JKs: Things you dislike about them

Saw this one today at a Jeep show......kinda like the color scheme. Guy didn't skimp on the build either.
Saw a ton of TJ'S too and they definitely have that unprecedented appeal.
20170520_112359.jpg
20170520_112414.jpg

I don't have the time to list the things I don't like about JKs so I'll just say what I do like about them.... um, well.. ah, well they kinda sorta resemble a Jeep if the light hits them just right. Kind of like a mirage makes a dry desert gulch look like it's full of cool water that maddeningly disappoints as you get closer. :D

LOL.

I'd like to read about what you don't like about them, once you have the time!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Dealing with the Stealership for the most mundane of items. Seriously. It takes all day to replace a stinking KEY!? Wife lost a key and we only had two of them to start with, so it's a dealership only replacement. $150 give or take and all day at the dealership? Are they joking? (all three regional Jeep Dealers gave me the same experience, with minor variations)

Oh, and there is no "Service" at the dealership in that it is almost impossible to actually talk to a Service Rep, even once you get past the perky female on the reception desk. "We'll have one of our Professional Service Representatives call you back in the next business day or two." Grrrr! This thing better be worth it.

Oh, and service appointments are a week or more out.

Reactions: Chris
Dealing with the Stealership for the most mundane of items. Seriously. It takes all day to replace a stinking KEY!? Wife lost a key and we only had two of them to start with, so it's a dealership only replacement. $150 give or take and all day at the dealership? Are they joking? (all three regional Jeep Dealers gave me the same experience, with minor variations)

Oh, and there is no "Service" at the dealership in that it is almost impossible to actually talk to a Service Rep, even once you get past the perky female on the reception desk. "We'll have one of our Professional Service Representatives call you back in the next business day or two." Grrrr! This thing better be worth it.

Oh, and service appointments are a week or more out.

Maybe if you could just gut all the electronics from the JK... You know, so it sort of ends up like a TJ, just newer?

Maybe if you could just gut all the electronics from the JK... You know, so it sort of ends up like a TJ, just newer?
Don't tempt me that way @Chris. Seems silly to do that to a $30k ride though. Plus the whole stinkin' thing is electronically integrated, which means stripping it and starting from scratch. An LS conversion does have it's appeal though.

Reactions: MikeM
Don't tempt me that way @Chris. Seems silly to do that to a $30k ride though. Plus the whole stinkin' thing is electronically integrated, which means stripping it and starting from scratch. An LS conversion does have it's appeal though.

I have a love and hate relationship with electronics. We have a brand new Subaru Outback that we just purchased a month ago. It's got all the bells and whistles, fully loaded too. It's got some really cool features on it, all of which equate to lots of electronics.

I love driving it, but I would loathe the idea of working on it. Same with the JKs as well... Own one of those things if you don't mind taking it to the dealer for service. Just don't own one if you have the intention of doing everything on it yourself (like you would with a TJ).

Of course, it never hurts to have both!

Reactions: StG58 and MikeM
I haven't driven a JK so I can't really say if it applies to its driving but judging from looking at the interior they are trying too hard to make it into a car. I learned to drive manual on a seventies CJ-7. In that Jeep, you could leave the top off and not really care if it rains. It had no carpet, vinyl seats and the dash was a flat panel with sealed gauges. My mom's boyfriend would spray the interior with a hose when washing it, lol.

If I had a topless JK and saw thunderclouds rolling in, I think I'd panic hehe. Of course, even in my TJ I get leery about it. Too much carpet and fabric seats to absorb water and potentially get moldy. Sixteen year old Ken had no problem with vinyl seats but forty-two year old Ken likes to be comfortable heh. Just not leather seat / power everything JK level comfortable. I like a little bit of "unwieldy" in my trucks. The RCR guy said it well in his TJ review.. "this is the last Jeep that is truly unsafe, and at the same time, it's the last Jeep that's excited to see you. This is a top heavy Jeep. It will roll over if you are unkind to it. But if you are kind to it, it will please you" :)

Reactions: Travis
My only issue is that TJ owners do not like me because I own a JK LOL. I actually see both sides of this coin for example my 33 ford five window coup will never be replaced by my Honda Pilot but at my age the Pilot is comfortable and fun to drive also and more dependable.

Last edited:
Hey now... I like JK owners. I just don't like the JK owners who put 20 LED light bars / cubes on their JK, an angry bird grille, and then proceed to ruin the way it looks by making it look like some sort of monstrosity.

I have nothing against JK owners at all, not one bit!

Reactions: Blackout and MikeM
Hey now... I like JK owners. I just don't like the JK owners who put 20 LED light bars / cubes on their JK, an angry bird grille, and then proceed to ruin the way it looks by making it look like some sort of monstrosity.

Understood and I agree with you just adding some old time humor!

Understood and I agree with you just adding some old time humor!

Oh yeah, I totally get it.

Believe you me... If I had the money to go out and buy a brand new JKU Rubicon, I would do it in heart beat. As long as I could keep the TJ as well!

Reactions: MikeM
I have a love and hate relationship with electronics. We have a brand new Subaru Outback that we just purchased a month ago. It's got all the bells and whistles, fully loaded too. It's got some really cool features on it, all of which equate to lots of electronics.

I love driving it, but I would loathe the idea of working on it. Same with the JKs as well... Own one of those things if you don't mind taking it to the dealer for service. Just don't own one if you have the intention of doing everything on it yourself (like you would with a TJ).

Of course, it never hurts to have both!
Electronics are great, until they aren't. I try to avoid them if at all possible.

Oh, JKU picture :
7200.jpeg

The wife had a load of her friends out the other day in her JKU. Note the smiles. I guess it's worth it. Less than 12% of JK's came with half doors.

Also, she was riding around the other day with the top down, and another JK owner with a hard top and full doors flipped her off. I don't know what his problem was, but I bet it's hard to pronounce.

Electronics are great, until they aren't. I try to avoid them if at all possible.

Oh, JKU picture :View attachment 16281
The wife had a load of her friends out the other day in her JKU. Note the smiles. I guess it's worth it. Less than 12% of JK's came with half doors.

Also, she was riding around the other day with the top down, and another JK owner with a hard top and full doors flipped her off. I don't know what his problem was, but I bet it's hard to pronounce.
He was jealous!

Reactions: StG58
I hate that I didn't buy one in 2014 instead of our Dodge Journey. The Journey is exactly 3 years old and worth 1/2 of its cost new. Jeeps just don't depreciat. My next new vehicle will be a JK.

Ditto. I have no problem with someone wanting one or driving one. I'm not an "auto elitist", hehe. Even if I am not a fan, it's still a Jeep so it's at least in the family :)

Some of the mods people seem to like for them are cringe inducing, but it's not my truck so I don't castigate them for their horrid sense of automotive fashion (well... I do, but only in my head lol).

Reactions: StG58 and Chris

Oh, JKU picture :View attachment 16281

Haha, seriously? Wow, what an asshole!

Gotta love all that extra room in the back though, and those half doors!

Reactions: StG58
JKU's are a dime a dozen in the Hill Country area of TX. The problem is if I wave there's a good chance it's a woman who never sees a wave, lots of them are older. Only a few wave and fewer initiate. TJ's are comparatively rare. Most I've talked to don't know what they have. If you say, "nice TJ," they look at you funny. I crop all this up to it's a rich area. Heck, the guy who sold me my TJ only did so bc he bought a brand new 2017 JKU totally loaded, slate grey for $45k+ and his wife said, you have to get rid of something.

The few TJ's that are highly modded or trailered look at you like "who do you think you are?" I think they're in a club or something. Not too promising, other than possibly buying another stock TJ for cheap sometime.

JKU's are a dime a dozen in the Hill Country area of TX. The problem is if I wave there's a good chance it's a woman who never sees a wave, lots of them are older. Only a few wave and fewer initiate. TJ's are comparatively rare. Most I've talked to don't know what they have. If you say, "nice TJ," they look at you funny. I crop all this up to it's a rich area. Heck, the guy who sold me my TJ only did so bc he bought a brand new 2017 JKU totally loaded, slate grey for $45k+ and his wife said, you have to get rid of something.

The few TJ's that are highly modded or trailered look at you like "who do you think you are?" I think they're in a club or something. Not too promising, other than possibly buying another stock TJ for cheap sometime.

X2. The Austin area is crawling with JK's. I see a few YJ's and TJ's here and there. But nothing compares to how many JK's there are - the ones that are bone stock I never even waste my time waving at - but the modified ones, in my experience, wave about 2/3rds of the time and half of the time initiate the wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT