Lifted trucks for street use: Why?

This thread (well, one guy in this thread) is giving Chicago a bad name. We aren’t all like this!

People can do whatever they want with their vehicles as long as they are safe. I’m sure people think I’m an idiot driving around the suburbs of Chicago with my TJ on 35’s. I don’t like a lot of vehicles I see on the road, but I’m sure the guy driving it doesn’t care. He probably likes it a lot.

I'm going to throw in a different perspective here. One of the most underrated benefits, (and personally one of the reasons i liked my previous lifted pickup), is that it's actually alot easier and more efficent to make repairs on the ground with the extra room a lift kit gives you. My previous truck had a 6" lift kit and had a ton of issues that weren't even suspension related, and at the time i had no access to a 2 post lift, and i sure couldn't afford to nor had the want to pay a shop to do the work for me. It made fuel pump changes, driveshaft removal and the transmission removal very much easier, and in the end the truck being lifted saved me a ton of headache and many many hours laying on the ground working on things i couldnt reach because i had no room. Food for thought.

A guy from the 3rd largest city in the nation telling a guy born and raised in Maine to enjoy my payment princess. Too funny!!

AE269351-E5FD-47A6-95D9-06998893A927.jpeg
5BCC7932-6760-42E4-B9EA-A80F88AD4D0B.jpeg
4956F38E-F4D1-415A-8278-E7D0801E2468.jpeg
46DFAB34-9E5D-4A02-B57E-23CAA324E436.jpg
357B4D2F-93BA-4397-A769-308C1F3FA9AC.jpeg
F5FB3A56-F954-4832-9D2C-BDBB9B3DDBCE.jpeg

0375DE79-42BA-4329-9074-652514A2F6AE.jpeg

Lol, the road I live on isn’t even paved and I own a camp in the Maine North Woods that is a 2.5 hour drive AFTER you hit the dirt logging roads.

I don't think this how replying is supposed to be done but it seems OK in this instance.

Look how much fun I'm having rewriting what others have posted when replying to it so everyone knows my opinion about that. I also love referring to those I'm replying to with various different words like Francis, McFlexpot, and douche. Sometimes I enjoy making longer words like doucher and use them twice. Sometimes I'll even talk about putting the douchiest of the doucher douches on my ignore list because I'm sure other douchelike members will be able to tell who I add to it. I'd also like to mention their inability to resist the same thing I've failed to resist -> commenting.
😭

Wow! My very childish side thinks that was pretty fun. Who would have known?

I mean. Is it practical? No. But it does look pretty good.
Did it cost tons of money to do? Probably.

Who am I to judge how other people spend their money. It doesn't directly affect me.

Welcome to America.

IMG_20200510_123209_MP.jpg

IMG_20200510_123202_MP.jpg

I mean. Is it practical? No. But it does look pretty good.
Did it cost tons of money to do? Probably.

Who am I to judge how other people spend their money. It doesn't directly affect me.

Welcome to America.

View attachment 160110

View attachment 160122
I enjoy parking the Jeep next to trucks like that. They may be bigger and taller but our tires are the same height.

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
If I'm going to criticize, it's going to mostly come from a position of form following function. I don't understand what function most of these lifted trucks are supposed to accomplish. The same is true of any interest where the aesthetic mimics some vague idea of function but fails to actually do that. Tacti-cool is thankfully on the down swing, but is an example of this.

I'm not sure where low riders, donks, stanced, etc fall into this. Except that the intent behind those involves some amount of humor and parody through the obvious disfunction. I don't see that sentiment with a gigantic skateboard diesel with a big drop hitch blasting down the highway pulling a huge camper trailer. That guy probably isn't poking fun at himself through the spectacle he created.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3