Is my power steering pump leaking?

Jrc4055

Hey all,

I spent my weekend replacing what I thought was a leaky AC compressor. Well...The leak is still there, and I need your help finding the culprit.

I'm wondering if its the Power Steering Pump for a couple reasons:
1. There is oil pooling on the top of the AC compressor and dripping down around it:

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 7.48.03 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 7.48.16 AM.jpg

I'm also not sure it is the PSP because:
1. I thought PS Fluid was red(former Toyota Tech plz forgive me)
2. It makes noise while turning but not THAT much noise

If its not the PSP then im completely lost....

Hey all,

I spent my weekend replacing what I thought was a leaky AC compressor. Well...The leak is still there, and I need your help finding the culprit.

I'm wondering if its the Power Steering Pump for a couple reasons:
1. There is oil pooling on the top of the AC compressor and dripping down around it:

(TOP) https://photos.app.goo.gl/aR1UhjYuLQD2hkkV7
(BOTTOM) https://photos.app.goo.gl/8VczY7xBNpe4mZSq8

I'm also not sure it is the PSP because:
1. I thought PS Fluid was red(former Toyota Tech plz forgive me)
2. It makes noise while turning but not THAT much noise

If its not the PSP then im completely lost....
You should be able to tell if it's power steering fluid. It definitely has a distinctive color and smell. Keep in mind, 97-02's with the Saginaw steering box take regular power steering fluid but 03-06's with the Mercedes box take ATF+4. If it's giving you the squeal, even when it's not under much load, you may be low on fluid.

If it IS your power steering, get a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak. Try and remove as much fluid as possible from the power steering reservoir first. A Turkey baster works great for this.
But make sure it isn't leaking from one of the power steering lines or fittings at the box first. There is a small chance a fitting could work loose enough to let a drop through every so often.