License Plate Relocation Idea

We wheeled sans spare on the trails in JV for many years. That is until I told a guy that we did and had done that. About 15 minutes into the furthest trail from camp, he sliced a sidewall so I had to run back to camp to get his spare. That also meant I had to run the whole trail to get there and then come back around to the head of the trail. After that little fiasco and them managing to hole another of his tires trying to get it jacked up to take off the first one, I no longer entertain those conversations. Don't wanna run a spare? No problem but I am not your tire monkey.
For a moment I thought you were referring to me when I sliced my sidewall open on Sledgehammer. Fortunately 20-30 tire plugs allowed me to plug the slice well enough to hold enough air make it the rest of the way.

After two such events on the trail with catastrophic sidewall damage I won't run without a spare either. Fortunately I was carrying a spare the last time it happened in Arizona on Hard Ass.

flattire.jpe

Tire Slashed.jpg

For a moment I thought you were referring to me when I sliced my sidewall open on Sledgehammer. Fortunately 20-30 tire plugs allowed me to plug the slice well enough to hold enough air make it the rest of the way.

After two such events on the trail with catastrophic sidewall damage I won't run without a spare either. Fortunately I was carrying a spare the last time it happened in Arizona on Hard Ass.

View attachment 239586

View attachment 239595
No, it wasn't you and the cut in his BFG sidewall made that one in your MTR look like a mere flesh wound. It went from tread to rim like you took a chainsaw to it.

So do you run all JV with a spare 40 on back or do you have a tire monkey? I am really enjoying wheeling sans spare, my departure angle is already so bad. Good thing is our local ORV parks have trails that all loop back to the parking lot so its not a big deal to go get one most of the time.
My spare stays in camp on the trailer with a discussion ahead of time that someone will play tire monkey if needed.

We wire up the little lights for spare mounted plates quite a bit. We use the two factory contacts as hots for 3rd brake light and license plate light. We pick up the ground through the hinge by grounding to the gate. Hasn't not worked yet. Much easier than adapting that Dakota Digital stuff in there.
I like that idea better. The Dakota Digital stuff worked great on the door but I was still banging my head on the best way to do it on the tub. I didn't want to cut the tub to get the middle contact to fit.

@MeanGreen86 Do you have a link to that amazon one?

I go back and forth about removing the spare for this exact reason pictured. Do I remove the spare and gain a few valuable inches in overall length to fit into a smaller spot? Or, do I save some body damage from A-holes that park this close by keeping it? NYC parking problems most of you wouldn't understand but I switched from a big ass Yukon Denali to a Wrangler so I can find parking in a fraction of the time. Not the primary reason but it was a factor.

View attachment 239545

I would leave it there. What makes you think they would not get closer with the spare removed, its NY :LOL:

@JMT what plate holder is that one? been looking for something like that for a while. Its more of a cleaner look than to just bend the license plate.

I would leave it there. What makes you think they would not get closer with the spare removed, its NY :LOL:

@JMT what plate holder is that one? been looking for something like that for a while. Its more of a cleaner look than to just bend the license plate.
I got the license plate bracket from @Alex01. I’d send the link to the item, but my iPad Amazon app doesn’t have that option, but this is the name on Amazon,

Warrior Products 1560 Side Mount License Plate Bracket for Jeep TJ, black​

Reactions: Jramos013
Now that I added the hitch cargo basket (moving soon), the spare is staying on for now. The cargo basket was a gift but not what I would have bought. It annoys me so much that I don't have use of the tailgate or rear window, I need like 1/2" more of clearance from the bottom of the spare to the top rail of the rack. It would clear with stock tires but not a 31".

I'm tempted by that Warrior license plate bracket.

Reactions: JMT
I got the license plate bracket from @Alex01. I’d send the link to the item, but my iPad Amazon app doesn’t have that option, but this is the name on Amazon,

Warrior Products 1560 Side Mount License Plate Bracket for Jeep TJ, black​

I have it on my TJ and installed one on my ex's CJ as I liked the design and that it has a light.

I like it better than the centered mounted plates but that is just me and my opinion.

Finally found a picture.

1618002797698.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
I’ve seen some nice ones with the license plate centered on the rear tailgate with armor. I’d like to put mine in the center, but right now it’s wrapped on the side. Can’t say enough good about the spare delete.

View attachment 239464

View attachment 239465
Man this is clean.
I went with the delete to and threw a couple rotopax storage boxes on there. But I'm thinking twice looking at these pics

PXL_20210405_133747103~2.jpg

I have it on my TJ and installed one on my ex's CJ as I liked the design and that it has a light.

I like it better than the centered mounted plates but that is just me and my opinion.

Finally found a picture.

View attachment 242313
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JATSNM/?tag=wranglerorg-20
This is what I'm coming up with from amazon. Supposedly this one doesnt have the light except one of the picture in the reviews shows it with the light. Any idea what the deal is or should I just order and see?