the Robert Shaw conflict comes from the fact that we have Chinese knockoffs … I have a small stockpile of real American made Robert Shaw stats, all tested and put on my shelf. My chevys and TJs all use the same ones, so it makes sense to keep them on hand.

Got it. I'll make sure to pay attention to that if I get one.

If your a science guy and clearly have the digital readout, I’d like to see you upgrade to a Robert Shaw, take measurements of peak temperature as well as characteristics of how fast your jeep somes up to temp, how steady the coolant temps are controlled, etc. I’ll even order you a stat for this data. Then as a final experiment, repeat with a high flow thermostat housing.

I'm nothing more than a tinkerer who likes to learn and share what I find.

I'd have to follow up with you later on this bc I can't do this until I take a CA exam next month. I really hate fighting the thermostat during install otherwise I wouldn't be so hesitant. I don't mind paying for the item. I'll have good data logged on my current setup when I drive to and back from CA at the end of July. Maybe I can play with the RS thermostat after I get back in August. Feel free to DM me so this doesn't get lost to history.

Again, I don’t think your Mopar was working, as far as I know, I never had a defective Hayden, typically the failure mode for these things are that they loosen up, not overtighten…

Yea the Mopar locked up, while the USMW I purchased to replace it was loose from the go. I put the 2791 Hayden in and all has been good since February.

And I don’t say much more than “my jeep is at a safe temperature” l, I realize our dumb downed gauge readings, but they are consistent. Like I said, take the numbers out of the equation, perhaps keep 210 but label it 210-ish … you can see when you have a thermostat stuck open, takes forever to warm up, and runs cold (I bought a Jeep once without a thermostat). I can tell brand of thermostat by the needle. I bought another Jeep with a French thermostat and the needle behaved uniquely. So to say it can only confirm proper temperature is false, but the truth isn’t far off.

I've seen the differences in thermostats by watching the needle as well. So it's pretty good for being consistent with when the Thermostat opens from what I recall.

The issue is that I've seen my temps on the gauge look very different than what the stock gauge reports. There's no pattern to it bc the needle both under & over reports depending on the moment. Sounds ridiculous, but I've personally seen it many times.

I consider the stock guage to be a "things appear to be ok" gauge. Which is great for folks on the road who need to know that they are good. But not so good when comparing TJ to TJ performance because we are all seeing different patterns unless our gauges are accurate.

They use the same part numbers as Hayden they carry both.

These are the wind speed numbers I got on the meter lmk what you think. I had the meter against the grill meter shows 97f as the temperature of ambient air those numbers were also pretty consistent across the whole grill from 5-6 mph this was after heat soaking the system and ac full blast idling for 30mins ect at 215f

View attachment 534853

View attachment 534854

View attachment 534855

Sounds good to me let’s keep this scientific as possible guys I get that many of your jeeps cool fine but bring actual data to compare not just (my gauge say so) plug in a scanner read the actual temps tell us what your jeeps cooling system is don’t lie to try to make your look better that helps nobody but your ego I’m trying to build a reference for all Tj owners.

Ok 1 hour of idling a heat soaked system now here is what I have 224 on the digital gauge 97f outside temp on the meter and 6.3 mph reading on grill opening

IMG_1421.jpeg

IMG_1420.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

Reactions: xXDavidCXx
Would you mind comparing to CFM? I don't have MPH as an option on my device.

Correction: I have mph...I'll log both.

Update:

Taking MPH and CFM, but I'm taking engine bay's reading in front of the pressure sensor on the AC line since there's not enough room for the device at the thermostat housing.

God I hate my phone … if you only knew how much auto correcting I need to correct to each post … even a properly spelled word can be changed to another word completely, without a typo … ugh.

You know there ARE computers that are a lot easier to deal with. Just sayin'. You don't have to deal with the nuisance of a PHOOOOOONNE!!

Measure from top of grill slots also all my data is at a 720-750 rpm idle
View attachment 534868

I have a steering cooler in that area, so I measured from in front of my finned cooler.

Note: I went back and measured from the top where you measured from and the numbers were the exact same compared to the numbers I pulled from lower in the grill.

Keep in mind that we are using different devices, I have two coolers in the grill, and it's 105* and sunny where I am.

I'm using a Mopar fan and Hayden 2791 fan clutch.

Engine cold: 4.88 mph / 4569 CFM (grill)
Engine cold: 4.88 mph / 4994 CFM (engine bay)

195* Idle: 4.53 mph / 3913-4241 CFM (grill)
195* Idle: 4.53 mph / 3913-4241 CFM (engine bay)

210* Idle w/ AC: 4.53 mph / 3913 CFM (grill)
210* Idle w/ AC: 4.83 mph / 3913 CFM (engine bay)

Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 1.51.45 PM.png

The weather app says it's 105* outside, but the Jeep says otherwise.

Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 1.52.06 PM.png

Before AC
Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 1.53.15 PM.png

After AC
Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 1.54.04 PM.png

Update:

Taking MPH and CFM, but I'm taking engine bay's reading in front of the pressure sensor on the AC line since there's not enough room for the device at the thermostat housing.

I have a steering cooler in that area, so I measured from in front of my finned cooler.

Note: I went back and measured from the top where you measured from and the numbers were the exact same compared to the numbers I pulled from lower in the grill.

Keep in mind that we are using different devices, I have two coolers in the grill, and it's 105* and sunny where I am.

I'm using a Mopar fan and Hayden 2791 fan clutch.

Engine cold: 4.88 mph / 4569 CFM (grill)
Engine cold: 4.88 mph / 4994 CFM (engine bay)

195* Idle: 4.53 mph / 3913-4241 CFM (grill)
195* Idle: 4.53 mph / 3913-4241 CFM (engine bay)

210* Idle w/ AC: 4.53 mph / 3913 CFM (grill)
210* Idle w/ AC: 4.83 mph / 3913 CFM (engine bay)

View attachment 534872

The weather app says it's 105* outside, but the Jeep says otherwise.

View attachment 534873

Before AC
View attachment 534874

After AC
View attachment 534875

What’s your idle rpm?

Reactions: MikeE024
This is about what I see as well with the OEM fan. In hotter conditions the temp creeps up to 230 at idle. Highway temps are 205-210 depending on speed.

Yeah my oem fan would have probably had my temps 10degrees warmer based on my experience. Maybe I’ll swap my fan again and get some speed measurements on the oem and see how it compares to the 19in derale

Reactions: MikeE024
You know there ARE computers that are a lot easier to deal with. Just sayin'. You don't have to deal with the nuisance of a PHOOOOOONNE!!

Ya know, grew up being into computers, building, gaming, nerding out, etc I dumped owning a PC about 8-10 years ago. With just my phone I been able to do everything I need! Buying homes, cars, stocks, research, BS’ing on forums… you name it.

Yea, THIS is a problem. You can try cramming a 3/8 extension in there. Put some penetrating oil in there like PB Blaster, or my favorite “Mouse Milk”.

Just used some mouse milk on a seized fitting yesterday. It holds up well in higher-temp situations (should work well on engine block plugs).