Is this a Sahara?

It's running on 33 x 12.5 tires you guys think the dana 30 in the front can handle that offroad? I'm new to jeep, and relatively new to offroading.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
It's running on 33 x 12.5 tires you guys think the dana 30 in the front can handle that offroad? I'm new to jeep, and relatively new to offroading.
The 30 can handle it. Its the 35 that can't, but that's only if you lock the rear diff. It will be fine for riding around town and some light trails.

The 30 can handle it. Its the 35 that can't, but that's only if you lock the rear diff. It will be fine for riding around town and some light trails.
I believe the dana 35 on it isn't even a limited slip let alone has any sort of locker. Guess time will tell

I was under the impression the bigger the number the beefier the axle?

Im thinking the same thing. Thanks. Besides all fluids and oils what rubber consumables should I start with?
Belts, radiator hoses, power steering hoses- ( good time to add a cooler) are the main ones. Check the date in the tires, I’d imagine they’re probably pretty old.

I believe the dana 35 on it isn't even a limited slip let alone has any sort of locker. Guess time will tell

I was under the impression the bigger the number the beefier the axle?
A factory limited slip is as much as the factory installs into the rear axle, and a stock Dana 35 is not strong enough for a locker. Generally speaking the higher the number the stronger the axle like Dana 30 is not quite as strong as the Dana 35 which is not nearly as strong as a Dana 44 is.

Welp you guys were right. Someone showed up with cash in hand and he gave it away. I would've probably paid over asking but oh well. The search continues

• Face Palm
Reactions: TRE3TOP
The aftermarket flares he has on there are discontinued. They’re about an inch wider than Sahara/Rubicon flares. Rough Country now makes a flare this wide but that used to be the only extra size available for bigger tires without being ridiculously wide.
Trust this guy- he ran our Sahara Division ‘til @Hog took over after he became a RubiBro. We always said he had “flare” for it.

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
Reactions: Hog
Welp you guys were right. Someone showed up with cash in hand and he gave it away. I would've probably paid over asking but oh well. The search continues
Not beating on you- but over the past 3-4 years we first saw a slight value drop, then a steady value escalation, with less and less vehicles with low mileage coming on the market, we are now at the strongest I’ve personally seen it - 20 plus years post production on the best driving, best riding Jeep ever built that still honored the original idea of compact agility. We ‘ve been seeing this “ is this a good deal- nevermind it is gone” type scenario more and more.

Not beating on you- but over the past 3-4 years we first saw a slight value drop, then a steady value escalation, with less and less vehicles with low mileage coming on the market, we are now at the strongest I’ve personally seen it - 20 plus years post production on the best driving, best riding Jeep ever built that still honored the original idea of compact agility. We ‘ve been seeing this “ is this a good deal- nevermind it is gone” type scenario more and more.
Im not giving up, got another one Im going to check out tomorrow!

Reactions: AndyG
Im not giving up, got another one Im going to check out tomorrow!
Absolutely- there were 965,945 of them made, and no telling how many in barns, garages, RV sheds and so forth- they key is to move fast- If and only if it is a genuinely good TJ with no rust or serious mechanical issues- stock or close to stock condition is a better move the majority of the time also. The one you just missed was ideal....and don’t be afraid of the automatic transmission either- they are excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJJeep4Sale
I talked to a guy and told him I had cash in hand and was on my way to buy his Jeep. I drove 3.5 hours to get there and texted him when I was 5 minutes away to let him know I made it. He texted back and said "sorry, I just sold it to someone else". 🤬🥵

Last edited:
I talked to a guy and told him I had cash in hand and was on my way to buy his Jeep. I drove 3.5 hours to get there and texted him when I was 5 minutes away to let him know I made it. He texted back and said "sorry, I just sold it to someone else". 🤬🥵
People that do things like that are sorry people. You gave your word you were coming, he gave his he was waiting. Sorry if that offends someone but I’ve been through that with a Kid crying because it didn’t work out , it is wrong. If someone wants to do something like that they need to say “first guy that hands me cash” - then let you know they have a bite on it.

Here is a good story-

Recently I reached out to a guy - had a dirt bike for sale- he said, “another guy is coming , if he doesn’t buy it is yours”. Ok , cool.

So the guy bought and he let me know - I respected that.

A few weeks later a text pops up -

“Hey man, I’m the guy that bought that bike.....I want a buddies bike .....would you be interested?”

Got it and saved $400.

That most likely won’t happen on a jeep- some guys trade dirt bikes like baseball cards- but it helped my faith in things a little.

Last edited:
You just don’t do that to TheBoogieman. Did they ever find the body?

Ok boys i found another one. White 2001 Sahara with 150K on odo and this is the 4th owner I would be the 5th. Clean cosmetically but it has a "minor damage" on the carfax. He sent me pics of it it's just the stock front bumper bent a little which is in line with what the carfax says. It's also an automatic I really wanted a manual but Im reading good things about the 3 speed on this site. Brand new soft top. Full metal doors, and a bluetooth stereo. He's asking $11,900 and it's about 3 hours away I asked for some pics of the undercarriage but baring any major problems I'll be on the road momentarily. Anything else you pros can think of? I'm also hoping that the problematic head 0331 or whatever would've already been taken care of by 150K miles IF it were to be problematic. Carfax shows several transmission services so hopefully tranny is in good shape
SmartSelect_20220130-132328_craigslist.jpg

Reactions: CharlesHS