LED vs Halogen Headlight

It's probably Alaska, or somewhere on the upper East Coast. It's definitely nowhere on the West Coast, that's for sure.

I think if it was that big of an issue, more companies would make heated LED headlights.

A tech from KC Hilites told me the reason why they don’t have a heated LED is because of a copyright. They were hoping to work around that.

So that makes me wonder if Truck-Lite had a copyright on their headlight.

A tech from KC Hilites told me the reason why they don’t have a heated LED is because of a copyright. They were hoping to work around that.

So that makes me wonder if Truck-Lite had a copyright on their headlight.

Hmmm, that's interesting. But no copyright will stop the Chinese from doing it, so that's a little odd that the Chinese haven't made some heated knock-offs at least.

Reactions: darkangel07760
I put a set of Hella Eurospec headlights in mine. They work just fine for my needs. I can get replacement bulbs just about anyplace. LED's are overkill for what my usage is.

That's what I went with as well. I did, however install 55/100w bulbs. Very bright and I love the light pattern, and I never get flashed for blinding people.

Reactions: ac_
Or you can get these for less than half the cost:
Truck-Lite (27270C) LED Headlights (Chinese Knockoff Version)

For a good read on how these things perform, check this thread out: Replaced Headlights w/Truck-Lite Knockoffs

Just saying... save yourself some money IMHO.
Or you can get these for less than half the cost:
Truck-Lite (27270C) LED Headlights (Chinese Knockoff Version)

For a good read on how these things perform, check this thread out: Replaced Headlights w/Truck-Lite Knockoffs

Just saying... save yourself some money IMHO.
Just read the thread. Buying these right now. Thank you so much for saving me $200!!!

Reactions: Chris
well again eating crow here.....I have since the last post, sold the trucklite lamps and I am now running JW Speaker LED (gen 1). Yes I still think they look weird BUT the lumination is impeccable.

here they are on my jeep

sahara hood.JPG

LED headlights are to me what the "butt crack" is to you from the body lifts. In my opinion, they have no aesthetic value, though I'm sure they work well. But as with everything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Having said that, I gotta say, Chris, your latest acquisition is a beaut! But close the hood before taking a pic, next time. It looks like a displaced body lift with that gap going on... :D

OK, "butt crack" is a new Jeep phrase to me, what does it mean?

Reactions: Thunderhead
Got the headlights you folks recommended and WOW what a difference! I feel alot better knowing I can see where I am going!
View attachment 67453

Yep, the LEDs are the way to go. Bought mine with them already in and I love them. One small problem though, unless you got the heated ones they don't melt snow off. So if you are driving in a snow storm they will eventually cover up. Saw a pick of a guy with this problem.

Yep, the LEDs are the way to go. Bought mine with them already in and I love them. One small problem though, unless you got the heated ones they don't melt snow off. So if you are driving in a snow storm they will eventually cover up. Saw a pick of a guy with this problem.

I have the unheated ones and never had a problem. Normal headlights don't get hot enough to " melt snow " either and I have had those get covered up ... don't know the purpose of heated except to cost more.

Being the contrarian that I am, I have to add my two cents. :wave1:

In my humble opinion LED headlights put out a lot of light but it isn't the best light in terms of color temperature or pattern.

My preference for a jeep with 7" round headlights is H4 halogen bulbs in E-Code housings. The color temperature of the H4 light is easier on the eyes for both the driver and oncoming traffic than LED headlights which are much closer to the blue end of the light spectrum. The light pattern with E-Code housings has a defined cutoff that does not force oncoming traffic to squint and puts plenty of light where it needs to be for the driver.

I am using Hella P/N 02.395-031 178mm (7") E-Code headlight housings and Philips X-treme Vision +130 60/55W H4 bulbs. No changes to the factory wiring were necessary. They replaced Wagner Britelites that appeared to be the original headlight bulbs installed in 2006. Total cost from Amazon Prime was $91.12 in November, 2018.

From a recent exchange on Jeep Forum Dot Com:

Originally Posted by RDBills
I know the subject of this thread is LED headlights, but for less than the price of the Truck Lite knockoffs on Amazon one can buy Hella E-Code housings and H4 halogen bulbs which put out substantial light with a good beam pattern at a color temperature that is easier on the eyes of both the driver and oncoming traffic.

Originally Posted by jjvw
^^^ If I have one complaint about my TruckLites, it's the color of the light. Warmer light is easier for the human eye to see. The cold light that the vast majority of the new LEDs emit might look good, but they are harder on our eyes.

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
X2, definitely. Pure white is hard enough our eyes but those that have a bluish tint are much harder/produce more glare on both our eyes and the eyes of oncoming drivers. I made sure my LED color temp was as close as possible to 5k and not much higher.
Headlight Color Temps.JPG

Originally Posted by Easy_B
Agree. My Quadratec LED headlights are 5800k and I do wish they were a little more towards the 5000k area. . . .

From https://www.********forum.com/f282/b...l#post34052985 [Replace ******** with wrangler]

[H]ere are color temperatures for various bulbs, average daylight, and average incandescent interior lighting:

"Trucklite Knockoff" LED headlamps on Amazon - 5600K
PIAA Xtreme White Plus H4 (shown above) - 4000K
Philips X-treme Vision +130 H4 - 3700K
Hella Long Life 60/55W H4 (standard Halogen bulb) - 3200K
Wagner Britelite 60/55W sealed beam (OEM) - 3200K (Halogen bulb inside sealed housing)

Daylight - 4500-6200K
Incandescent Interior Household Lighting - 2800-3400K

There you have it.

Last edited:
I have the unheated ones and never had a problem. Normal headlights don't get hot enough to " melt snow " either and I have had those get covered up ... don't know the purpose of heated except to cost more.
Same here. I can think of two times driving in blizzard conditions with my unheated TruckLites where the snow and ice nearly fully encased the front of the Jeep. The LEDs had melted away nearly an inch of built up ice.

I replaced my stock lights with the Sylvania ones that are supposed to be "25%" brighter. Didn't seem like a big improvement. Than I got European Hella H4 housings with H4 bulbs - didn't seem much brighter but the pattern seemed better. They I put some cheap HID bulbs in - they were a little brighter and a little bluer but still didn't seem bright enough. Then I bought a set of ProComp LED and have been very happy with the result. MUCH brighter than anything I had previously tried with a sharp cutoff to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. I'm sure the JW Speaker lights are better, but for 1/2 the price with a lifetime warranty, I'm satisfied with the ProComps.

Reactions: RussTJ