Locker recommendations for TJ?

A Detroit Locker requires.......(get this) a Detroit Locker. Less expensive, very reliable, no drilling, no air compressor, no switches, no relays, no cables, no plumbing/wiring, no worries. :rolleyes:

Yes thanks, I did know I had to change both front and rear. 5.13's put me in a higher RPM on freeways how much more anyone know? I am afraid to get to high of a gear also, no?

(assuming automatic trans) 3.73 on the left and 5.13 on the right courtesy of http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html. overdrive at 80 mph with 5.13s puts you at ~2949 rpms. I've driven at 3000-3500 rpms on the freeway for hours at a time for the last ten years without any mechanical concerns.

373or513II.jpg

Last edited:
They do cost more I am looking at compressors, they look to be 200-400. Price wise the next best thing is an Eaton E-locker. For me they seem to be an easier method to install and maintain? I may still go ARB but price has me going towards Eaton E-lockers.

The CKSA12 is only $170 from Amazon.

With the ARB do you need something like a small tank with check valve that can stay presurized while the lockers are being activated? With ARB do you have to wait on the system to pressurize before it locks?

You can turn on the compressor at the beginning of a trail and leave it on the entire time, engaging the lockers when needed. Otherwise it takes about three seconds (maybe).

The compressor doubles as air for anything else you can use air for, though I'd use that only in a pinch given its primary function.

This is not completely correct. Not all compressors can be used as a secondary source of air.

Reactions: Jerry Little
The CKSA12 is only $170 from Amazon.

You can turn on the compressor at the beginning of a trail and leave it on the entire time, engaging the lockers when needed. Otherwise it takes about three seconds (maybe).

This is not completely correct. Not all compressors can be used as a secondary source of air.

I don't recall saying all compressors can be used that way, it should go without saying that it would need a valve to attach the air line to, which the ARB has (all but I think their smallest cheapest one). But I think you missed my point which is most people that spend time wheeling have onboard air so if someone is considering air lockers & all other things are equal, the installation of onboard air should not be a reason to avoid ARBs as its required air source is killing other birds too. I guess if someone is dead set against having onboard air & the $200 is cost prohibitive then that's a different story.

Edit: to the OP, if you're considering the ARB brand compressor step up to the next level CKMA-12, I don't think the smaller one can be used for anything but the lockers, you'd have to confirm that. From ARB's website on the CKMA-12: "So what makes this compressor special? It's small enough to fit into even the tightest space and quiet enough to mount in the cab. It has enough output to air up four 35" - 37" tires in a single duty cycle and typically airs up a 35" tire in just over two minutes." That said, I don't use mine to air up but I see guys doing it all the time. For me it's easy enough to hit the air stations at the parks I go to, it may be overly cautious but I'd rather use mine for lockers & emergency uses only rather than convenience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Little
If your air supply is CO2 or something small like a Viair 88p, then that might be a reason to not want to buy a compressor.

Also, whatever existing compressor someone does have, needs to have a pressure cut off switch somewhere above 100psi. This isn't difficult to make, but most compressors used to fill tires are not built to automatically shut off at a set pressure. It would be a bad idea to just let them constantly run.

Last edited:
You said exactly what I quoted, which isn’t a correct statement and can be very misleading for someone like the OP that is asking basic questions.

You said exactly what I quoted, which isn’t a correct statement and can be very misleading for someone like the OP that is asking basic questions.

wow you are a hair splitter aren't you hahaha, of course I said what you quoted but then you went on to misquote me. I mean, maybe it was my mistake but I assumed the OP isn't a 6 year old & understood when I said the onboard air could serve double duty it would have to have a valve to fit an air line into.

If he was planning a party & I suggested a keg would I need to tell him he needs a tap?

Topics that should be off limits

Lockers
Tires Brand/size
Type/brand of oil. (All oils)
Wenches-including wire vs synthetic
Salvage titles

Safe topics

How stupid JKU's onwers are (current members excluded)
Dogs - must include pictures
How cool our jeeps are

Last edited:
Topics that should be off limits

Lockers
Tires Brand/size
Type/brand of oil. (All oils)
Wenches-including wire vs synthetic
Salvage titles

Safe topics

How stupid JKU's onwers are (current members excluded)
Dogs - must include pictures
How cool are jeeps are

Synthetic wenches should be moved to safe topics.

No, and no. A button on your dash instantaneously activates a small compressor mounted under the hood & you're locked, shut if off & you're unlocked just as fast. The compressor doubles as air for anything else you can use air for, though I'd use that only in a pinch given its primary function. I have a tire repair kit & the air hose attachment in my tool box. For anyone that wheels but cites the extra cost associated with the ARB needing a compressor as a negative I have to wonder, are you seriously wheeling without access to air? I'm sure many e-locker guys also have onboard air somewhere so to me that's a wash.

I have no opinion one way or another about e-lockers, never used them, but I'd think twice about making a close judgment call based on nothing more than this perceived need for an expensive superfluous part...
Yes I have thought of this also. This is a good point

So if a shop put in my dana 44 as a used rear end would I have a 30 spline or a 35 spline or would it be unknown with out taking it apart?

So if a shop put in my dana 44 as a used rear end would I have a 30 spline or a 35 spline or would it be unknown with out taking it apart?
Unknown. But likely a 30 spline and easy to determine. Just pull an axle shaft and count.