Jeep reveals the Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid

Direct injection engines run great and make awesome power but are prone to plenty more failures than engines made 20 years ago. There are so many more parts on them. It’s how us modern technicians stay in business.

Being in the business, which manufacturers do you work on? Audi for instance, early on had issues that have been much improved, BMW has finally figured out their fuel pumps, so I’m curious to hear from someone like yourself that’s hands on

Theres a market for anything these days. I dont see this going away. Personally I dont care for the look of the 4 door but thats what sells. So much in fact its the only option for the JT. I think the JT would look great with 2 doors but what do I know?

Reactions: HardSell
Being in the business, which manufacturers do you work on? Audi for instance, early on had issues that have been much improved, BMW has finally figured out their fuel pumps, so I’m curious to hear from someone like yourself that’s hands on
I was with BMW from 2010 to 2017 and I’ve been with Jaguar Land Rover since then. I think the number one thing that comes to mind with long term reliability is all the carbon that gets built up and doesn’t get washed off the backs of the intake valves. Traditional fuel injection would spray fuel into those areas and keep them clean. I know you’re familiar with BMWs, it would be to the point we’d carbon blast the valves with walnut media with the vehicle still under warranty!

The fuel pumps are definitely better than they were 10 years ago but still expensive to repair if they break. Injectors don’t commonly fail but when they do they are also expensive. The older piezo style are junk to begin with.

I’m also not a fan of turbos if you’re trying to get high mileage out of these newer engines.

I was with BMW from 2010 to 2017 and I’ve been with Jaguar Land Rover since then. I think the number one thing that comes to mind with long term reliability is all the carbon that gets built up and doesn’t get washed off the backs of the intake valves. Traditional fuel injection would spray fuel into those areas and keep them clean. I know you’re familiar with BMWs, it would be to the point we’d carbon blast the valves with walnut media with the vehicle still under warranty!

The fuel pumps are definitely better than they were 10 years ago but still expensive to repair if they break. Injectors don’t commonly fail but when they do they are also expensive. The older piezo style are junk to begin with.

I’m also not a fan of turbos if you’re trying to get high mileage out of these newer engines.

The carbon build-up definitely is a concern however, from my experience, its the extended oil changes, shit fuel and lack of creating enough heat to burn that off. Now, I realize thats how 99% of everyday drivers use their cars but if they shortened oil intervals to 5k, incorporated fuel treatments, it'd be much less of an issue, in my opinion. I remember the early S4/RS4's would need walnut blasting often. The last three Audi's my wife has had, hasn't had any issues with carbon build up, but I drive the piss out them cause they're leased hahaha

350 hp, 50 mpg wrangler? Sweet!

Gonna be heavy, complex, and mechanically foreign to me.

But overlanders now have crazy range, assuming it has a 19 gallon tank.

The carbon build-up definitely is a concern however, from my experience, its the extended oil changes, shit fuel and lack of creating enough heat to burn that off. Now, I realize thats how 99% of everyday drivers use their cars but if they shortened oil intervals to 5k, incorporated fuel treatments, it'd be much less of an issue, in my opinion. I remember the early S4/RS4's would need walnut blasting often. The last three Audi's my wife has had, hasn't had any issues with carbon build up, but I drive the piss out them cause they're leased hahaha
I agree with oil change intervals being shortened. 15 or 16k is too long. Saw plenty of turbo oil supply lines sludge up on the N63s as a result.

The carbon issue happens because the injector is spraying directly into the cylinder and not onto the intake valve before entering the cylinder (which would keep the carbon cleaned off).

Couple that with the way the EGR systems route the crap right back on top of those valves and you’ll understand why I lease a new car every 3 years too 😄

I agree with oil change intervals being shortened. 15 or 16k is too long. Saw plenty of turbo oil supply lines sludge up on the N63s as a result.

The carbon issue happens because the injector is spraying directly into the cylinder and not onto the intake valve before entering the cylinder (which would keep the carbon cleaned off).

Couple that with the way the EGR systems route the crap right back on top of those valves and you’ll understand why I lease a new car every 3 years too 😄

Emissions bullshit! To conclude on my point, in 20 years Im sure there will be an easier way to handle these carbon issues and make these direction injection engine even better. As tech improves, it only will get better. However, there is no perfect solution. There will always be downsides to everything.

350 hp, 50 mpg wrangler? Sweet!

Gonna be heavy, complex, and mechanically foreign to me.

But overlanders now have crazy range, assuming it has a 19 gallon tank.
What’s so different between this and a fusion energi plug in hybrid, ours got maybe 35 mpg on a good day. They must get that number by combining with battery range. We never plug in the battery, wasn’t worth it to get the 20 miles.

It's a great way to signal your virtues that you care about the environment. Instead of fixing up and driving an older car that saves all the energy and components needed to build a new car. Doing that gets you zero environmental street cred compared to leasing a newly built hybrid for your long commute into work and tossing it in 3 years.

For me it would be great. The company put chargers out in the parking lot for free electricity as part of a feel good PR thing. So I could drive back and forth to work on electricity only and not have to pay for it. But then how do you estimate the fuel economy of a gasoline/coal plant hybrid system? Almost all of the power in the city comes from 2 coal plants nearby. I'd have to know the gas mileage in all gas mode, because the electric range is 25 miles. I'm not sure how much it would be able to split between the 2 systems after 50 miles or so.

I live close to work so my commute is short. If I take my car out of town on a trip once in the year I might put on 5,000 miles that year.

I'll take a hybrid over an all electric vehicle. When you live out here in the middle of nowhere, there aren't many charging options and I'm not carrying a cable and begging for electricity when I visit people. I don't ask them for gas money now. When we go see my relatives this weekend we'll drive around 400 miles that day.

Last edited:
My bike is electric
I *ALMOST* bought an e-bike years back to commute on. I bought a regular bike with the intention of adding the e-wheel - but never did as pedaling it for the 4.18 miles (each way) was just fine. Now that I'm older, maybe I would - but I'm retired. Still ride the bike though!

Reactions: Apparition
Yet another case of throwing expensive technology at a gas motor. What a waste. Show me a DIESEL electric hybrid, and you'll have something.

I could not agree with you more but the 50mpg to me is crazy.

Honestly I'm considering getting this for my wife, she has a 45 minute commute to work each way, currently she is driving an 2017 Renegade which gets about 27mpg, I could upgrade her to this Jeep, she wants more room anyway, and it would cut down on our fuel bill considerably as well.

Plus it's an excuse to get my wife into a Wrangler, so I have no complaints there!

I’m selling my LJ for one. 50MPG is amazing. That’s better than my Honda Accord. The people thinking this is a flop are going to be left behind. This is the future I wanted, driving a rolling brick on 37s with V8 power and 50mpg on top.

Last edited:
I’m selling my LJ for one. 50MPG is amazing. That’s better than my Honda Accord. People thinking this is a flop are going to be left behind. This is the future I wanted, driving rolling brick on 37s with V8 power and 50mpg on top.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about selling my LJR for the same reason and I'm a diesel guy and I can't get this kind of fuel economy out of mine . . .

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about selling my LJR for the same reason and I'm a diesel guy and I can't get this kind of fuel economy out of mine . . .
They all come standard with D44s as well. That’s what tipped me over. I was originally planning on getting a new rubicon, but the rubicon trim PLUS this 4xe trim will probably be really expensive. But if they all come with D44s, I’ll save my money for a sport and just add lockers and add a tcase later. It really comes down to how much “4xe” is.

They all come standard with D44s as well. That’s what tipped me over. I was originally planning on getting a new rubicon, but the rubicon trim PLUS this 4xe trim will probably be really expensive. But if they all come with D44s, I’ll save my money for a sport and just add lockers and add a tcase later. It really comes down to how much “4xe” is.

Agreed! I'll probably get a base model for my wife, she doesn't need the extra capability, if it turns out to work really well, I'm tempted to sell my LJR and get a Rubicon model for myself. Its weird saying that as I've been waiting for the diesel Wrangler for years, been trying to save up for it and now I want the 4xE model now.

I'd like to see how it does offroad but it has so many features packed into it that would benefit me offroad it's hard to overlook honestly!

Reactions: KennedyLJ