Incredible WWI documentary coming...

Looks like I'll be able to catch a local playing of "They Shall Not Grow Old" on Monday, the 17th. A buddy of mine from work wants to catch it, as well, so we'll ditch work for a spell. Looking forward to it!

Reactions: ElectricWizard
Looks like I'll be able to catch a local playing of "They Shall Not Grow Old" on Monday, the 17th. A buddy of mine from work wants to catch it, as well, so we'll ditch work for a spell. Looking forward to it!
Ever see "Paths of Glory" with Kirk Douglas, directed by Stanley Kubrick?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050825/

Reactions: Jeepers-n-Creepers
Ken Burns does some amazing work with his documentaries. I'll look into "The Great War" on YouTube. Thanks for the tip!

The Ken Burns Vietnam and WW2 documentaries are on Netflix.

Back in 2010 I met the Bataan Death March survivor in the ww2 documentary, Glenn Frazier.Hes the first person they show in episode one.

His book Hells Guest was actually what got me into reading first hand accounts, it's pretty good.

20181210_070338.jpg

The Ken Burns Vietnam and WW2 documentaries are on Netflix.

Back in 2010 I met the Bataan Death March survivor in the ww2 documentary, Glenn Frazier.Hes the first person they show in episode one.

His book Hells Guest was actually what got me into reading first hand accounts, it's pretty good.

View attachment 67635
Thank you for sharing that. I can see that there's a lot of quality stuff out there that I need to look into. A survivor's first-hand account...it probably couldn't get any more riveting than that! Again, thank you!

If you guys take an interest into WWI then I highly recommend a podcast by Dan Carlin called Hardcore History. One series in particular about WWI titles “Blueprint for Disaster”.

Carlin is amazing in the research he does for these history series. So much behind the scenes of the politics to the soldiers in the trenches. He reads the books written by the generals and political leaders as well as published letters from soldiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you guys take an interest into WWI then I highly recommend a podcast by Dan Carlin called Hardcore History. One series in particular about WWI titles “Blueprint for Disaster”.

Carlin is amazing in the research he does for these history series. So much behind the scenes of the politics to the soldiers in the trenches. He reads the books written by the generals and political leaders as well as published letters from soldiers.

Thanks for the tip! Will look into this!

Going to listen to this, after writing that paper I have a new found interest in knowing more about WWI.
Thanks for the tip.

Is it this? I could not find a Blueprint for Disaster.

Reactions: Squatch
Glad to hear of your positive attitude, we can certainly use more of that.

The video brought back memories - my first Jeep was a '76 Renegade (sadly, the first year they made the 304 V8 optional instead of standard. Mine had the 258 I6)

Indeed, a positive disposition is quickly becoming as valuable as "rare earth minerals" - in these deeply troubling and tumultuous times. For me, it is a daily discipline, as I am, like many, dully tempted to succumb to the opposite end of the spectrum. I tend to believe we have a choice in the matter:)

On the '76 Renegade front; that was one fine machine, there. I got a few rides in one, back in the early '80s, with the 304 V8 onboard. As I recall, it had the kinda HP I've long-wished I had in my TJ's 4.0L. Admittedly, I've got my 4.0L loaded-down with some heavy armor and 35's, to boot--and about to get heavier. I spoze I shouldn't whine about it, as the 4.0L is dishing-out what it was designed to dish-out. And, it has been very dependable.

I keep daydreaming however, about dropping a Chevy 327 in it:)

Indeed, a positive disposition is quickly becoming as valuable as "rare earth minerals" - in these deeply troubling and tumultuous times. For me, it is a daily discipline, as I am, like many, dully tempted to succumb to the opposite end of the spectrum. I tend to believe we have a choice in the matter:)

On the '76 Renegade front; that was one fine machine, there. I got a few rides in one, back in the early '80s, with the 304 V8 onboard. As I recall, it had the kinda HP I've long-wished I had in my TJ's 4.0L. Admittedly, I've got my 4.0L loaded-down with some heavy armor and 35's, to boot--and about to get heavier. I spoze I shouldn't whine about it, as the 4.0L is dishing-out what it was designed to dish-out. And, it has been very dependable.

I keep daydreaming however, about dropping a Chevy 327 in it:)
Well said, regarding maintaining a positive disposition. I typically do so, as I'm generally a happy sort. However, some mistake my happiness as a sign of "simplicity", shall we say. Nothing could be further from the truth. Me thinks they just don't know me very well... ;) I also found that distancing myself from those at the opposite end of the spectrum has been healthy for me. That was a conscious decision I made years ago. :)

I love the notion of a 327 going in something. Or a 283. A 265, if you're hardcore old school. I remember when a 327 was "the" engine to have. Then everything went to the 350/350 combo. Boring :sleeping:

Well said, regarding maintaining a positive disposition. I typically do so, as I'm generally a happy sort. However, some mistake my happiness as a sign of "simplicity", shall we say. Nothing could be further from the truth. Me thinks they just don't know me very well... ;) I also found that distancing myself from those at the opposite end of the spectrum has been healthy for me. That was a conscious decision I made years ago. :)

I love the notion of a 327 going in something. Or a 283. A 265, if you're hardcore old school. I remember when a 327 was "the" engine to have. Then everything went to the 350/350 combo. Boring :sleeping:

I'm tracking with you there, on choosing your company. I too have observed the masses, increasingly so, misread or misinterpret one's happiness as a sign of naivete, and even weakness. I think-back on all my interaction with musicians over the years (I'm a guitarist), and find that in mixed (musical) company, if you don't appear intense, forlorn, stoic, angry, complex and snobbish, then you're deemed an insecure flake--when in reality the above collective posture serves as the mask for the very same :)

Yes, the (((327))). I had a '70 Chevy Impala wagon a long time ago, with a 327 in it. It was a beast, and the easiest thing to work on. I also a '69 Nova at one time, with a very peppy 6 cylinder (don't recall the engine -?).

Back to the '70 Wagon with the 327; I once romped on the gas at around 70mph on the freeway, where after it rocketed to maybe 110mph in just few seconds. About 1.5 seconds into my being suddenly "possessed with a spirit of lawlessness," the sudden acceleration blew the muffler and tailpipe completely off the system, whereupon as it buckled under the tail-end of car (which was very light), the car actually hopped a few inches off the pavement--as the muffler and tailpipe--like a torpedo, went shooting-out the the back, with many sparks flying. In the rear view mirror it looked like I had launched a Sidewinder missile from an F-4:D . It scared the #@$! out of the people around me--including me. A guy that pulled over behind me when I got off the road, was laughing his @$$ off, and said, "Hey man, that was scary, but bitchin at the same time, ya know?"

:jump1:

I was unaware of some critical rust just forward of the muffler, apparently.

Thank you for sharing that. I can see that there's a lot of quality stuff out there that I need to look into. A survivor's first-hand account...it probably couldn't get any more riveting than that! Again, thank you!

No problem at all, it was just a good time to mention his book since you guys were talking about the Ken Burns documentarys.Im sure Mr Frazier has some interviews on YouTube as well if you'd prefer listening to his story.

I'm tracking with you there, on choosing your company. I too have observed the masses, increasingly so, misread or misinterpret one's happiness as a sign of naivete, and even weakness. I think-back on all my interaction with musicians over the years (I'm a guitarist), and find that in mixed (musical) company, if you don't appear intense, forlorn, stoic, angry, complex and snobbish, then you're deemed an insecure flake--when in reality the above collective posture serves as the mask for the very same :)

Yes, the (((327))). I had a '70 Chevy Impala wagon a long time ago, with a 327 in it. It was a beast, and the easiest thing to work on. I also a '69 Nova at one time, with a very peppy 6 cylinder (don't recall the engine -?).

Back to the '70 Wagon with the 327; I once romped on the gas at around 70mph on the freeway, where after it rocketed to maybe 110mph in just few seconds. About 1.5 seconds into my being suddenly "possessed with a spirit of lawlessness," the sudden acceleration blew the muffler and tailpipe completely off the system, whereupon as it buckled under the tail-end of car (which was very light), the car actually hopped a few inches off the pavement--as the muffler and tailpipe--like a torpedo, went shooting-out the the back, with many sparks flying. In the rear view mirror it looked like I had launched a Sidewinder missile from an F-4:D . It scared the #@$! out of the people around me--including me. A guy that pulled over behind me when I got off the road, was laughing his @$$ off, and said, "Hey man, that was scary, but bitchin at the same time, ya know?"

:jump1:

I was unaware of some critical rust just forward of the muffler, apparently.
I, too, blew a muffler off a '70 Maverick. I pulled over to retrieve said muffling device, threw it in the trunk, and drove the remaining 250 miles home with an open exhaust. Ahhh...youth!

Btw, your Nova would have had either the little 230 6 cylinder in it, or the "monster" 250 cid.

As far as musicians go, yeah, I guess if you're not brooding about something, then you don't take your music seriously. Maybe someone should have told that to the Beatles, huh? (Think "I Want to Hold Your Hand", "Yellow Submarine", etc...) Too bad, too. They could have made it big... ;)

No problem at all, it was just a good time to mention his book since you guys were talking about the Ken Burns documentarys.Im sure Mr Frazier has some interviews on YouTube as well if you'd prefer listening to his story.
I actually started watching the Ken Burns WWII documentary last night, and saw Mr. Frazier's piece. It was, however, around 4:00am, so I didn't watch but about 20 minutes of it before hitting the sack. I shall continue watching tonight, for sure!

Reactions: OldYeller
I, too, blew a muffler off a '70 Maverick. I pulled over to retrieve said muffling device, threw it in the trunk, and drove the remaining 250 miles home with an open exhaust. Ahhh...youth!

Btw, your Nova would have had either the little 230 6 cylinder in it, or the "monster" 250 cid.

As far as musicians go, yeah, I guess if you're not brooding about something, then you don't take your music seriously. Maybe someone should have told that to the Beatles, huh? (Think "I Want to Hold Your Hand", "Yellow Submarine", etc...) Too bad, too. They could have made it big... ;)

I'm think'n the 6 cylinder in the Nova was the 250 cid, as it seems it filled the engine bay will little room to spare, and it had some serious punch to it. It was in perfect condition--until one evening, long ago, and before I had any wits, I bit a chunk of the dash out--with my teeth. For the duration of my ownership thereafter, the dash reflected the perfect cut-out of my teeth--each tooth clearly defined. It seems I may have traded the Nova for the '70 Impala. Though, I likely took a $500.00 loss on trade-value, for the chunk of the dash missing:)

Ya, those Beatles; they could'a been big, REAL big.

So, I just got back from watching the film "They Shall Not Grow Old", and I have to say, it was incredibly well done. There were two things very striking about it for me and my co-worker who saw it with me.

First, the age of the boys signing up to fight. The entire story was told by actual WWI veterans from audio interviews they did back in the '50s and '60s. Many of them were signing up at the age of fifteen, with one doing so at the age of fourteen! They would say "I'll be sixteen in three months", and the guying signing him in would say "You mean you'll be nineteen in three months" (the actual age of admission, though eighteen was "acceptable"). Apparently, that happened a lot in Britain.

Secondly, the soldiers returning home met with an almost total disinterest from the civilian population in what they had experienced. They also encountered establishments that refused to hire veterans from the war. And there were a number of other things touched upon that made my friend and I both immediately see the parallels between them and what many Vietnam veterans experienced upon returning home. It was a shocking thing to hear from some very elderly gentleman about a very different time. Very moving, indeed.

I happened to be sitting next to a rather attractive young lady who was there with her somewhat elderly father. I by chance asked her where they had heard about the film, and she mentioned a podcast by Dan Carlin called Hardcore History. I recognized this as the very thing @Jack72 had mentioned in a previous post. My friend and I will both be looking into that...

Anyways, I hope some of you got a chance to see it tonight, or catch it on the only other day it will be shown in the US, which is December 27. Look into it. You won't be disappointed.