Interior lights won't turn off after replacing headlights

grantcolton

03 Wrangler Rubi - this morning I replaced my headlights with replacement halogens and now my interior lights won’t turn off. I’ve checked the turn signal switch stalk and no matter what position, the lights stay on. Both doors are closed and I know the door switches are good because the driver door, when opened, activates the mileage screen so that tells me it’s “ok” and the passenger side, when opened, will beep twice if the ignition is on so I assume it’s also ”ok”. I’ve looked at This thread and this thread and ran through what’s recommended in those: I’ve pulled the #4 fuse and the lights stay on. When I pull the IOD fuse under the hood, the lights go off. I pulled the battery for 30ish minutes and reconnected and the lights immediately came back on. I am at a loss here. Anyone have any other suggestions for troubleshooting?

Unplug one and then the other, then both headlight plugs, see if they go out. Give them plenty of time to "time out."

I'm not sure how replacing the headlights may have caused this but start with the last thing you messed with.

And, just to confirm, you know that there is a position on the switch stalk that turns the interior lights on, right? Your second post wasn't exactly clear on this.

Unplug one and then the other, then both headlight plugs, see if they go out. Give them plenty of time to "time out."

I'm not sure how replacing the headlights may have caused this but start with the last thing you messed with.

And, just to confirm, you know that there is a position on the switch stalk that turns the interior lights on, right? Your second post wasn't exactly clear on this.

I will test your unplugging idea today.

I had the same thought on the headlights - no idea how that could’ve started this issue.

And yup, the position with the lights on (All the way to the top of the stalk) has them on and then, when turn to any other position which should render the lights off with the doors closed, the lights continue to stay on. One weird thing I did notice is that when the lights are turn on by moving the stalk position to the top, the lights are just slightly brighter and then when you turn them to any other position that should turn them off, the lights get just slightly dimmer. Almost unnoticeable.

It sat all night with the battery unhooked. This afternoon I tested the unplugging idea:

Start: interior lights on and verified stalk switch was "off"
1 - Unplugged #4 fuse behind glove box: lights remain on
2 - Plugged #4 fuse back in: lights remain on
3 - Unplugged IOD fuse under hood: lights go off
4 - Plugged IOD back in: lights come back on
5 - Unplugged left new headlamp and waited ~1min: lights stayed on
6 - Plugged in left headlamp and unplugged right headlamp and waited ~1min: lights stayed on
7 - Plugged right headlamp back in: lights stayed on.

It's currently sitting with the IOD fuse out to stop battery drain. Could it be the stalk switch or the device (I'm guessing a rheostat) that dims the interior lights after the doors are closed?

Recheck your work, make sure you got both sockets onto the headlights correctly. This is too simple of a job, look at the work just done when the new thing just installed doesn't work.

My suggestion would be to check the MFS harness connectors and test that the MFS is working properly
Yes, my next idea as well. Coincidental timing perhaps.
Also, I assume that you didn't increase the wattage of the new lights vs the existing ones? That could burn (not literally, though maybe) through a MFS in a hurry.

When i first bought my jeep, I could not turn the interior light on because I did not realize the headlight switch turned that far left. My switch was really stiff and it did not feel like it would go any further left. A little force and voila, I had the light on. Doubt this is your problem but I can certainly understand your frustrations.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Just finished replacing the MFS harness - which had to be done given the state of the factory one. Didn't fix my issue lol. The new MFS is supposed to be arriving today so hopefully that fixes my problem.

And I just finished replacing the MFS. Didn’t fix the interior lights problem. I put the old MFS back. Anyone have other ideas? Lol. I’m at a loss for sure. I’m almost to the point of taking it to my local shop.

Check both of your door switches with a meter to make sure they are functioning correctly. I had one that would stick closed internally in the switch.

Check both of your door switches with a meter to make sure they are functioning correctly. I had one that would stick closed internally in the switch.
Good thought - I gave that a shot a few days ago. The door switches are "behaving" appropriately lol. With the #4 fuse in, when a door opens, the odometer lights up. Keep in mind, the entire time the interior lights are still on. I pulled the switches and took a paperclip to each plug on both the driver and passenger and confirmed they are working. Ahh electrical problems.

Your "interior" lights? All of them stay on, including the footwell (courtesy) lights?

And, you didn't change or mess with any of the interior (or underhood) lamps?

image.png

image.png

When I close my doors I have to stand il and stare at mine for five or six seconds to get the lights to go off.

Just fixed the issue a few minutes ago. When replacing the headlights, I had to replace the driver side headlight housing because the vertical adjustment was broken. When replacing that housing, I mistakenly pinched the wire for the hood light switch in-between that housing and the body of the Jeep. When I pulled the headlight out to check my work for the millionth time, I finally noticed it. When I pulled the new housing, I noticed that wire was bare - hence the issue. Pulled that bare wire away from the body and bam, problem solved. What a... learning experience. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

• Love
Reactions: Zorba