License Plate Relocation Idea

Tigger09

TJ Enthusiast
I'm thinking about deleting my spare and relocating the license plate and of course the license plate light wire is a minor issue. Here is the path I'm on so far to address it. My question, for anyone that has done this already, is there value in custom door jamb contacts to support the brake light and license plate or is a wire "good enough"? Are there any other options today other than running the wires from the tub to the tailgate?

Jeep_Brake.jpg
Jeep_Brake2.jpg

Reactions: L J
If I were going to do that I would probably keep the factory wiring, flush the gate and French in the plate, plate light and 3rd break light. I don’t have any pics but it’s we used to do on mini trucks( I know, they suck) back in the 90’s. Only thing I would change is it wouldn’t be crooked, it’d be centered

I’ve seen some nice ones with the license plate centered on the rear tailgate with armor. I’d like to put mine in the center, but right now it’s wrapped on the side. Can’t say enough good about the spare delete.

7198A297-67F0-4895-964C-C23F5B22FCF0.jpeg

4218EE15-FB2D-4440-B79D-EAB84979C3D6.jpeg

No onboard spare. I carry a tire plug kit and a valve replacement/install tool.

EDIT: I also carry a Viair 88P.
I've considered this. However, in the last 5 years I've had two punctured sidewalls while on the trail. Interestingly, both of them were with BFG KO2 tires. I've switched to MTZs, but I'm still not brave enough to try it. It sure would be nice to lose the 100 lbs hanging on the back though.

Maybe this year I'll try this and leave the spare with the truck and trailer. I'm usually close enough that I could always go back out and get it, with a ride, if needed!

I'm thinking about deleting my spare and relocating the license plate and of course the license plate light wire is a minor issue. Here is the path I'm on so far to address it. My question, for anyone that has done this already, is there value in custom door jamb contacts to support the brake light and license plate or is a wire "good enough"? Are there any other options today other than running the wires from the tub to the tailgate?

View attachment 239310View attachment 239312
We wire up the little lights for spare mounted plates quite a bit. We use the two factory contacts as hots for 3rd brake light and license plate light. We pick up the ground through the hinge by grounding to the gate. Hasn't not worked yet. Much easier than adapting that Dakota Digital stuff in there.

I've considered this. However, in the last 5 years I've had two punctured sidewalls while on the trail. Interestingly, both of them were with BFG KO2 tires. I've switched to MTZs, but I'm still not brave enough to try it. It sure would be nice to lose the 100 lbs hanging on the back though.

Maybe this year I'll try this and leave the spare with the truck and trailer. I'm usually close enough that I could always go back out and get it, with a ride, if needed!
I do think this decision has to be made relative to where you wheel and past experience. I haven’t had any flats in over 4 years of wheelin. I would not have been comfortable if I had multiple sidewall issues. I’m also usually 5 minutes from my house.

Reactions: Tob and ARawls88
I do think this decision has to be made relative to where you wheel and past experience. I haven’t had any flats in over 4 years of wheelin. I would not have been comfortable if I had multiple sidewall issues. I’m also usually 5 minutes from my house.
We wheeled sans spare on the trails in JV for many years. That is until I told a guy that we did and had done that. About 15 minutes into the furthest trail from camp, he sliced a sidewall so I had to run back to camp to get his spare. That also meant I had to run the whole trail to get there and then come back around to the head of the trail. After that little fiasco and them managing to hole another of his tires trying to get it jacked up to take off the first one, I no longer entertain those conversations. Don't wanna run a spare? No problem but I am not your tire monkey.

We wheeled sans spare on the trails in JV for many years. That is until I told a guy that we did and had done that. About 15 minutes into the furthest trail from camp, he sliced a sidewall so I had to run back to camp to get his spare. That also meant I had to run the whole trail to get there and then come back around to the head of the trail. After that little fiasco and them managing to hole another of his tires trying to get it jacked up to take off the first one, I no longer entertain those conversations. Don't wanna run a spare? No problem but I am not your tire monkey.
This is exactly why I haven't done it to date. I've helped fix enough "stupid" on the trail, that I'd prefer not to be the cause of it!

Reactions: Tob
@MeanGreen86 Do you have a link to that amazon one?

I go back and forth about removing the spare for this exact reason pictured. Do I remove the spare and gain a few valuable inches in overall length to fit into a smaller spot? Or, do I save some body damage from A-holes that park this close by keeping it? NYC parking problems most of you wouldn't understand but I switched from a big ass Yukon Denali to a Wrangler so I can find parking in a fraction of the time. Not the primary reason but it was a factor.

Parking Close.JPG

@MeanGreen86 Do you have a link to that amazon one?

I go back and forth about removing the spare for this exact reason pictured. Do I remove the spare and gain a few valuable inches in overall length to fit into a smaller spot? Or, do I save some body damage from A-holes that park this close by keeping it? NYC parking problems most of you wouldn't understand but I switched from a big ass Yukon Denali to a Wrangler so I can find parking in a fraction of the time. Not the primary reason but it was a factor.

View attachment 239545
You'll get body damage with a bowed in tail gate when they hit that....

But no spare = bad day, some day

So do you run all JV with a spare 40 on back or do you have a tire monkey? I am really enjoying wheeling sans spare, my departure angle is already so bad. Good thing is our local ORV parks have trails that all loop back to the parking lot so its not a big deal to go get one most of the time.

I’ve seen some nice ones with the license plate centered on the rear tailgate with armor. I’d like to put mine in the center, but right now it’s wrapped on the side. Can’t say enough good about the spare delete.

View attachment 239464

View attachment 239465
Where are you going to put the "Coms" antenna?

Looks clean. I like it.