LJ Rock Sliders

Looking for rock slider recomendations for my 2005 LJ that don't attach to the body mounts. Like the Savvy but are unavailable.

Just out of curiosity why don’t you want them attached to body mounts?

Just out of curiosity why don’t you want them attached to body mounts?

On my TJ had to trim body mount bushings to compensate for the metal thickness. The LJ I just purchased I want to avoid that headache, plus with the body lift on it it reduce any stress to the body mounts.

Reactions: JMT
On my TJ had to trim body mount bushings to compensate for the metal thickness. The LJ I just purchased I want to avoid that headache, plus with the body lift on it it reduce any stress to the body mounts.

I get what you’re saying a little bit but having them attached to body mounts is a lot sturdier….I have a body lift too and didn’t have to trim anything ….if anything the steel plate in there increases strength…I just installed a pair of smittybilt xrc’s they work fine

What do you mean?

I mean that your understanding (and therefore your conclusion above) is incorrect. Smittybilt sliders and the rest of them designed similarly are junk.

Understand how the body mounts work. Understand how those three mounts under the doors sit in dimples on the underside of the tub and how they are very purposefully designed to compress a specific amount to carry the weight of the tub, while also unitizing the body and frame. Understand what the torque boxes are for. It will quickly become clear why why it is dumb to sandwich a slider between the body mounts and tub.

Good sliders have many bolts going into the body and torque boxes and leave the body mounts to do their job. Here is a good slider. This thread has some good photos. There are many threads on frame mounted vs tub mounted, spend some time reading and thinking. If you want the final cliff notes, read this post written by someone that truly understands this stuff.

1693808762888.png

Last edited:
I mean that your understanding (and therefore your conclusion above) is incorrect. Smittybilt sliders and the rest of them designed similarly are junk.

Understand how the body mounts work. Understand how those three mounts under the doors sit in dimples on the underside of the tub and how they are very purposefully designed to compress a specific amount to carry the weight of the tub, while also unitizing the body and frame. Understand what the torque boxes are for. It will quickly become clear why why it is dumb to sandwich a slider between the body mounts and tub.

Good sliders have many bolts going into the body and torque boxes and leave the body mounts to do their job. Here is a good slider. This thread has some good photos. There are many threads on frame mounted vs tub mounted, spend some time reading and thinking. If you want the final cliff notes, read this post written by someone that truly understands this stuff.

View attachment 454994

Nice write up but I’m still a believer in. In being tucked in underneath

• Dislike
  • Face Palm
Reactions: jjvw and psrivats
I need to find an option for my dads Jeep. Savvy is forever out of stock and don’t want to go the boat side route. Been looking for a bit.
I waited for a year and a half for savvy and they never became available. Genright is the next best thing in my eyes, and if you dont want to do the miniboats they have regular rock gaurds.

Last edited:
Reactions: minimull
I need to find an option for my dads Jeep. Savvy is forever out of stock and don’t want to go the boat side route. Been looking for a bit.

If you can live with the compromises and it gets you out wheeling, the miniboatsides are a very worthy option.

I do think that their “regular” sliders are stupid.