It just happened!

Just be advised, by the time it's all done you're looking at $500+ for the SKIM, keys, and programming the computer/keys.

The last two I've purchased came from here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O3STD6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
FWIW, I've also bought my last two Mopar radiators and Mopar water pump from them. The prices are decent and delivery is fast.
but I might save $22.50 a year on my insurance for having an anti-theft device! Lol. Yeah, I figured it was expensive...after all, We're working on Wranglers...The good stuff ain't cheap and the cheap stuff ain't good!

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
but I might save $22.50 a year on my insurance for having an anti-theft device! Lol. Yeah, I figured it was expensive...after all, We're working on Wranglers...The good stuff ain't cheap and the cheap stuff ain't good!
Like you said, you can't put a price on peace of mind. It won't obviously stop a tow truck, but no thief is going to get in one with a SKIM and drive it away. A buddy of mine, also a Jeep owner, gave me crap about spending that kind of money. Then I got in his Jeep and started it, without his key, in less then 15 seconds. He was convinced! ;)

Finally removed the 1/2 doors from the backseat. This is nice to see in a TJ/LJ.

20211016_162710.jpg

Is that a JK seat as you suspected? I assumed those were too wide to fit in a TJ/ LJ?

It’s a JK/LJ hybrid seat that installed before selling it to Rich. There’s write ups here and some other forums, you basically have to move the mounts for the JK backrest inboard and then it will bolt right up to the TJ bottom. It was quite interesting ordering the Bartact cover it. Had to explain it to them a couple times to get them to understand what I needed lol

Very nice jeep Rich. I’ll be watching. I’m trying to find a TJ or Unlimited that gets my wife excited to drive as well. She doesn’t mind tagging along and every now and then asks if we can go out on a trail. But I think if she had her own it’d be a very different story.

Can’t wait to see this one’s progress!

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
Is that a JK seat as you suspected? I assumed those were too wide to fit in a TJ/ LJ?
It’s a JK/LJ hybrid seat that installed before selling it to Rich. There’s write ups here and some other forums, you basically have to move the mounts for the JK backrest inboard and then it will bolt right up to the TJ bottom. It was quite interesting ordering the Bartact cover it. Had to explain it to them a couple times to get them to understand what I needed lol

This got me curious. Here is what I found. Isn’t a direct bolt in but doesn’t seem to bad for someone with fab skills. Maybe another project I can ask my brother to take on for me.

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/jk-high-back-rear-seat-in-a-tj-lj.40862/

@Irun I see you ordered the high volume oil pump. Is it preferred over the standard volume on a stock engine?

Reactions: Irun
Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) is a component of a larger Chrysler Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). This is hands down the best electronic security available for our Jeeps. Given how easy these things are to steal, and how much time and money I put into building one, I won't have a Wrangler without it. FWIW, it's easy to tell if you have the SKIS. If you have a black key, you do not. If you have a gray key, you do. Here's a little more information, but the short version is:

"When you attempt to start a vehicle with this feature, the onboard computer sends out a RF signal that is read up by the electronic transponder chip embedded in the key. The transponder then returns a unique signal back to the vehicle’s computer, giving it the ok for the vehicle to start and continue to run. This all happens in under a second, and is completely transparent to the vehicle driver. For additional security, two pre-programmed keys are needed in order to register additional keys into the system. In the event of the loss of all keys, special programming equipment is needed to register new keys into the system."

As for the $70 keys, you can buy Chinese knock offs on ebay for $9 to $10 each. I just don't trust being able to start my vehicle to a knock off alternative. They do work, but they're not for me. Unless of course there is no other alternative.

https://jeepspecs.com/jeep/jeep-parts-equipment/sentry-key-immobilizer-system/
Well, I have grey keys and have just checked and found the indicator light on my dash. Something else I have learnt from you, thank you.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
@Irun I see you ordered the high volume oil pump. Is it preferred over the standard volume on a stock engine?
The only advantage is a higher oil flow rate, typically somewhere on the order of 15 to 20%. My thinking is exchanging the oil more can't hurt. The downside is you have to double check the pickup clearance. I've seen some where the pickup hits the bottom of the oil pan.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Very nice jeep Rich. I’ll be watching. I’m trying to find a TJ or Unlimited that gets my wife excited to drive as well. She doesn’t mind tagging along and every now and then asks if we can go out on a trail. But I think if she had her own it’d be a very different story.

Can’t wait to see this one’s progress!
If you get her one built like yours, I'm guessing she'll be happy! (y)

• Haha
Reactions: Nickgsjeep
High volume oil pumps keep the oil filter in bypass longer, doesn't matter much but it's a thing. You could increase the pressure to a point the oil would never be filtered at all, obviously that ain't gonna happen but it might help to visualize what's going on. In cold climates the filter can be in bypass for awhile, especially if you don't use a block heater.

This one is like an unplanned child, it just happened, and I'm going to love it anyway! That said, let's get started with the details! This Shale Green 2004 LJ, one of 309, was most recently owned by another forum member @jwilson2899 (Jeff). Before that, by a Nurse in Winchester, VA. Under Jeff's ownership he made some tasteful additions that were focused on creating a comfortable daily driver. Since this was a fairly stripped down model, with a single note horn, soft top, full doors, and A/C, Jeff added the following under his ownership:

- Color matched 1/2 doors, with mirrors
- Tinted full door windows
- Hard top, headlined and wired in for the wiper and defroster controls
- Factory Cruise Control
- Rubicon flares
- Alpine Double DIN Stereo and backup camera
- Subwoofer
- LED headlights and tail lights
- LED dash and interior lights
- JK-based (I think?) back seat, with built-in headrests
- BulletPoint cell phone mount
- Bartact front and rear set covers
- Quadratech floor and cargo mats
- Rocker rails/steps
- Mopar AEV RockCrawler Front and Rear bumpers
- Smittybuilt 10k Winch with Factor 55 Fairlead and Flatlink
- 2" lift
- Sock Moab wheels
- Falken Wildpeak AT3 tires 265/75R16 (C Rated)
- ZJ steering upgrade
- Single ARB compressor (under the hood)

At sale time, Jeff also included a few uninstalled parts, including:
- Parts for adding a transmission cooler and temperature gauge
- East Coast Gear Supply 4340 rear Dana 44 axles

I was happy with my Jeep until I saw this. Sell me your bumpers and I'll be a little less jealous.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
High volume oil pumps keep the oil filter in bypass longer, doesn't matter much but it's a thing. You could increase the pressure to a point the oil would never be filtered at all, obviously that ain't gonna happen but it might help to visualize what's going on. In cold climates the filter can be in bypass for awhile, especially if you don't use a block heater.
High volume pumps don't increase pressure. They control flow with different gearing. A high pressure pump changes the spring, to control bypass. In older engines that develop more bearing clearance, high volume pumps help maintain the same flow rate as a standard pump.

Reactions: TJ Starting
The passages in the block are fixed in size
This part is true. However, if the pump isn't able to flow enough oil to fill the passages, perhaps due to bleed off, how will the pressure increase? A high volume pump simply allows for a slightly increased flow rate, specifically in cases where clearances are not tight.

That said, I have seen an increase in pressure with a high volume pump. In this particular case I had a 180+K engine that typically ran at it 20 psi, according to the gauge, at idle. After the installation of a Melling HV pump it ran where all my others jeeps run, i.e. at 40 psi. This same engine went on to go well past 300K.

To be clear, I won't always install a HV pump. In this situation, with a 104K on the current LJ build, it's likely it won't be needed. Of course I won't know for sure until I remove the pan to replace the RMS. As a standard procedure, I plastiguage the removed bearing cap to get a baseline. If the measurements aren't within specification, I'll add a HV pump. This time however, with a parts shortage, I'm not waiting and will just install the a HV pump. Having run both standard and HV pumps in multiple 4.0Ls, I have zero concern about running the later. As you said, "do what makes me happy", so I will do what makes me comfortable, and makes the engine live a long and healthy life.

For anyone else paying attention, here is a short video about bleed off, as a result of increased clearances.