Is this frame in bad shape?

bw14j

I’m new to Jeeps and looking at buying this 2002 Wrangler and am a little weary about the frame condition. Is it in good shape or should I pass on it and keep looking?

I tapped on the center side by the skid plate and a piece of rust fell down but the seller said it was from the undercoat under the frame. He recently lifted the jeep and the mechanic said when the Jeep was lifted that the metal guard under the frame has to be dropped down away from the frame. Thus exposing 20 years worth of muck undercoat etc.

Is that something that could happen?

Thanks for the help!

5E5E7997-AFB6-4206-9961-BE4D794E8600.jpeg

2C9040C0-2FCE-447E-A9B0-729D6767F38F.jpeg

FD1EF305-3178-4112-8FD4-4DC2A854D842.jpeg

51653276-1612-4BDB-A967-BF5574376A36.jpeg

7BD3A53D-CF3B-49B6-97EB-9C0C033A89C0.jpeg

7449256A-E36D-41A2-80FC-1278EE1BF421.jpeg

D97AC38A-0330-40A6-8AF0-97E2A7FA8BBD.jpeg

5B85E064-6DBC-4FB1-B197-BDDAB081E9B1.jpeg

8D20B8BA-71C8-4A6B-A969-94C37F078D74.jpeg

1AC2FCCD-4B3C-42BD-A28F-BAF1CDFB9664.jpeg

Last edited:
Pass for me but I'm on the west coast and am a rust snob..the east coast and Midwest guys will be along shortly to tell you how nice it is..in the end are you comfortable with rust? The one pic shows heavy corrosion right in front of the lower control arm mount..that is where these frames like to rust

Pass for me but I'm on the west coast and am a rust snob..the east coast and Midwest guys will be along shortly to tell you how nice it is..in the end are you comfortable with rust? The one pic shows heavy corrosion right in front of the lower control arm mount..that is where these frames like to rust

I appreciate the response. I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with rust, but if this frame isn't too far gone, I'd do what I could to prevent it from getting any worse.

What does the frame feel like inside? Nothing I see is immediately concerning. Remember that these frames rust from the inside out. Feel around inside the hole under the skid plate. If the metal is smooth, then you're fine. Ideally, bring a boroscope.

What does the frame feel like inside? Nothing I see is immediately concerning. Remember that these frames rust from the inside out. Feel around inside the hole under the skid plate. If the metal is smooth, then you're fine. Ideally, bring a boroscope.

^ What he said.

From the pics it doesn't look too bad. But unless the price is REALLY good I'd probably hold out for something better.

I didn't think to feel the inside of the frame... Thanks for the advice. I'll check the inside next time I look at it.

I didn't think to feel the inside of the frame... Thanks for the advice. I'll check the inside next time I look at it.
Yes... the rust you see on the outside of the frame is from when the skid plate was bolted directly to the frame without spacers for the lift. Water gets between there and it corrodes, but usually it's just surface rust. And the rust you see on the ends of the frame are probably from a hitch that was subsequently removed. If it's just surface rust, it can be cleaned up and painted with POR-15. But definitely check inside the frame to confirm.

Yes... the rust you see on the outside of the frame is from when the skid plate was bolted directly to the frame without spacers for the lift. Water gets between there and it corrodes, but usually it's just surface rust. And the rust you see on the ends of the frame are probably from a hitch that was subsequently removed. If it's just surface rust, it can be cleaned up and painted with POR-15. But definitely check inside the frame to confirm.

Reactions: John Cooper
Not sure what you are trying to say—looks like water got behind the undercoating and is starting to corrode it. Look at how thick the metal is in that hole: clearly it's not rotting. This needs to be cleaned up certainly, and he should confirm the inside of the frame is OK—who knows, maybe it's not—but once again that does not scream to me "frame rot!" purely judging by exterior.

Yes, there are west coast snobs who run away from any hint of rust and east coast naifs who see a frame rotting in half and send it, but you can take a rational look at this frame and say, it's not perfect, but with a little bit of work it's probably fine.

Reactions: Kid Mechanic
Not sure what you are trying to say—looks like water got behind the undercoating and is starting to corrode it. Look at how thick the metal is in that hole: clearly it's not rotting. This needs to be cleaned up certainly, and he should confirm the inside of the frame is OK—who knows, maybe it's not—but once again that does not scream to me "frame rot!" purely judging by exterior.

Yes, there are west coast snobs who run away from any hint of rust and east coast naifs who see a frame rotting in half and send it, but you can take a rational look at this frame and say, it's not perfect, but with a little bit of work it's probably fine.
For not knowing what I was trying to say you sure knew what I was trying to say..I wouldn't touch that frame if it was free...if I get a frame in that isn't black on the inside it goes to scrap...yes I'm a spoiled west coast snob but at least I don't have a goofy accent

Reactions: chimmike

It doesn't matter how thick the metal is where that hole is on the bracket, what matters is how thick the metal is on the frame rail where I circled.

Reactions: chimmike and P man
It doesn't matter how thick the metal is where that hole is on the bracket, what matters is how thick the metal is on the frame rail where I circled.
Sure, and the only way we'll find out is if he takes a borescope to the inside of the frame. Arguing about the exterior condition is pointless.

It doesn't matter how thick the metal is where that hole is on the bracket, what matters is how thick the metal is on the frame rail where I circled.View attachment 283176
Grind it out, refinish & send it!
Most frames don’t even have undercoating and you can see the factory welds where the bracket was welded on.
Get another 20 years out of it.

Sure, and the only way we'll find out is if he takes a borescope to the inside of the frame. Arguing about the exterior condition is pointless.
Not pointless when someone has applies a coating or POR15 like product on the frame where it rots between the coating amd frame exterior.

Reactions: P man
I think it's silly to only be concerned about the inside of a frame with respect to rot. Is the inside of the frame the more commonplace where TJs rot? Yes. However, I feel the outside and inside of the frames need to be checked for how deep the rust is. I think rust on the outside of the frame is too often glossed over as "surface rust", which is not always true

Reactions: P man
The seller just sent me this. He took a hammer to that concerned area and brushed it with a wire brush. He said just the outside coating is coming off and that the inside of the frame is smooth to the touch.

A01411BC-3F93-4C1A-87AC-D8FDBE8288C7.jpeg

Reactions: Kid Mechanic