It just happened!

This one has me genuinely excited. During the last ten years my wife has literally never taken an interest in any Jeep I've built. When she saw this one, after the "You bought a third Jeep?" discussion, she came back and said she really liked it and asked if she could try to drive it. That is truly a miracle, so I'm going to lean in a direction of keeping it drivable for her. All good parts of course, with a focus on handling and braking improvements. Beyond that, she will be helping define a path forward. :)
That's awesome! Sounds like another great chapter is about to unfold for you. I know you'll keep us posted.

I can say that having my wife involved in the build plan has made a big difference for me over the years. I know I wouldn't have been able to devote the resources I have (time & money) if she didn't share the interest. Have fun, man!

That's awesome! Sounds like another great chapter is about to unfold for you. I know you'll keep us posted.

I can say that having my wife involved in the build plan has made a big difference for me over the years. I know I wouldn't have been able to devote the resources I have (time & money) if she didn't share the interest. Have fun, man!
I guess I'm lucky that Mrs App wants my blue LJ so she can wheel with me. She's grown tired of riding shotgun for days on end. I did let her drive hells last trip though, the second time we did it.

I guess I'm lucky that Mrs App wants my blue LJ so she can wheel with me. She's grown tired of riding shotgun for days on end. I did let her drive hells last trip though, the second time we did it.
Did she drive the whole trail or just Hell's Gate? :D

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition

You are both lucky! For me, this would be a big breakthrough. As you already know, wheeling without your significant other can be still be fun. However, I always come away wishing she was there with me, sharing in the fun. Fingers crossed that this will nudge things in that direction! ;)

This one has me genuinely excited. During the last ten years my wife has literally never taken an interest in any Jeep I've built. When she saw this one, after the "You bought a third Jeep?" discussion, she came back and said she really liked it and asked if she could try to drive it. That is truly a miracle, so I'm going to lean in a direction of keeping it drivable for her. All good parts of course, with a focus on handling and braking improvements. Beyond that, she will be helping define a path forward. :)
A miracle indeed. Congrats

You are both lucky! For me, this would be a big breakthrough. As you already know, wheeling without your significant other can be still be fun. However, I always come away wishing she was there with me, sharing in the fun. Fingers crossed that this will nudge things in that direction! ;)
Get her to Moab and that may help.

You know this is on my bucket list! :love:
It's on hers too, she just doesn't know it yet.

07eec82311?type=jpeg&quality=55&c=15&a=4379240d.jpg

OK, thanks. I am in the same boat and the pump is the last thing I need for a complete refresh. I will wait and see how you make out.
I bite the bullet and just ordered the Mopar pump. Since my wife may be piloting this, I didn't want to cut corners.

Hah! This same thing happened to me when I brought my Apex home a month or so ago. She didn't care about the Sahara but for some reason really liked the Apex. So now we are sharing the build ideas and she will drive this one a bit.

The Apex needed a motor. I found a good used one but wanted to do some refresh on it before the swap, including the water pump. I also struggled with the cost of the Mopar pump, but since she will be piloting it a bit, I bit the bullet and ordered it as well. It hurt, but hopefully it was the right choice.

A short video of me doing a happy dance for you. :cool:
200.gif

Hah! This same thing happened to me when I brought my Apex home a month or so ago. She didn't care about the Sahara but for some reason really liked the Apex. So now we are sharing the build ideas and she will drive this one a bit.

The Apex needed a motor. I found a good used one but wanted to do some refresh on it before the swap, including the water pump. I also struggled with the cost of the Mopar pump, but since she will be piloting it a bit, I bit the bullet and ordered it as well. It hurt, but hopefully it was the right choice.

I like the Apex also and have never seen one in person only the pictures everyone posts of them.

Reactions: hardtailpan
Parts have started to arrive. The mix of locations where parts are made is interesting. Taiwan, Philippines, China, US, Canada, and more. Like the Silver TJ, a new SKIM is on order also. Thus far, here is what will be installed:

2004 JEEP WRANGLER 4.0L L6
CONTINENTAL66692Radiator Hose
CONTINENTAL62394Radiator Hose
CONTINENTAL64418Heater Hose / Pipe
CONTINENTAL64419Heater Hose / Pipe
CONTINENTAL49256Belt Tensioner
CONTINENTAL49039Idler Pulley
FEL-PRO35630Thermostat / Thermostat Housing / Water Outlet Seal
GATESCO34741Thermostat Housing / Water Outlet
STANT45359Thermostat
STANT10334Radiator Cap
MOPAR5503 7653ABRadiator
OMIX17105.12Fan Clutch
MOPAR5012366AFWater Pump
THERMOCURETC001Coolant System Rust Remover
RED HOUND‎2946079Valve Cover Grommet
DORMAN47128PCV Rubber Hose Connectors
FELPRO45458Timing Cover Gasket Set with Repair Sleeve
MELLINGM167HVSHigh Volume Oil Pump and Screen
FELPRO35629Water Pump Gasket
DORMAN47079PCV Elbow (Back of Valve Cover)
DORMAN47057PCV Elbow (Front of Valve Cover)
DORMAN56398Water Pump Inlet Tube
CLOYES90385SATiming Set
SKPSK594018Harmonic Balancer
MOPAR56010209ADSKIM (Electrical Immobilizer Module)
DORMAN924-784Ignition Lock Cylinder
FELPRO50458Valve Cover Gasket
FELPRO34308Oil Pan Gasket
FELPROBS 40183Rear Main Seal

Great looking LJ. I'm looking forward to your project (almost) as much as you. A few months ago I bought a 2005 LJ with 98K miles and completely stock except for 31" tires. I've been reading your "A lesson learned" project, and have been starting a slow build, keeping the 31" tires, and planning a 2" lift on H&R springs and StreetRays spacers. I'm sure we'll all be able to pick up more tips and inspiration as you build this one. Thanks for the great documentation and excellent photography.

FYI, the Mopar pump I bought last year has a plastic impeller.

Whatever you do, avoid Savvy products. I heard they have terrible customer service. 😜
About 20k miles back I put a Crown water pump on my TJ. I was surprised that it had a metal impeller whereas the Mopar was plastic. The pump worked ok but the coolant temp was slightly higher. That pump just failed and I replaced it with a Mopar. Now the coolant temp is back down again, just a few degrees but enough to notice.

About 20k miles back I put a Crown water pump on my TJ. I was surprised that it had a metal impeller whereas the Mopar was plastic. The pump worked ok but the coolant temp was slightly higher. That pump just failed and I replaced it with a Mopar. Now the coolant temp is back down again, just a few degrees but enough to notice.
I ended up just getting a Mopar pump. Luck was with me, because I got one on Amazon for $80. It was a "Wharehouse" item. Had a torn package, but that was it. And yes, the impeller is plastic.