It just happened!

I'm constantly amazed at the caliper of people I've met as a result of having a TJ/LJ. I had a chance to meet up with @mastergunnera8 today and talk Jeeps for a while. He is a great guy and very enthusiastic about the LJ he recently acquired. It was a pleasure to meet you Scott and you've got a solid platform to build on. Like I said earlier, it's just work (and maybe a little money) to make it better! ;)

Last edited:
I'm constantly amazed at the caliper of people I've met as a result of having a TJ/LJ. I had a chance to meet up with @mastergunnera8 today and talk Jeeps for a while. He is a great guy and very enthusiastic about the LJ he recently acquired. It was a pleasure to meet you Scott and you've got a solid platform to build on. Like I said earlier, it's just work (and maybe a little money) to make it better! ;)
Thanks! great to meet you also and appreciate the time you spent schooling me and compiling my hit list!! What a wealth of knowledge!!! However I owe you an apology for drooling on your TJ so much and not having the decency to clean it off Sir...

He's a DAT so I don't know about him... :D But so am I so he must be OK.

Good gawd has Jeff ever owned a jeep longer than a year? 😂 I will say he's extremely meticulous about maintenance though. Great pick up

Reactions: Irun
Good gawd has Jeff ever owned a jeep longer than a year? 😂 I will say he's extremely meticulous about maintenance though. Great pick up

I had this one for over 2 years, thank you very much. And I had my JKU for almost 5 years.

I honestly probably would have kept this one, but adulting is hard. Plus having it go to a good home was the final push I needed.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
  • Haha
I dont speak French. SKIM $70 keys WFT ?
Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) is a component of a larger Chrysler Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). This is hands down the best electronic security available for our Jeeps. Given how easy these things are to steal, and how much time and money I put into building one, I won't have a Wrangler without it. FWIW, it's easy to tell if you have the SKIS. If you have a black key, you do not. If you have a gray key, you do. Here's a little more information, but the short version is:

"When you attempt to start a vehicle with this feature, the onboard computer sends out a RF signal that is read up by the electronic transponder chip embedded in the key. The transponder then returns a unique signal back to the vehicle’s computer, giving it the ok for the vehicle to start and continue to run. This all happens in under a second, and is completely transparent to the vehicle driver. For additional security, two pre-programmed keys are needed in order to register additional keys into the system. In the event of the loss of all keys, special programming equipment is needed to register new keys into the system."

As for the $70 keys, you can buy Chinese knock offs on ebay for $9 to $10 each. I just don't trust being able to start my vehicle to a knock off alternative. They do work, but they're not for me. Unless of course there is no other alternative.

https://jeepspecs.com/jeep/jeep-parts-equipment/sentry-key-immobilizer-system/

Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) is a component of a larger Chrysler Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). This is hands down the best electronic security available for our Jeeps. Given how easy these things are to steal, and how much time and money I put into building one, I won't have a Wrangler without it. FWIW, it's easy to tell if you have the SKIS. If you have a black key, you do not. If you have a gray key, you do. Here's a little more information, but the short version is:

"When you attempt to start a vehicle with this feature, the onboard computer sends out a RF signal that is read up by the electronic transponder chip embedded in the key. The transponder then returns a unique signal back to the vehicle’s computer, giving it the ok for the vehicle to start and continue to run. This all happens in under a second, and is completely transparent to the vehicle driver. For additional security, two pre-programmed keys are needed in order to register additional keys into the system. In the event of the loss of all keys, special programming equipment is needed to register new keys into the system."

As for the $70 keys, you can buy Chinese knock offs on ebay for $9 to $10 each. I just don't trust being able to start my vehicle to a knock off alternative. They do work, but they're not for me. Unless of course there is no other alternative.

https://jeepspecs.com/jeep/jeep-parts-equipment/sentry-key-immobilizer-system/
Where do you buy the skim modules? I don't have it, and have never really thought I needed it... But I'd be devastated if someone were to steal my Jeep after all the work I've put into it.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep and Irun
Where do you buy the skim modules? I don't have it, and have never really thought I needed it... But I'd be devastated if someone were to steal my Jeep after all the work I've put into it.
Just be advised, by the time it's all done you're looking at $500+ for the SKIM, keys, and programming the computer/keys.

The last two I've purchased came from here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O3STD6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
FWIW, I've also bought my last two Mopar radiators and Mopar water pump from them. The prices are decent and delivery is fast.

Reactions: Mike_H and Lax22
Was the SKIM feature available as factory equipment? Can it be added to any model year TJ? I've never heard of anything like this for the early models. The key for my '98 just looks like a plain metal key.