It just happened!

I was happy with my Jeep until I saw this. Sell me your bumpers and I'll be a little less jealous.
I've really never understood the fascination with these bumpers. That said, the uniqueness is growing on me and I plan to stick with them for this build. The one negative thing I see about them, in their current state, is that you can't run a dual rate stabilizer, like a Swayloc. Fortunately, like many other things here, @mrblaine has created a modified version that addresses this issue. If it comes down to a need for a dual rate stabilizer, I'd attempt to follow what he has already done.

Not having a need to go there now, my first step will be to remove the rear tow hitch, so it doesn't distract from the lines of the bumper. I'm also looking at a way to add small backup lights to the rear bumper, but haven't figured out a clean way to do that yet. Small steps forward!

I've really never understood the fascination with these bumpers. That said, the uniqueness is growing on me and I plan to stick with them for this build. The one negative thing I see about them, in their current state, is that you can't run a dual rate stabilizer, like a Swayloc. Fortunately, like many other things here, @mrblaine has created a modified version that addresses this issue. If it comes down to a need for a dual rate stabilizer, I'd attempt to follow what he has already done.

Not having a need to go there now, my first step will be to remove the rear tow hitch, so it doesn't distract from the lines of the bumper. I'm also looking at a way to add small backup lights to the rear bumper, but haven't figured out a clean way to do that yet. Small steps forward!

No, there is actually no uniqueness to grow on you. You're right that they are ugly and overrated. I feel badly for you, and I'm willing to take them off your hands as a favor. You know, because I'm a nice guy. I'll even drive to from SC to VA so you don't have to ship. Ok? Ok, good deal.

No, there is actually no uniqueness to grow on you. You're right that they are ugly and overrated. I feel badly for you, and I'm willing to take them off your hands as a favor. You know, because I'm a nice guy. I'll even drive to from SC to VA so you don't have to ship. Ok? Ok, good deal.
Almost convincing! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Removed the tow hitch today and was surprised with what I found. The Mopar Rock Crawler bumper is only secured by two (2) bolts on each side, meaning there are just four (4) bolts total. Also, there are no extraction points at all, not that I would want to pull on it with only the existing bolts. :(

20211022_150450.jpg

20211022_153436.jpg

20211022_153512.jpg

Removed the tow hitch today and was surprised with what I found. The Mopar Rock Crawler bumper is only secured by two (2) bolts on each side, meaning there are just four (4) bolts total. Also, there are no extraction points at all, not that I would want to pull on it with only existing bolts. :(

View attachment 285538

View attachment 285539

View attachment 285540

Rich, I think in their plans you would run the OEM/Mopar rear tow hook, so that would be your recovery point as well as getting mounted to the frame. I never had the rear hook (was gone when I got it) or I'd offer it back to you.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
Rich, I think in their plans you would run the OEM/Mopar rear tow hook, so that would be your recovery point as well as getting mounted to the frame.
I figured something must be missing. I can see where you could also drill some additional holes, but given the scarcity of these, I'd hate to butcher it!

On the plus side, I'm not seeing much rust. What I do see is surface rust and can be easily dealt with!

Reactions: Wildman
Had a very positive conversation with the wife this weekend about the Jeep, which she never really likes to talk about. She asked genuine questions about what I plan to do and told me that she would indeed drive it, provided the following conditions are met:

1. It is built for her, not for me
2. The ride height has to remain as it is
3. The exterior appearance needs to remain, relatively, as it is

Out of the gate, I already see a couple issues here, but didn't want to detract from the forward progress. Specifically:

- Item #2 means I will have an issue ditching the stock transfer case skid. I know it could be left alone, but I can't do that. It is just plain ugly and distracts from the overall lines. Installing a Savvy UA, in place of the stock skid, is the only way to go, but this means a 1.25" BL is needed.

- Item #3 means I have to keep the Moab wheels and Falken A/T3W 265/75R16 tires. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but I will be doing the Yukon WU-07 small hub kit. This means the center bore would need enlarging to accommodate the hub kit.

- Lastly, the bumpers are an ongoing discussion. She originally wanted to keep them. However, when I showed her how the front and rear could be enhanced, she remains open, so far, to the discussion.

All in all, this is very encouraging. She has never taken any interest in my builds, but is in this case. On the mechanical side, she is leaving that up to me, as long as reliability and safety are paramount. Big brake kit, here we come! :)

Can you show her in your TJ how the BL doesn't really change things and explain why you want/need to do this?

As for the hubs can you have the current wheels machined for the hubs? Cheaper than new wheels but not inexpensive either.

Reactions: Irun
Had a very positive conversation with the wife this weekend about the Jeep, which she never really likes to talk about. She asked genuine questions about what I plan to do and told me that she would indeed drive it, provided the following conditions are met:

Out of the gate, I already see a couple issues here, but didn't want to detract from the forward progress. Specifically:

- Item #2 means I will have an issue ditching the stock transfer case skid. I know it could be left alone, but I can't do that. It is just plain ugly and distracts from the overall lines. Installing a Savvy UA, in place of the stock skid, is the only way to go, but this means a 1.25" BL is needed.

- Item #3 means I have to keep the Moab wheels and Falken A/T3W 265/75R16 tires. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but I will be doing the Yukon WU-07 small hub kit. This means the center bore would need enlarging to accommodate the hub kit.

- Lastly, the bumpers are an ongoing discussion. She originally wanted to keep them. However, when I showed her how the front and rear could be enhanced, she remains open, so far, to the discussion.

All in all, this is very encouraging. She has never taken any interest in my builds, but is in this case. On the mechanical side, she is leaving that up to me, as long as reliability and safety are paramount. Big brake kit, here we come! :)
Why not a UCF no BL tuck?

Can you show her in your TJ how the BL doesn't really change things and explain why you want/need to do this?
The problem here is the stupid deep rocker on the TJ. At 5'3", adding another 1.25" will be noticed. It currently has BDS 2" springs, so if I can figure out a way around that, I'm good!
As for the hubs can you have the current wheels machined for the hubs? Cheaper than new wheels but not inexpensive either.
I just chatted with a buddy of mine who modified his Moab wheels. The only issue, according to him, is you have to do all of them, including the spare. Then you have a center cap issue. This is a solvable problem, which I just need some time to look at.

Agreed but if the BL is a problem...
All things are on the table now. I already know the H&R springs don't net a 1" lift on an LJ. However, If I can install them, effectively netting 0 -1/2" lift, add a 1" spacer, then add a BL, I may be in the ballpark. I have this exact setup on the TJ now, so the parts are already in hand to experiment with. It's just a little time to R&R the springs and test things out.

Ok, all joking about the bumpers aside, I really like this post. Sounds like a healthy conversation and I hope it all works out.

But ... back to those bumpers. You know I'm here for you if they end up having to go ...

So, I hate to be the voice of reason here...but why not just make the thing drive well and be reliable...and let her have it? His and Hers, so to speak. Let her drive it, as is for a couple years, start with a couple "exploration" trail days where she takes her jeep...even if she doesn't want to drive, the two of you are out an about. See if that bug will bite. That's kinda how I got my wife involved. She likes exploring, and we keep doing more and more. I'll push her limits a little with a hill climb, or some off camber...then we'll enjoy the rest of the ride. We'll talk about it, and she gets more comfortable.

So, I hate to be the voice of reason here...but why not just make the thing drive well and be reliable...and let her have it? His and Hers, so to speak. Let her drive it, as is for a couple years, start with a couple "exploration" trail days where she takes her jeep...even if she doesn't want to drive, the two of you are out an about. See if that bug will bite. That's kinda how I got my wife involved. She likes exploring, and we keep doing more and more. I'll push her limits a little with a hill climb, or some off camber...then we'll enjoy the rest of the ride. We'll talk about it, and she gets more comfortable.
Now you're using common sense. Stop that this instant mister! ;)

Seriously, I've been going back and fourth on this. Knowing my wife, and how she drives, there are three places, in order, I have to address:

- Handling
- Braking, and
- Tucking up the bottom side

I also know there is a high probability this will land back in my lap. Given my age and likelihood of retirement soon, I don't want to waste time or money. On the other hand, the cost and scarcity of parts may make the decision easier for me. The one silver lining, for me ,is if I simplified things for her I could buy the Rubicrawler for my TJ. At this point, I'm still thinking out loud, to get a firm plan. Bottom line, Keep the practicality coming!

My wife used to be scared to death riding with me in the Jeep. I've groomed her, and now only cliff ledges bug her.

I'm not convinced my wife will ever venture out past the shopping excursions in the LJ. However, I'm taking the long view and have not given up hope yet!

Now you're using common sense. Stop that this instant mister! ;)

Seriously, I've been going back and fourth on this. Knowing my wife, and how she drives, there are three places, in order, I have to address:

- Handling
- Braking, and
- Tucking up the bottom side

I also know there is a high probability this will land back in my lap. Given my age and likelihood of retirement soon, I don't want to waste time or money. On the other hand, the cost and scarcity of parts may make the decision easier for me. The one silver lining, for me ,is if I simplified things for her I could buy the Rubicrawler for my TJ. At this point, I'm still thinking out loud, to get a firm plan. Bottom line, Keep the practicality coming!

I'm not convinced my wife will ever venture out past the shopping excursions in the LJ. However, I'm taking the long view and have not given up hope yet!
Why do you need a tummy tuck if it's her vehicle to drive around? I know them factory skids are ugly, but you can get an inexpensive Barnes steel skid to clean up the look without going nuts.

I also will interject about the locking hubs. If you want to make it easy for her to use, leave the factory unit bearings in. Then you can keep the wheels original.

Plans aside, I know what's next on the list. The rear passenger axle seal is leaking worse than when I first saw it. At the time of sale, Jeff included a set of ECGS 4340 rear axle shafts. I'll either be installing those or a brand new pair of Superior shafts I bought years ago and never used. For the Superior shafts, I have both front and rear.

20211024_162608.jpg