Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

Something I haven't seen mentioned as far as helping, dunno if it pertains to the Jeep or not.... I have used relay harnesses on some of my older vehicles for the headlights. There has been a few I have seen as much as 4-5 volt drop at the headlight end. Not necessarily an issue with LED, but can help when upgrading with halogen. Granted this isn't a total fix all for output/vision, but it can help the output when you have full 12v at the headlight. And many times prolongs the life of your headlight/multi-function switches.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Something I haven't seen mentioned as far as helping, dunno if it pertains to the Jeep or not.... I have used relay harnesses on some of my older vehicles for the headlights. There has been a few I have seen as much as 4-5 volt drop at the headlight end. Not necessarily an issue with LED, but can help when upgrading with halogen. Granted this isn't a total fix all for output/vision, but it can help the output when you have full 12v at the headlight. And many times prolongs the life of your headlight/multi-function switches.

A relay harness won't do you any good when upgrading to LED headlights. However, if you're upgrading to a higher wattage halogen headlight (or even just the stock headlights), a relay harness will indeed provide benefit.

Reactions: etc1006 and StG58
My first upgrade when I bought my TJ was the KC H4 headlight replacements. When first installed I borrowed a headlight leveling kit, which after a year and a half I saw minimal difference in headlight coverage. It wasn't til recently I replaced the bulbs with the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs. With only minimal difference, I realized I had to just adjust the headlight to what coverage I needed to see the road clearly. I did this by finding the darkest parking lot and adjusting them, WOW what a difference. I should have done this a long time ago.
Not sure using the standard leveling technique is a great one.

Reactions: etc1006 and Chris
IMG_20170118_173659933.jpg
IMG_20170118_182531301.jpg

Reactions: Chris
A relay harness won't do you any good when upgrading to LED headlights. However, if you're upgrading to a higher wattage halogen headlight (or even just the stock headlights), a relay harness will indeed provide benefit.

On my LJ I went with a dedicated wiring harness, Cibie H4 housing units, & Osram 70/65W bulbs. On my daughter's LJ I went with the Trucklite Heated LED headlights (27275C). After having driven both setups quite a few times I've found that if it's pitch black with no surrounding lights (buildings, streetlights, cars, etc) I prefer the Trucklite setup. If there's a lot of ambient light then I prefer my setup. I still haven't decided I'm more happy with overall.

Reactions: etc1006
On my LJ I went with a dedicated wiring harness, Cibie H4 housing units, & Osram 70/65W bulbs. On my daughter's LJ I went with the Trucklite Heated LED headlights (27275C). After having driven both setups quite a few times I've found that if it's pitch black with no surrounding lights (buildings, streetlights, cars, etc) I prefer the Trucklite setup. If there's a lot of ambient light then I prefer my setup. I still haven't decided I'm more happy with overall.

Makes sense. When we go to the beach here most of the roads have no street lights at all. I've found that on completely dark roads the Truck Lites are simply amazing in terms of how well they light up the area.

Jeep has obviously learned from this. The brand new JKs now come from the factory with LED headlights.

Reactions: Len and etc1006

Very true. I just found a harness I had for a 93 Mustang that I hadn't used. Was going to change the ends for the 9007's in my Ranger. The headlight wiring was getting warm and tripping the circuit breaker in switch... I'll drop it in Lucy when I get a decent day. I bought a pack of relays and sockets off Amazon to build one for the Ranger. Don't need it now as it's going to goto my friend to run around on her farm prolly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is funny how different ambient lighting totally changes the characteristics of the light and how we see it. I had Lasic surgery a few years ago, I'm not real big on night driving now. Glare doesn't kill me like some folks I know, but I do notice a difference from when I had to wear glasses/contacts. And my dominant eye changed, I'm cross dominant now. Had to relearn how to shoot... And change some sights on my pistols. Rifle I can't shoot for a damn with my left eye... (And I'm not on getting nailed with hot brass, LOL) In process of doing scopes on them.

It is funny how different ambient lighting totally changes the characteristics of the light and how we see it. I had Lasic surgery a few years ago, I'm not real big on night driving now. Glare doesn't kill me like some folks I know, but I do notice a difference from when I had to wear glasses/contacts. And my dominant eye changed, I'm cross dominant now. Had to relearn how to shoot... And change some sights on my pistols. Rifle I can't shoot for a damn with my left eye... (And I'm not on getting nailed with hot brass, LOL) In process of doing scopes on them.

Are you happy with the Lasik results? I have an astigmatism in my right eye which makes driving at night a pain in the butt because of the bright lights and how they glare in my eye.

Reactions: Frank
Are you happy with the Lasik results? I have an astigmatism in my right eye which makes driving at night a pain in the butt because of the bright lights and how they glare in my eye.

I had bad astigmatism in right eye also. I am very happy with results! Got home took a nap and woke up and could see without glasses! Plus I can buy cool sunglasses now! LOL

Reactions: Badmunky and Chris
And that's why I've always been chicken to have Lasik. I figure as long as contacts can correct my eyesight it's good enough for me.

It really depend on how bad your eyes are to start. A buddy of mine literally had the "coke bottle" glasses. He got it and still has glasses, but nowhere near as bad as they were. There are some time I need to grab a pair of cheap magnifiers to read small print, like instructions on something. Normal reading I don't need them. The last time I got glasses, the doc said next round I'd prolly need bifocals, so that kinda sealed the deal for me. I'm due for my 5 year recheck this fall. I have lifetime adjustments. As Lina's you follow through with your scheduled follow ups for the six months after they will do the adjustments.

Yeah I think I am going to get the Lasik soon. My astigmatism isn't that bad, only at night, but I would rather not have to wear glasses if I don't have to.

Reactions: etc1006
I did a little experiment and swapped in a set of JK headlights and upgraded the bulbs with SYLVANIA H13 SilverStar zXe High Performance Halogen. Now, while I'll admit they probably don't compare to trucklites, however they are incredibly better than stock. They are a little brighter, but the light throw is 100 times better. Best thing is, I did it for $40.

Reactions: FF_Jeep and Chris
And that's why I've always been chicken to have Lasik. I figure as long as contacts can correct my eyesight it's good enough for me.

Same here. My MIL had it done and she's had problems for years driving at night. She can still do it but she has issues with glare and the halo effect from other drivers headlights.

Same here. My MIL had it done and she's had problems for years driving at night. She can still do it but she has issues with glare and the halo effect from other drivers headlights.

I have those same issues. It's annoying as hell.

I just ordered the Rugged Ridge 7" Crystal H2 Headlights from Amazon.ca. They had them on for equivalent to $60 USD, so I thought I'd give them a shot. They should be better than the stock ones, I hope!! :)
Let us know how much brighter they are (maybe do a side-by-side with one of the stock headlights).

I've always been curious!

Reactions: derekmac
I have been saving up to buy the Truck-lite LED's. Since I currently have KC fog lights, driving lights, and flood lights, I'm curious if I should replace them with LED's as well.

imagejpg2_zpsf3e75ce3.jpg

I know LED headlights would be a HUGE upgrade, but I'd hate to have to replace all the other lights for cosmetic purposes.

But it's only money, right? $$$