Colorado Krew Hangout

Howdy all,
The wife and I are taking a trip out to Denver from E TN in October in our RV, pulling a relatively stock '06 TJ. While we're out there I'd like to find a mild scenic off road trail/road to explore one day. Can you guys/gals recommend something relatively close to Denver?

Thanks,

Rob

Kingston peak is a very scenic trail. Can easily be done in a stock jeep. Goes well above treeline with some views of lakes, snow fields, and miles of wild terrain. And there are a few short hiking trails along the route as well if your interested in that

Reactions: Robnfl
Argentine Pass is a pretty good time and close-ish to town and is in a pretty classic mountain town (Georgetown), there’s a small section that’s moderate toward the top but its doable stock.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/203-argentine-pass
There’s also a ton up by Keystone and Breckenridge if you’re up for a little further.

Argentine is a fun trail. Not difficult, but spectacular views.

On a totally unrelated note--I put in my two weeks notice this morning. I am moving on to another consulting firm located in Boulder. My commute is going to be god awful, so the jeeps retirement may happen in the next month or so😬

what truck are you going to get!?

I dont have one in mind at the moment...

My few trips up there for interviews used a little over a 1/4 tank of gas in the TJ. About an hour each way too. Plus, I will need something to travel in for the work hauling equipment. I did have my eye on an F150 Ecoboost but it sold quick, it was on the lot for maybe 2 days

I’d get something to roll coal, just because of boulder ;).

mostly kidding, I really like the Ford lineup. On our old hill in the mountains they were the trucks that seemed to hold up the best and had the longest lasting fit and finish inside, of course I’m sure there’s a dozen different areas with similar experiences on different brands.

• Haha
Reactions: tworley
Kingston peak is a very scenic trail. Can easily be done in a stock jeep. Goes well above treeline with some views of lakes, snow fields, and miles of wild terrain. And there are a few short hiking trails along the route as well if your interested in that
Argentine Pass is a pretty good time and close-ish to town and is in a pretty classic mountain town (Georgetown), there’s a small section that’s moderate toward the top but its doable stock.
There’s also a ton up by Keystone and Breckenridge if you’re up for a little further.
Argentine is a fun trail. Not difficult, but spectacular views.

Thanks guys for the info. That Trailsoffroad.com looks like a good resource for finding trails.

Thanks guys for the info. That Trailsoffroad.com looks like a good resource for finding trails.

Another good one during that time may be Twin Cone which is just up Hwy 285 on Kenosha Pass. Also not difficult, but the entire trail is covered in Aspens. October may be pure yellow. They closed off the upper half of the trail for wildlife, but I think the lower half is still worthwhile.

Is the April Phools run organized here or JF? It may be too early, but a few buddies wanted to see our shenanigans.

Doug over on WF puts April Phools together. It's been pretty quiet over there. March is usually when we start talking about it.

April 1st is on a Wednesday this year, so it may fall on March 28th or April 4th. Assuming the 4th.

Reactions: rasband and jjvw
APRIL PHOOLS 4/4/2020

@Colo-TJ made the official announcement on the other forum (Chad, hope you don't mind me spreading the word here).

As usual meet up will be at the Gunsmoke Truck Stop 9 AM and leave by 10 AM.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gu...4d-106.1068388

The harder run is Chinamans Gulch. Requirements are as follows (just like in October), TJ, YJ, CJ or other short wheelbase will need a minimum of a 33" tire and ZJ, XJ, JK, JL or other longer rigs need 35" tire minimum. At least 1 locker is recommended. Body armor, rock sliders, and any under body protection (raised skids really help!) is also recommended. Sway bar disconnects are also required or something similar. This trail is getting harder so what you might see in previous post or other sites may not be up to date.

Rookies are welcome but you MUST listen to your spotters as they will know the trail the best. If there is something you want to try, we'll spot you thru it. Anyone spotting won't put you in a situation where you are not comfortable. We have a good group of folks, so prepare yourself for some light ribbing as well.

There is usually a group that runs the milder trails in the 4 mile area, I am not sure what these trails include but typically there is a seasoned veteran that leads it. Once I figure out who that is I can post the info here too.

These are all day trips. Bring food, water, plenty of clothes for any type of weather. Bring your tool kits, first aid kits, good shoes. Be prepared for anything. Make sure your rig is up to par--an issue on the trail can make the long day longer. Expect some level of damage. Things can happen, and we'll be there to help you, but please make sure everything is ready on your rig (control arm mounts, shafts, ujoints, etc..) and bring tools!

Last edited:
Anyone up for raising shock mounts before April 4th?:)

I also need to finish my antenna tuning and wiring, and swap in the new pressure switch on my ARB compressor.