Is this paint self-repairable or does it require a professional?

Sorry, maybe less common? I don't see it allot but I don't pay close attention, especially to makes you listed. My 2011 Civic is perfect but it ain't as old as the Jeep that's for sure. I'll get back to you in seven years.
All 3 companies used a new environmentally friendly paint on some vehicles, mainly white ones and there are thousands with the paint flaking and sheeting off hoods fenders and rear hatches due to UV affecting the paint! I gave up caring after Hyundai takes no responsibility but many in USA have gotten pay outs from Honda already. So common in fact there is another in my street less than 200 yards away from me same as mine, once you look for them there are many! Work Colleague just had his rear hatch repainted on a year old Tucson.

I had a few stone chips and crow's feet on my hood... Took the hood right off and sanded it down... Used 3 cans of paint matched duplicolor ... Looks pretty darn good...(did fenders too). I should have used a 4th can on the hood. Lesson I learned... Buy more cans than you need and return what you didn't.

All 3 companies used a new environmentally friendly paint on some vehicles, mainly white ones and there are thousands with the paint flaking and sheeting off hoods fenders and rear hatches due to UV affecting the paint! I gave up caring after Hyundai takes no responsibility but many in USA have gotten pay outs from Honda already. So common in fact there is another in my street less than 200 yards away from me same as mine, once you look for them there are many! Work Colleague just had his rear hatch repainted on a year old Tucson.
Hyundai is kinda a budget brand in the States, what is your perception of the brand down under? If somebody told me their Tucson paint was crap I wouldn't be totally surprised. I also haven't seen what you're talking about personally but like I said, haven't looked.

Hyundai is kinda a budget brand in the States, what is your perception of the brand down under? If somebody told me their Tucson paint was crap I wouldn't be totally surprised. I also haven't seen what you're talking about personally but like I said, haven't looked.
Was a budget brand 10 years ago but now taking over as one of the market leaders but they still have budget models like my wife's. Cars a more expensive in australia than US

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/ford/f350/

Reactions: pagrey
Not an issue on newer vehicles! Your kidding right? class actions against Honda Kia and Hyundai in USA but cant do squat in Australia :( pics of my wifes 5 year old Hyundai.

View attachment 276198

View attachment 276199
That looks like my old 1990 F-150. Paint came off in sheets.
They had a 'Customer Dialog' addressing it, but never really advertised it, so I missed out by a month.
I haven't bought a Ford product since.

Reactions: Fishtaco
X2

Here is my tj crows feet.

Notice the cowling... thats where I had flaking.. and used mopar matched spraypaint.

One side was done by my wife... looks pretty good.

The center and driver side was done by me... looks pretty bad.

View attachment 276192

View attachment 276193

View attachment 276195

My Metalic Khaki flaked in a similar spot. Repaired it with a water-based color match paint (didn't realize it was water-based when I purchased it). Repair is alright but on my list to revisit with something I can wet sand....

IMG_20161010_121239965.jpg

IMG_20161010_121431519.jpg

Thanks everyone. Sounds like my suspicions were right and it'll need a whole new paint job. Someone mentioned just getting a replacement hood. Whats that process look like? Probably pretty hard to find the right hood without similar problems, eh?

Thanks everyone. Sounds like my suspicions were right and it'll need a whole new paint job. Someone mentioned just getting a replacement hood. Whats that process look like? Probably pretty hard to find the right hood without similar problems, eh?
Just paint yours or get someone to paint it.

If you're having the hood painted, paint the cowl and based on the pics, your grille looks like it could use some lipstick, too.

2002 TJ, the PO said this chipping happens from the hood getting hot. I'd like to get it back in decent shape but wondering if this is a DIY project or if I need to bring it in. If it is something a novice can take care, how might I go about that?

Its just on the the hood. Some crackles in the clear coat maybe? Plus much more chipping. Would love your thoughts!

View attachment 276060

View attachment 276061

View attachment 276062

View attachment 276063
Crows feet, usually due to heat. I have it but less severe, can’t be fixed without a repaint

but many in USA have gotten pay outs from Honda already.
My ‘07 Civic had issues like that after a few years and Honda paid for the hood to be repainted. Since then the clear coat has faded and flaked on every horizontal/sloped surface.

The roof looked awful and I had a body shop repaint it ~5 years ago with some insurance $ from a minor collision.

I’m keeping the car for the long term (247k miles and counting) but I won’t pay a fortune for a repaint.

I sanded and repainted the trunk myself with SEM Factory Pack (OEM base color in a rattle can) and a SEM clear. I’m not looking for a like-new paint job; just something that looks decent from 20 feet away. So far so good. I’m moving on to the left quarter panel now. Maybe the doors after that.

I've seen unpainted replacement hoods available for around $200-$300. I've also heard if you take the hood off and bring it to the shop it can be cheaper because they don't have to mask the windshield, etc. - so not having to strip or mask definitely sounds like it could end up cheaper. I'm going to make some calls and I'll let you know what they say.

• Haha
Reactions: Fishtaco
PX8. I had to look up SEM factory packs, looks like mine would be 19103. Is this recommended over MOPAR rattle cans?
I don't know if SEM would be better than Mopar, but as a complete beginner on painting cars with pretty low expectations, the SEM factory pack seems like a good product. I used 19143 Black Pearl for my Civic.

SEM might have discontinued the color you need, but if it's available and the price isn't too different from Mopar, it could be worth a try.