Looking to replace stock headlight bulbs

Also reading through the ih8’ud thread it is obvious that higher wattage is not better light output. Quality bulbs make make the difference.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
In my opinion they are way better beam pattern than my quadratec leds which are trucklite knock offs. Wish I knew about this kit back when I bought the LED’s.

LED’s are for sale ;)
I had the Amazon TruckLite knockoffs and sold them... Liked the color HATED the pattern.

There is no such thing as a good LED replacement for use in a halogen or xenon housing.
That's what I understood as well. I am still going to try some different H4s. I am using the Hella 100/80's that were on Q-Tec for $2.
Leaning towards the Philips white vision ultra as I prefer a white light.
What led you to these bulbs?

Incidentally, the Toyota upgrade comes with the same part number Mr Stern recommends for the reflector/housing (maybe other parts as well?).
That's correct but cheaper from ebay, etc. I like to support Daniel when I can, tho'. Note his comments on the best, upgraded H4,
That's the route I'll continue down.

I read through his page a bit. Seems to be quite high on his items. Seems like a lot of info may be a bit old.

Your best bet, if you doubt his conclusions is to read his page, tech data, etc. then, unless you're stuck on LED, drop him an email and prepare for a long explanation and make your decision.

"The Koito lamps come with good quality
standard-luminance/standard-output bulbs. Bulb selection matters a _lot_
to how well you can (or can't) see at night. Please see bulb test
results posted by my colleague Virgil at

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?392498-Interesting-headlight-bulb-test-results

Note the performance difference, especially on low beam, between the
standard bulb (bulb "A", the kind that comes with the headlamps) and the
high-efficacy bulb (bulb "C"). The current best pick in 60/55w bulbs is
made by Tungsram (GE of Europe); it is a +120 item that is a few
developmental iterations improved over the +80/+90 bulb "C" in the
linked comparison. I keep them in stock for $43.18/pair. With relays in
the system it's tempting to grab for big wattage numbers (100/90, etc),
but for a good collection of sturdy reasons it's usually
counterproductive at best; more info on request."

Holley introduced a replacement 7" Round LED that looks completely stock. Beam pattern is excellent and it's plug and play with the TJ. The unit allows you to replace the LED lamp in the future as well.

https://www.holley.com/products/lighting/headlights/parts/LFRB155#applications
Comes in 3 color temperatures as well.

This is a great overview of all of the 7" rounds on the market and which one are good and which ones aren't. it will start at the Holley review.

Last edited:
....The current best pick in 60/55w bulbs is
made by Tungsram (GE of Europe);

My interpretation is that the Tungsram bulb is the best pick if you're staying with a 60/55w bulb. I don't read his comment to mean that the Tungsram 60/55w is the best pick out of all the options available.
I could be wrong, just sharing how I interpret that statement.

Really? He recommends a 60/55 rather than a 100/80?
I don't really have a dog in the fight, but the notion that stock (66/50) bulbs work best in these H4 style housings was also born out in the ih8mud forum tread linked in post #7 earlier in this thread.

At the bottom of page 3 in that ih8mud link, there's a comparison of 4 different bulbs of differing wattage in both low and high beam conditions using the Toyota housings. Consensus there was stock bulbs are better. There's mention that color might be a preference, and other bulbs do show color difference, but not much in the way of additional illuminated area.

The one sample of bulb used in that housing that doesn't work at all? LED.

Reactions: MikekiM
I think a lot is to be said about the quality of the bulb. Not just the wattage on the package. I did a lot of reading on these and the various bulbs. I cancelled my order for the Toyota housings. I don’t care about retaining a stockish look and will purchase a more modern lighting option. There is a reason these lights are no longer used in modern production.
The Holley units look to be a nice LED option for those looking to retain stock look and they have a few color/temperature option for those seeking a specific color of light.

I don't really have a dog in the fight,
Ditto. No fight here, just passing along information. I like the aftermarket LED in my OEM Ford pickup lenses but supposedly they were engineered for it, they have a nice cutoff.. yadablah.
At the low cost of the Koito swap I thought it a good idea, especially with the upgraded wiring harness. The swap to CIBE with wiring harness in my XJ was a marked difference.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
I think a lot is to be said about the quality of the bulb. Not just the wattage on the package. I did a lot of reading on these and the various bulbs. I cancelled my order for the Toyota housings. I don’t care about retaining a stockish look and will purchase a more modern lighting option. There is a reason these lights are no longer used in modern production.
The Holley units look to be a nice LED option for those looking to retain stock look and they have a few color/temperature option for those seeking a specific color of light.
If I were ever to switch to LED headlights, the Holley lamps would be first on my list. I'd never seen them before this thread.

Expensive, yes; but hopefully they'd be a buy once and be done item.