Looking to replace stock headlight bulbs

I posted several beam pattern photos in my Toyota light thread linked above. I found the best pattern happen to be the higher wattage Hella bulbs. FWIW I have the tungram in my jeep right now to try out and was going to mention in that thread. They will be going back to Amazon though as I didn't think they were any better than higher wattage Hella bulbs I currently run.

I also have some osram night breaker laser bulbs to try but they are still sitting on the desk.

I think the new Holley led are cool and seem to built and designed by morimoto who makes some really good headlights. I may try them one day if I have some extra funds lying around. For now I am happy with the koito/Toyota lights.

They guys looking to use h4 housings either want the stock look or don’t want to spend the money on LEDs. Some don’t like the white light. So the H4s are their best option.
You can run an h4 and have white light. They make xnenon h4 bulbs that are typically more white than the standard h4 bulb. I like the stock look and glass lenses. When I found the Toyota kit, koito lights were the best available at a reasonable price for needs. Now that the new holly LEDs exist I would be interested in trying those. But they are 5 times the cost of the koito lights which work well for my needs. I don't personally think the LEDs are 5 times better but some people do.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
You can run an h4 and have white light. They make xnenon h4 bulbs that are typically more white than the standard h4 bulb. I like the stock look and glass lenses. When I found the Toyota kit, koito lights were the best available at a reasonable price for needs. Now that the new holly LEDs exist I would be interested in trying those. But they are 5 times the cost of the koito lights which work well for my needs. I don't personally think the LEDs are 5 times better but some people do.
Yes I won’t be be spending $600 on a led set either. I will run another Chinese knock off set.
If they would make a clear glass housing with a changeable LED I would spend that much.
My perfect light would be the truck lite design with glass lens and a changeable LED.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Yes I won’t be be spending $600 on a led set either. I will run another Chinese knock off set.
If they would make a clear glass housing with a changeable LED I would spend that much.
My perfect light would be the truck lite design with glass lens and a changeable LED.
The holley LEDs are glass I believe but I doubt the LED is replaceable. That usually isn't an issue on quality LEDs though where the LEDs are burning out.

The holley LEDs are glass I believe but I doubt the LED is replaceable. That usually isn't an issue on quality LEDs though where the LEDs are burning out.
They are changeable. Looks like they are made by Morimoto. The high beams look poor at best.

They are changeable. Looks like they are made by Morimoto. The high beams look poor at best.
Morimoto makes nice stuff. Very cool the LED is replaceable. The high beams look really good in the video with a wide pattern compared to a sealed beam.

They do confirm the lenses are plastic not glass in video comments.

Morimoto makes nice stuff. Very cool the LED is replaceable. The high beams look really good in the video with a wide pattern compared to a sealed beam.

They do confirm the lenses are plastic not glass in video comments.
Oh I didn’t catch the plastic part. Compared to the sealed beam yes. But compared to other modern options they are not good.
Technology has come a long way since the TJ.

Oh I didn’t catch the plastic part. Compared to the sealed beam yes. But compared to other modern options they are not good.
Technology has come a long way since the TJ.
Yeah the high beam looks a little scattered. Similar to jamming an LED bulb into an h4 housing.

The truck lites had the best pattern and distance of lights I have personally tried. I tested a used set but didn't like the droppy eyed look.

H4 housing and LED bulbs work great, you just have to find the correct housing and bulb. I run Cibie housings and dirt cheap chinese LED H4 bulbs that have the correct LED chips and orientation that match a halogen filament. I was primarily concerned with low power so I got bulbs without a fan. They were $7.72 delivered from aliexpress straight off the slow boat in 2019. I think you can get similar bulbs today but everything is a bit more expensive. They run pretty cool drawing very little current, no fan to get clogged up with mud. I think my parking lights draw more total current. You can find used housings if you search and if you don't do the slow boat from china I think Auxbeam has a fanless H4 on Amazon. I really like Headlight Revolution but I'd never spend that kind of money on headlights myself. My LEDs are better than the halogen I had previously in the housings. The pattern is good, if the bulb has the chips in the correct place they'll work. The three little CSP chips are just about the exact size of the filament. Most people only notice the headlights aren't yellow anymore.