Locker recommendations for TJ?

The fat harness does not need to run into the cabin. Only one single write runs into the cabin to the switch.
Man this is turning out to be the "Chevy Ford" debate.

Honestly like i said before, I haven't ran the wires yet, but regardless of it going through the firewall or not still I think the air lines are much easier to route.

So far my opinion is based on my experience. I had front and rear ARB's in my YJ and I had a ARB compressor. I did all of the work myself and it was phenomenal. I decided on this build to try the elocker. I am only pointing out what I see. Also as a little background I worked at a Toyota dealership as a drivability/electric technician, so I am not afraid of the wiring. I am just stating so far based on what I see at the point of where I am in my build that the ARB looks much easier. Either way I guess, if you feel more comfortable with the wiring do that. I don't think either is bad or good or better, I merely am just stating differences as I seem them.

Use whatever makes you more comfortable. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I surely didn't mean to start a debate.

Not to fuel the fire anymore. I have no experience with an ox locker. I don't know if they are good or bad in reality. but the reason why I didn't consider it was I didn't want to mess with routing the actuator cable. Although I have never done it, and maybe it is simpler than I expect it to be, I don't want to mess with it personally. That doesn't mean it is a bad system, it just means it is not for me. I hope that makes sense. If anybody puts an ox locker in and figures out a fool proof way of installing the actuators, more power too you. I will wheel with you no matter what locker or no locker you pick. I will even wheel with you, if you have a Ford or a Chevy! That is just who I am1

I wasn't trying to debate, just stating that while the harness did look huge and a pain, it was actually quite simple. I was glad to only run 1 wire into the cab
Well OK then, hehe!

This reply wasn't just pointed at you; it was really for everybody that reads this thread.

OK this is a two fold question here. I have and am learning a lot here listening to you all and doing research. From what I can tell ARB Lockers are probably in my view the best way to go. They do cost more I am looking at compressors, they look to be 200-400. Price wise the next best thing is an Eaton E-locker. For me they seem to be an easier method to install and maintain? I may still go ARB but price has me going towards Eaton E-lockers. Question 1) Shop I bought my jeep from recently put the dana 44 in the rear for me to make the sale along with the disk brakes. When I go to buy a locker do I just get one for a Dana 44 and not worry? Or is there more info I need to know about my rear end? Question 2) When I buy gears do I just buy for the Dana 44? and can I go with 4.56? or should I do 4.88? I have an automatic 4 speed. There is some off roading done but not a lot. Thank you

Yes, buy a Dana 44 locker. It will need to be for the correct gear ratio, which in your case is 3.92 and lower. Gearing depends on on tire size. For 33's 5.13 is the way to go. You also need to re-gear the front as well, in case you were unaware.

Yes, buy a Dana 44 locker. It will need to be for the correct gear ratio, which in your case is 3.92 and lower. Gearing depends on on tire size. For 33's 5.13 is the way to go. You also need to re-gear the front as well, in case you were unaware.
Yes thanks, I did know I had to change both front and rear. 5.13's put me in a higher RPM on freeways how much more anyone know? I am afraid to get to high of a gear also, no?

With the ARB do you need something like a small tank with check valve that can stay presurized while the lockers are being activated? With ARB do you have to wait on the system to pressurize before it locks?

OP, I'm curious, whats the intended uae of this rig? Dailey driver?Trails? Rocks? There's alot of recommendations but we don't know what you want to use it for.

Reactions: Xposure
I just installed the e locker, during testing I it didn't unlock between turning the wheels forward then backward
Two YouTube videos I watched mentioned it. Roll back about half a turn. The locker will unlock and then relock. Move forward again and the same thing happens. One even showed the cam mechanism and why it happens.

Reactions: Xposure
With the ARB do you need something like a small tank with check valve that can stay presurized while the lockers are being activated? With ARB do you have to wait on the system to pressurize before it locks?
The ARB setups I've seen take a few seconds to pressurize. It wasn't long. I don't think there was a tank. I imagine a small precharged tank would speed things up a bit. But only if it was already full. Otherwise, you you have to fill the tank along with the locker.

Once pressurized, there needs to be a bit of wheel rotation to get the locker to mesh. All lockers, once activated, are like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
View attachment 53103
The ARB setups I've seen take a few seconds to pressurize. It wasn't long. I don't think there was a tank. I imagine a small tank would speed things up a bit.

Once pressurized, there needs to be a bit of wheel rotation to get the locker to mesh. All lockers, once activated, are like this.
You can always get the attachment to have spare air with ARB. So if you plan on adding on board air anyway. This would eliminate the need for a compressor for onboard air. Or the need to carry a air compressor for after you air down.
So you spend a few more dollars on one save a few on the other.

Im not saying that it will work out in your favor but it will save some work.

http://store.arbusa.com/TIRE-INFLATION-KIT-FOR-ARB-AIR-COMPRESSORS-171302-P21322C9.aspx

Reactions: Liberated
Yes thanks, I did know I had to change both front and rear. 5.13's put me in a higher RPM on freeways how much more anyone know? I am afraid to get to high of a gear also, no?
The od gear is very high, you'll have no issues on the hwy with 5.13's and 33's. You can go to the Grimm Jeeper site and see all the numbers. You want your final drive, 4th, in the 2600-2800 rpm range at the usual hwy speeds you encounter.

Reactions: Jerry Little

No, and no. A button on your dash instantaneously activates a small compressor mounted under the hood & you're locked, shut if off & you're unlocked just as fast. The compressor doubles as air for anything else you can use air for, though I'd use that only in a pinch given its primary function. I have a tire repair kit & the air hose attachment in my tool box. For anyone that wheels but cites the extra cost associated with the ARB needing a compressor as a negative I have to wonder, are you seriously wheeling without access to air? I'm sure many e-locker guys also have onboard air somewhere so to me that's a wash.

I have no opinion one way or another about e-lockers, never used them, but I'd think twice about making a close judgment call based on nothing more than this perceived need for an expensive superfluous part...

Can the ARB lockers be adapted to work with pretty much any quality compressor with enough cfm to air up the tires fairly quick? Something like a Viair 400 series?