Is the OPDA on my 2004 troublesome like the 05-06 models?

N

NICHOLAS MATHER

So I'm researching on here about preventative parts I should look at replacing to keep my rubi strong.

Got to reading about this opda, Mines an 04 with the S in the VIN in the 8th spot I think.....but when I look around my jeep, mine doesnt look like anyone else's.

A search brings up that its some kind of cam pisition sensor and oil pump drive...but why is mine different?

Is it prone to the same non crown opda issues?

20181123_234453.jpg

20181123_234536.jpg

Capture+_2018-11-24-00-03-33.png

Thanks Jerry! Unless that was said with sarcasm lol.

Can you please educate me in what I have vs the infamous opda?

I'm figuring that what I have probably does the same job...but is mine more reliable? Is it stock? Why do some early 2000s tjs have the bad opda while mine has this?

You're 2004 still has an OPDA, it's just not the problematic one found on the 05-06 models.

Which makes me wonder... why don't us 05-06 guys just take the OPDA from the earlier models and put it in ours? I wonder if it would fit, or if the provision in the block is different.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I should rephrase the title of this thread lol....of course I have one, or some version of one. The question is, is my design as troublesome as the more "domed" ones I see everybody replacing in the videos?

Thanks Chris! I was posting right as you were responding!

While researching around, I asked myself that same question. If my version works well (and looks simpler) why not revert back to that?

I should rephrase the title of this thread lol....of course I have one, or some version of one. The question is, is my design as troublesome as the more "domed" ones I see everybody replacing in the videos?

I re-titled the thread for you to be more self-explanatory.

No, you don't have to worry about the OPDA on your 2004. It doesn't have the design flaw that the 05-06 models had, so you literally have nothing to worry about.

Though I will also add that I've owned TWO 2005 TJs, and neither one has had the OPDA fail on me. For what it's worth...

If my version works well (and looks simpler) why not revert back to that?

I'm actually very curious about that. I have to imagine if this worked, people would have done it by now. My guess is that the provision in the block for the OPDA is different on the 04 and earlier models.

However, I'd be curious to take the OPDA from an 04 and try to put it in my 2005, just to see what about it doesn't fit.

Thanks for fixing that title lol.

Well and your guys opinions mean a lot. This place is a wealth of knowledge. The rivet nut/nutcert walkthrough stuff I found here literally saved me thousands of dollars. Local dealership wanted $3-4k to put on stock suspension and deal with a potential spinning rivet nut.

I used the site to redo, and source parts for, the whole suspension. I used this place to do the t case drop removal and rivet nut fix, an oxygen sensor replacement...aligning my tires, fixing the blower motor resistor....ZJ tie rod end upgrade.

I try combing through the how to section to head off any potential break downs or big ticket expenses. I dont tend to wait till somethings broken to fix it lol.

You guys and the website is much appreciated!

Reactions: Chris
No problem!

Yeah, got to be careful with dealerships. If you're going to use a mechanic, find a local shop that specializes in Jeeps and has a good reputation among local Jeep clubs. That's how I found the local shop who did my gears, and those guys do amazing work, and really specialize in Jeeps.

I'm glad the site is so useful to you. That's the goal with this site, to make it a resource for TJ owners for years to come, as our TJs eventually become ancient like the CJs. It will be nice at that point to have all the resources in one spot for people to find information.

Reactions: lindsey97
Yeah down south we had a garage literally called "jeep medic"...although I think they shortened it to J medic now.

No such luck in indiana yet.

I was nervous about running into issues mid suspension replacement/skid plate removal and not having my daily driver...so I stopped by for a quote. Thought avoiding the hassle might be worth $400-ish dollars.

When they qouted me I laughed and rolled out. Ordered the rivets from mr Blaine. Did whole thing myself in about 7 hours. Glad I did lol.

I miss a good jeep specializing mechanic.

Reactions: Chris
Though not as probable than the 05 and 06... I read somewhere of a couple 2004s having that issue.

Ofcourse... reading it on the internet is not a very good source.. but i see no reason why someone would lie about it.

Overall, its a non issue if you have a 2004.. but if you hear the squealing.. than i would take a look at it.