It just happened!

Because I've been busy with family related stuff, I haven't really had time to do anything with the Jeep. To make matters worse, It has been sitting outside since I bought it. This weekend, I finally had time to do the following:

- Drilled drain holes in the frame and spent a total of 5+ hours cleaning it out. Structurally, there are no issues though, so it's good I caught it now. Six cans of Fluid Film have been ordered and will make sure there is no more rust to worry about.

- I degreased under the hood, at least as much as I could reasonably get to. Once the front of the engine is disassembled, for the cooling and timing system refresh, I'll do more detailed work there. The Jeep was also washed and is now finally in the garage. However, it doesn't quite look the same as the blue one. Stock is a good look though!

LJ in grarage.jpg

Last edited:
My LJ had a 9/16" front hole when I bought it this year. It's a very clean and smooth hole, unlike anything I can drill, so I wonder if Jeep put holes in some. And the frame was very clean inside, nothing but a little sand, as far as I could reach with a quick piece of wire. I added a rear 3/8" hole.

Reactions: Irun
My LJ had a 9/16" front hole when I bought it this year. It's a very clean and smooth hole, unlike anything I can drill, so I wonder if Jeep put holes in some. And the frame was very clean inside, nothing but a little sand, as far as I could reach with a quick piece of wire. I added a rear 3/8" hole.
You have a manual, so I believe the front hole was factory. I'm pretty sure those were there for the automatic transmission skid, which uses nutserts like the transfer case skid. In the manuals the nutserts were not installed.

Reactions: Lax22
One part I'm missing for installing the transmission temperature gauge is the cooler. Normally, I use a B&M 70264. Like everything else, I go to order it and it's out of stock. A couple [laces show it in stock, but at a price of almost $50 more than one I bought back in March. Looks Like I'll be looking at alternatives. The 70273 is available, and is the same size, but uses a 1/2" NPT fitting vs the 3/8" barbed fitting on the 70264. :(

One part I'm missing for installing the transmission temperature gauge is the cooler. Normally, I use a B&M 70264. Like everything else, I go to order it and it's out of stock. A couple [laces show it in stock, but at a price of almost $50 more than one I bought back in March. Looks Like I'll be looking at alternatives. The 70273 is available, and is the same size, but uses a 1/2" NPT fitting vs the 3/8" barbed fitting on the 70264. :(

If you have any interest in one of the fancy Derale under the tub coolers, I have a friend who is selling a NIB one. He got it for his TJ, but then sold it before he installed it. If not I'm probably going to list it on here for him.

If you have any interest in one of the fancy Derale under the tub coolers, I have a friend who is selling a NIB one. He got it for his TJ, but then sold it before he installed it. If not I'm probably going to list it on here for him.
Send me a text on what he wants to get for it! (y)

@Irun, I can't help but notice that a new heater core isn't on your to-do list while most of the other components in the cooling system are?

@Irun, I can't help but notice that a new heater core isn't on your to-do list while most of the other components in the cooling system are?
Because the factory core isn't available, I absolutely won't touch that unless it is showing signs of failure/leaking. It's one of the few parts I'll leave alone!

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr
Hey @Irun , can you post a pic of your gates tstat housing?
Like you, I've had good luck with their water pumps, but when I bought their tstat housing it was pretty rough ... more than I felt like cleaning up. I had much better luck w/ the Dorman.

20210507_195628.jpg

Hey @Irun , can you post a pic of your gates tstat housing?
Like you, I've had good luck with their water pumps, but when I bought their tstat housing it was pretty rough ... more than I felt like cleaning up. I had much better luck w/ the Dorman.

View attachment 288024
I'll take a picture of mine when I get back home this evening. I don't remember them being that rough before, but what a huge difference between the Gates and Dorman. Night and day! :oops:

Reactions: Wildman
This one is like an unplanned child, it just happened, and I'm going to love it anyway! That said, let's get started with the details! This Shale Green 2004 LJ, one of 309, was most recently owned by another forum member @jwilson2899 (Jeff). Before that, by a Nurse in Winchester, VA. Under Jeff's ownership he made some tasteful additions that were focused on creating a comfortable daily driver. Since this was a fairly stripped down model, with a single note horn, soft top, full doors, and A/C, Jeff added the following under his ownership:

- Color matched 1/2 doors, with mirrors
- Tinted full door windows
- Hard top, headlined and wired in for the wiper and defroster controls
- Factory Cruise Control
- Rubicon flares
- Alpine Double DIN Stereo and backup camera
- Subwoofer
- LED headlights and tail lights
- LED dash and interior lights
- JK-based (I think?) back seat, with built-in headrests
- BulletPoint cell phone mount
- Bartact front and rear set covers
- Quadratech floor and cargo mats
- Rocker rails/steps
- Mopar AEV RockCrawler Front and Rear bumpers
- Smittybuilt 10k Winch with Factor 55 Fairlead and Flatlink
- 2" lift
- Sock Moab wheels
- Falken Wildpeak AT3 tires 265/75R16 (C Rated)
- ZJ steering upgrade
- Single ARB compressor (under the hood)

At sale time, Jeff also included a few uninstalled parts, including:
- Parts for adding a transmission cooler and temperature gauge
- East Coast Gear Supply 4340 rear Dana 44 axles

Pictures at time of purchase are:

View attachment 281142

View attachment 281143

View attachment 281144

View attachment 281145

View attachment 281146

View attachment 281147

View attachment 281148

View attachment 281149

View attachment 281150

View attachment 281151

View attachment 281152

View attachment 281153
Man I love it when a winner gets a winner- killer.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
Jeff knew this and was holding out on me. I had no idea there were different style Moab wheels. It looks like the ones on this Jeep are the one year, 2006, wheels. Learned something new today!

20211104_183414.jpg

Reactions: Alex01 and Wildman
Jeff knew this and was holding out on me. I had no idea there were different style Moab wheels. It looks like the ones on this Jeep are the one year, 2006, wheels. Learned something new today!

View attachment 288444

Oops, as a fellow Jeep encyclopedia, I just figured you knew, my bad. Those are indeed 2006 wheels, which are my favorite style. The lip gives them a bit more character.