Mine doesn’t have a boot either. I keep a good supply of grease there. It’s been a few years now, and the slip joint is still tight and we all know what kind of slop I subject my rig to. I’d say unnecessary if you do basic maintenance

I really appreciate it and thanks for confirming! They do have a small seal there but not the boot. I'll run the boot on the front. I am hopeful this thing will be driving tonight or tomorrow.

Reactions: Mike_H
This showed up today!
View attachment 533151

Question for anyone who has one of these. Does your cv have the spicer boot? I ordered one for the front shaft rebuild but noticed the tom woods shaft doesnt have one. Is it needed? It seems it would be subject to a lot grit and such but maybe the boot keeps it in. Factory cv shaft has it. It looks like tom woods uses a smaller seal. Just more curious than anything. View attachment 533152View attachment 533153View attachment 533154

Is the tom woods a greasable centering yoke? That extra part looks like its for a factory non greaseable centering yoke

Is the tom woods a greasable centering yoke? That extra part looks like its for a factory non greaseable centering yoke

Yeah that's why it's different and your right. That would be why my factory cv has one. Good news is the new yoke I have for the front won't need it because I am putting in a greasable yoke so we are all good. I should have checked that greasable yoke first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickyd
It's alive!

Ride is good. I need to do some more testing to see if anything needs adjusting. Diffs never got over 160 so that's good.

Just ran around the industrial park some. Idle has abit more vibes than I would like. Hoping that will settle some as I couldn't see any tub contact at idle. It did settle down a little during the test run.

What was amazing was the big brake kit. @mrblaine makes a fine product and it locked up the 35s during the break in. I saw smoke roll past the headlights and that infamous burnt rubber smell immediately after. Nothing else was burning because I had to pull over and check.

I need figure out the muffler back. I have a pin hole in my muffler and I need to weld the bend over the axle back in. I may end up with a walker cat cat or similar.

1000003625.jpg

1000003623.jpg
1000003624.jpg

I need to adjust the front a pinion a little more. I have just over a 3 degree delta between the pinion angle and drive shaft angle. I noticed a small amount if vibes but nothing crazy but I haven't gone over 50mph yet with the gear break in.

1000003651.jpg

1000003640.jpg
1000003642.jpg

Caster is around 5 degrees right now for this hpd30.

Drivers side
1000003650.jpg

Passenger side
1000003649.jpg

Rear pinion is 1 degree lower than the ds and seems be running smooth!

1000003643.jpg
1000003646.jpg

1000003647.jpg

@Irun did you run a walker exhaust on the lj too? I couldn't find it in the build thread but I may have missed it. I have the muffler and 2 band clamps on order. I may be able to just reuse my factory tail pipe with an extension since it seems the lj muffler may be longer

Last edited:
Reactions: Tob and Irun
Stupid brand new compressor leaks at the manifold after another set of o-rings. Called arb and they just said to submit a ticket. Bummer. This and the pressure switch are the only current leaks in my system which is frustrating.

I got real behind in this thread, awesome work!

My solenoid was a pain, I had leaks there for a real long time. I ended up using a paste that seems to have worked well.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
I got real behind in this thread, awesome work!

My solenoid was a pain, I had leaks there for a real long time. I ended up using a paste that seems to have worked well.

Thank you! Finally got it leak free so hopefully it stays that way for a shake down run at AOAA at the end of the month.

Reactions: tworley
Adjusted the front pinion angle to under a degree of difference at lunch today. and took it for a spin. Vibration is very minimal. I get some when slowing, almost to a complete stop but that maybe more tire related than drive shaft.

I will drive it around some more for testing. If needed I should be able to adjust to zero difference.

I need to center the steering wheel too.

Caster is between 3.5 to 4.
1000003652.jpg
1000003653.jpg
1000003655.jpg

Reactions: Tob and Sj's TJ
The ride with these blackmaxx shocks seems softer than my previous Ranchos. Especially the rear shocks, b8528. I thought the rear shocks would have a worse split than this. Initially it was pushing 7 inches up and 3 down.

At ride height it's about a 52/48 split with currie lj springs and a full tank of gas. Roughly 5.125 up out of 10.02 travel shock. I am really happy about it as it should leave some room for squat with kids, a cooler, tools and trail gear.

1000003657.jpg
1000003656.jpg

Last edited:
@Irun did you run a walker exhaust on the lj too? I couldn't find it in the build thread but I may have missed it. I have the muffler and 2 band clamps on order. I may be able to just reuse my factory tail pipe with an extension since it seems the lj muffler may be longer

I haven't yet done my Savyy belly skid, so my muffler is still stock. Once I install the belly skid, I'll do exactly what you said, i.e. reuse my good tailpipe, add in the Walker Quiet Flow, and use a piece of exhaust pipe to make up the difference. Technically, my muff;er is still in great shape, but it's huge and is only nominally quieter than the Walker in my TJ.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKT19K/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I haven't yet done my Savyy belly skid, so my muffler is still stock. Once I install the belly skid, I'll do exactly what you said, i.e. reuse my good tailpipe, add in the Walker Quiet Flow, and use a piece of exhaust pipe to make up the difference. Technically, my muff;er is still in great shape, but it's huge and is only nominally quieter than the Walker in my TJ.

Thanks! My walker and clamps showed up today! My muffler has a small hole in it, which it's had foe while. Not from rust but a busted seam.

I was going to do all this when I weld up the trac bar bracket.

It won't be this week though. I leave for Kentucky tomorrow to meet up with my brother on the hot rod power tour!

Is the LJ muffler any bigger than the tj version? My 05 rubi muffler was louder than the cheap napa muffler it replaced

Is the LJ muffler any bigger than the tj version? My 05 rubi muffler was louder than the cheap napa muffler it replaced

The lj muffler is really big. I wouldn't be surprised if the difference in length is all in the muffler.

This sounds like fun....but it's only true if there are pictures along the way! :)

We will supposedly be making a stop at the the Buffalo Trace distillery. I'll be in pack of c10s. My dad and brother both have a c10. They are trying to get me to move from the jeep to that scene but no such luck so far.

I also need to address the idle vibes with the Savvy skid. I have M.O.R.E. motor mounts that use clevite bushings as well. I felt a small amount of vibes from those but got use to it.

I kept my original mopar mounts. I may need to swap them in with a block and see of that helps. Along with making sure I'm not contacting the tub anywhere.

The lj muffler is really big. I wouldn't be surprised if the difference in length is all in the muffler.

We will supposedly be making a stop at the the Buffalo Trace distillery. I'll be in pack of c10s. My dad and brother both have a c10. They are trying to get me to move from the jeep to that scene but no such luck so far.

What year c10? 60-72 and i couldn't judge!

What year c10? 60-72 and i couldn't judge!

They are later square bodies, 84 and 85. My dad has the red one with a new 350 and 700r4. My brothers has the white we converted to a short bed and has a cadillac 472 in it with Holley sniper efi and gear vender overdrive unit behind a th400.

I need something the kids can fit in. I can't sell the wife on a lowered c30 dually crew. Then I could cruise and haul the jeep 😂

1000003681.jpg

1000003682.jpg

@Fluxor front bumper on! Polished it up and mounted the winch. It went on easy and I just blue loctite the smaller fasteners. No issues and is very well made! Clears the sway loc with enough room. Really dig it!

I can't decide if I'm going to leave it raw or try and polish it up a bit more. I sanded it starting at 800 grit and ending at 2000. Sanding was needed to blend the welding corners.

The winch mount was just polished as it came.

Before and after!

1000003757.jpg

Before sanding and polishing
1000003758.jpg

1000003765.jpg
1000003766.jpg
1000003767.jpg