Input needed on KC HiLiTES

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
I'm looking at picking up some KC HiLiTES (yes, that's really how it's written out), and had some questions that I thought I'd run by you folks. First off, let me say that I have zero interest in LED lights, so it'll be halogen lights for this guy. I'm considering getting either the KC Daylighters (old school), or the KC Slimlites. I want to mount them in place of my TJ's OEM fog lights on the Dirtworx bumper (with bull bar), assuming I have the room. Both of these use 100W bulbs. Is there any reason why I cannot use the factory fog light wiring for these lights? Electrical has never been my forte. I do understand that there are situations where you can tax the wiring system and create all manner of havoc, and I would very much like to avoid that. I don't even know what the OEM fog lights are rated at (55W?). Would using 100W lights be too much for the factory wiring? KC offers a package kit for wiring them outside of any other system. Would it be prudent for me to just go that route? I'm looking at a spread beam pattern light, and know that these are not intended for street use. Anyone else running KC lights?
Appreciate any input.
Squatch

Are you asking if you can use a 100 watt Halogen bulb?

The KC HiLiGHT model number 1131 is the direct replacement halogen slimline fog light which is 55 watts.

Model number 1134 is the Apollo series, which is a couple bucks cheaper, and also 55 watts. I use these on mine and they do the job. I have model 1135 since that is for the 05-06, but you would use the 1134 on your TJ as I think you have a 1997 or 98.

I ran them years ago on a pickup, except they were the 150W lights they no longer make. That included a 30 amp fuse if I remember correctly. If you run the daylighters I would use 10 gauge wiring (or even 8). The OE wiring harness for the foglights is pretty darn small, probably in the 16 gauge size if I had to guess.

Reactions: Squatch
Thanks for the responses. The Daylighters I saw advertised are 100W units. So are the Slimlites. They also have them in 130W versions, but all I've found in those are spot beams, and I want the spread beams. I also came across one seller (ebay, if I recall correctly) who had a set of 150W lights for sale. Another was selling just the bulbs. The Slimlite does come in a 55W fog light, but I'm looking at using 100W or 130W units, and not as a fog light, but for trail driving.

@tworley, I saw KC sells entire kits that come with the wire, a fuse, and a switch. And while I know very little about wiring, your comment about the OE wiring for the fog lights being a small gauge was pretty much what I was concerned about with running the 100W or larger lights. I appreciate the tip on using something larger.

Last edited:
I concur with @tworley on the wire situation if your going with a higher wattage. I am a KC guy too, have owned nothing but. I've had the 130w slimlites on my last rig and they were halogens too, absolutely loved them as apposed to the daylighters that my brother had. Its like getting a flat screen TV vs the old big boxy ones...lol.

If you get the whole kit, the wiring harness is all set up and very self explanatory, you shouldn't have any issues installing them. Just route the wires along side the stock ones, and you can even utilize the stock switch if you like.

Then there is the TJ specific plug and play's here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006V7TDAE/?tag=wranglerorg-20 (There's even a used one for $36!) ;)

I concur with @tworley on the wire situation if your going with a higher wattage. I am a KC guy too, have owned nothing but. I've had the 130w slimlites on my last rig and they were halogens too, absolutely loved them as apposed to the daylighters that my brother had. Its like getting a flat screen TV vs the old big boxy ones...lol.

If you get the whole kit, the wiring harness is all set up and very self explanatory, you shouldn't have any issues installing them. Just route the wires along side the stock ones, and you can even utilize the stock switch if you like.

Then there is the TJ specific plug and play's here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006V7TDAE/?tag=wranglerorg-20 (There's even a used one for $36!) ;)
Thanks, Chief. I like the hell-for-stout mounts the Daylighters use, but I do like the overall look of the Slimlites, so it's kind of a toss-up as to which direction I'll go. Appreciate the input!

Reactions: EJD
Thanks, Chief. I like the hell-for-stout mounts the Daylighters use, but I do like the overall look of the Slimlites, so it's kind of a toss-up as to which direction I'll go. Appreciate the input!
The Days have some serious mounts, I will say that! I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Also just like to point out too that KC has an amazing 23 year warranty, if one of your bulbs blows over 10 years of use, send it in and they will replace it free. If a relay goes, send it in and they'll replace it free, hell i've even had the paint chipping off, starting to rust a little and they said send them in, and they replaced them free after 5 years of use...after that I knew I would never go with any other lights, they're just that good. Highly recommend these guys.

I loved mine back in the day. I should have took them off my truck when I sold it.

Truck87.JPG

The Days have some serious mounts, I will say that! I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Also just like to point out too that KC has an amazing 23 year warranty, if one of your bulbs blows over 10 years of use, send it in and they will replace it free. If a relay goes, send it in and they'll replace it free, hell i've even had the paint chipping off, starting to rust a little and they said send them in, and they replaced them free after 5 years of use...after that I knew I would never go with any other lights, they're just that good. Highly recommend these guys.
Yeah, I know I'll be going with them, for sure. I saw that 23 year warranty, and thought "Who does that?". Definitely a selling point. I've been chatting with @OldYeller quite a bit about KC lights, and he's definitely a fan, as well. Good stuff!

Reactions: EJD
The KC HiLites model number 234 comes with the two 100 watt halogen spread beam daylighters AND the plug n play harness. Extreme Terrain has them for $150, and if you call and say you are a WF member you can get by 6% off. $140 plus free shipping.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/kc-h...gen-lights-spread-beam-pair-8718-wrangle.html
Very cool! Word on the street is that the Daylighters can be had around the holidays for as little as $109...for the pair! And this is from an established supplier. @OldYeller shared that with me. Hope I have the patience to wait. ;)

Reactions: skrelnik
Very cool! Word on the street is that the Daylighters can be had around the holidays for as little as $109...for the pair! And this is from an established supplier. @OldYeller shared that with me. Hope I have the patience to wait. ;)

They are well worth the $140.Mine paid for themselves the first time a friend lost a cell phone that had a dead battery.I always bring a Stanley spot light and a couple of small led flashlights with me, it's just not the same as the white light from the kc's.

The down side to using the OEM fog light wiring, besides the small wire gauge already pointed out, is they only work on low beam. I have a set of EagleEye lights (KC knock-offs) that I mounted on my 2000 TJ when new, I tapped off the high beams and run them through a 30 amp relay.

I like the switch modification....very cool. So you removed the ash tray and added another standard switch module, great idea! I was thinking about. Going to an 03-06 bezel and switch module, but this mod would give me 6 switches.

Reactions: ac_
I like the switch modification....very cool. So you removed the ash tray and added another standard switch module, great idea! I was thinking about. Going to an 03-06 bezel and switch module, but this mod would give me 6 switches.

I like it a lot. The picture looks wonky, in IRL it looks normal. I think it is where and the angle of the camera that makes it look a little off.

I like that mod a lot. The other switches are hard to see in the picture, but they are main power for the diff locks one says rear locker and the other says front locker. I spent a lot of time wiring all of that up, but it is rally worth it.

Reactions: JMT and Squatch
Would using 100W lights be too much for the factory wiring?
I doubt the factory fog relay, breaker will handle 100 watts. And the wiring today is pretty light.

It should be easy to use the switch to activate a new relay, breaker circuit to supply the 100 watt HiLiTES.

Last edited:
Would it be prudent for me to just go that route?
yes... I did this on my 1977 Grand Prix... when it was new. I put 100 watt halogens in the high beam location and had to add the relay breaker to handle the load off the high beam foot switch. The wiring had no issues.

Today you likely need to pull in new wires too. But using the fog switch on the multi function switch should be easy. Today I'd buy the KC harness for a start.

On the LED thing, I was a hater too. I was going to go with Warn halogens on the A Pillars but for simplicity, load, $$$ I went with 2 Kawell Side Shooter, $69.00. And I have a single LED bar for the roof. They all run thru the factory fog wiring. Took years to take the jump. Glad I did. They are a much stronger, smaller target for winter sand, salt.

My goal was 180 degree lighting on the beach at night, pretty easy to get disoriented with just headlights. Feels like a cop on logging roads the way they light the ditches.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071DQRQ5Y/?tag=tjforum-20

Last edited:
Just for your viewing pleasure of KC hilites. Here is my and my wifes Jeeps:

View attachment 75390
View attachment 75391

Also my switch inside:

View attachment 75392
Judging from the massive mounts, I'd surmise that Zombicon has Daylighters, and the ones mounted on the yellow one's windshield frame are also Daylighters. But what are the one's on it's bumper? Are they Slimlights? Also, do you know what brand the windshield frame bracket mounts are? Are they also KC, or something else?