Is this my rear main seal leaking?

prger

New here, trying to get some insight about this leak. It leaves a small puddle of oil every night. I was told it could be the RMS or oil pan gasket. Anyone have/seen a similar leak?

958740F9-23A4-4FF5-8749-46325057BED5.jpeg

41EA0A0C-0E6C-4127-AFEC-F7A732BA0B5F.png

7EA5AA47-B2D0-4EFC-9AE6-8A58B669AD2D.png

Just about every TJ owner ever. RMS or valve cover gasket are the usual suspects.
I did some more digging on forums and I see what you mean about “every TJ owner ever“, haha. Also, I really hope it’s the valve cover gasket and not the RMS since it’s a way easier fix.

Slight chance the drainplug gasket is letting oil blow back to there and drip down. Slight chance. I've had people claim same and drainplug not even hand tight.

Change your valve cover gasket, wait a couple weeks and see what it looks like then. If it still leaks change the RMS.

I had this issue too, thought it was the RMS, but in my case it was the two bolts at the back of my oil pan were not tight enough. I fixed that and have not have any leak at all back there. But I have had three TJs now and the other two needed the RMS replaced. Most with the 4.0 do sooner or later. But at least you can go through the oil pan, don't have to pull the Trans or Engine to get to it.

I recently changed my RMS. No rusted exhaust bolts to contend with. It is truly a simple task that was pleasurable to perform. I used Fel-Pro seal and gaskets. As you are from NJ, chances are you will have rusted exhaust bolts to contend with. Working on my back (no lift) it took me 3 hours start to finish, and I took my time.