Looking into winches

Jackman

TJ Enthusiast
So I’ve been looking into winches. Does anyone here have experience with the warn vr evo? The price isn’t bad and I’d like to get some input on it before pulling the trigger.

Keep an eye out on this guy on eBay, crazyscientist. I got my Warm Zeon 8 for $520 plus $80 to ship a few weeks back.

93A9EDD6-6070-402D-A02F-E557688915FD.png

package arrived within a week in the appropriate warn boxes and the assembled in America seal.

Free returns with Amazon ;)

You'd honestly be better off saving up a bit more and getting something better than a VR series winch. A good used M8000 would be cheaper, and a better winch. Or a used M8274, but you'd need a special winch plate for it. I'd even pick a Superwinch LP8500 over the VR8.

Keep an eye out on this guy on eBay, crazyscientist. I got my Warm Zeon 8 for $520 plus $80 to ship a few weeks back.

View attachment 156578

package arrived within a week in the appropriate warn boxes and the assembled in America seal.
I live in Omaha, this guy is in CB, which is just the other side of the river so I could just go get it.

What's his deal? How can he be selling these so much cheaper? Am I missing some angle?

And will Warn still stand behind the warranty from an eBay purchase? How's that work?

Last edited:
We put @tworley winch through some long hard pulls last weekend. Not sure what he has, maybe a superwinch?

Superwinch LP8500. It was definitely warm, but it did not overheat after all that winching.

To the OP--Its a very affordable winch. Last I looked it could be had for about $300 (maybe less) direct from Superwinch. Its a slow winch, but it works. It also inlcudes some sort of circuit breaker which are three, 50 amp breakers mounted on two bus bars that connects direct to the pos. battery post. The clutch is also finicky, but that may solved with greasing the clutch on mine.

20200303_115324[1].jpg

I just ordered a Warn M8000 today. I guess I bought into the forum hype. I try not to do that to simply follow the crowd, but try as I may I could not find anyone to say a bad thing about them. Reviews, warranty services, parts availability, classic design; all point toward it being a good decision.

Reactions: DrDmoney