Locker recommendations for TJ?

I am ok with synthetic wenches. They resist gravity better over time. Just make sure you align them properly at install.

I currently have an OEM wench imported from Germany.. but assembled in Texas... installed on my front bumper.

Don't be afraid. If you can remove a tire and a brake caliper plus four more bolts, then you can solve this mystery. You'll need to bring in a 5 year old to count the splines. ;)
yes i hate to take axles out because they seem to find ways to start leaks then even when careful and you use grease to put back in

Reactions: jjvw
So if a shop put in my dana 44 as a used rear end would I have a 30 spline or a 35 spline or would it be unknown with out taking it apart?
Probably a 30 spline. It’s easy to remove a shaft. Takes about 15 minutes for mine with disc brakes.

If you had 33/35 spline axles you'd have a locker already. There are no 33/35 spline open carrriers/spiders.
Interesting. I dont know if it dont have an auto locker or not or some traction device. I could jack up rear and spin a tire to see if other side spins same direction or not. Sometimes driving it seems like there might be something there. Jeep is only three weeks new to me. I put lift, bumpers etc on or had it done. But interesting to know

When you accelerate around a tight corner, do you notice anything odd?

When you accelerate around a tight corner, do you notice anything odd?
Ya that's when I notice something as if both wheels are fighting for position sometimes. Maybe I am off but over and over I feel it's there but need to jack it up to be sure

I have one of the early model ARB air lockers

Approaching 20 years of service in my 4.0L Dana 44. I got it cheap because it was to suit 3.73 and down - 3.55 3.07 - so no one wanted it.
Eventually a Thick 4.10 became available so I installed that and it's been the most reliable thing attached to my TJ.
I don't use it much, until I get stuck and then I flick a switch and never need the winch. It makes four wheeling more enjoyable. ARB make the air locker about 20 miles from where I live and I love them. When installed, operated and maintained properly they are incredibly tough and reliable, however...

...if you want that same reliability in an air compressor? Get the single standard ARB High Output Compressor
ckma12_web.jpg

Don't bother with this duel setup pictured below, it might be quicker but half as reliable when compared to the standard model above, it stands to reason that two compressores are twice as likely to fail.
J101465?$prodpg640x480$.jpg

Most air compressors I've used are not very reliable, particularly in hot dusty environments like the land down under, I've killed a few compressors - yes even an early model ARB - and suffered the long slow trip to the gas station once too often, heat & dust kill compressors, the new ARB High Output Compressor has been designed with this in mind and why it's known down here as the bees knees.
It's compacted, fast enough to inflate a set of 33"s and easy to service.

HOT TIP: On a hot day dribble a little water over it when blowing up tires to help keep it from overheating, as especially if it's mounted under the hood and don't try touching it, they get hot, really friggin hot!

Another vote for ARB. Plenty of info in this thread so I wont add more to it:) My only negative, and its very minor, is that it takes somewhere between 5-8 seconds for the compressor to build pressure. When on the trail I tend to wait for the person in front me of me to clear the obstacle and right before he does Ill engage the locker(s)

20160806_110304.jpg

Another vote for ARB. Plenty of info in this thread so I wont add more to it:) My only negative, and its very minor, is that it takes somewhere between 5-8 seconds for the compressor to build pressure. When on the trail I tend to wait for the person in front me of me to clear the obstacle and right before he does Ill engage the locker(s)

that's weird, has it always been like that? When I kick mine on it cycles for about a second or two then shuts off, & that's with both lockers engaged (I generally flip all 3 switches up at the same time). Maybe a leak? It does take a rotation or so of the tires for the lockers themselves to engage however

that's weird, has it always been like that? When I kick mine on it cycles for about a second or two then shuts off, & that's with both lockers engaged (I generally flip all 3 switches up at the same time). Maybe a leak? It does take a rotation or so of the tires for the lockers themselves to engage however
How big/fast are the compressors that we are comparing?

X2. 5-8 seconds is only what I'd expect for the first time getting onto the trailhead only after the lockers haven't been used in a while. For subsequent uses on the trail it should only take a second or two to lock unless there's an air leak somewhere. Air leaks are not normal or common, they're something that can usually be fixed with minimal effort. I've only had one air leak in ten years and that was 4 years ago.

For air lockers, it doesn't really matter since it requires such a small air volume to engage the lockers. I know you understand that, that's just for others who don't understand that compressor size only matters for airing up tires, not for actuating air lockers. The standard ARB compressor that comes in their locker kit would be agonizingly slow at airing up tires.

good question, I'm using ARB's CKMA12 version. Usually wicked fast, & once it's locked it stays that way (compressor stays off) through the obstacle or whatever I'm locked for, typically short spurts of a few to maybe 30 seconds total. Though, I've had situations where it cycles on & off & even stays on non-stop. That's rare & I've never been able to figure out why it does that, I've considered the air intake may be getting temporarily clogged or obstructed somehow but then it stops doing it so I've ruled out a leak.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Air-Compressor-CKMA12-P3572C9.aspx

For air lockers, it doesn't really matter since it requires such a small air volume to engage the lockers. I know you understand that, that's just for others who don't understand that compressor size only matters for airing up tires, not for actuating air lockers. The standard ARB compressor that comes in their locker kit would be agonizingly slow at airing up tires.
I actually wasn't sure. The ARB needs 90-100psi. I trust that any ARB compressor can reach that. A little compressor like a Viair 88p can eventually fill a 33, but I highly doubt it can reach the pressures needed power an ARB.

I know my York, directly connected, should reach the needed pressure almost immediately. Same with a fully charged system. But it does take 15-20 seconds to fill the ~2 gallon tank. Less time with higher engine rpms.