Low COG overland-ish build

Hitch install today. Turns out my gas tank skid is a bit beat up making it so we had to ratchet the hitch to get the holes to line up due to the skid getting in the way. Also ridiculously expensive hardware didn’t fit in the frame hole so we had to grind down the head to get it to go in the frame. But it’s on and bike carrier installed (it has some issues with the tailgate opening and the bike carrier going full vertical due to my tire, I’m just driving with it horizontal and won’t have it on unless I’m using it). Going biking Monday so that will be the true test.

Also finally got around to installing a fan clutch to my new Ford Fan. Turns out the cutch needed to be Ford too, learned that when the Jeep one didn’t fit.

B2B127FC-B21A-4EE4-8656-1AB099002C1B.jpeg

CE21D01F-1570-4CB7-95A6-EA5E6DB3EE3F.jpeg

Reactions: Alex01
Yes it was just a "bit" dented. :meparto:

I can't wait until it needs to be removed to put the savvy skid in.

Replaced my CPS today due to some loss of power while in traffic. Brand new to sensors. It was really buried in the back and wasn't sure exactly where it was so my timeline was 1.5 hours finding the sensor and ensuring it was correct, then about 20 mins removing the old and installing the new. :D. Took it for a quick drive, idle and going to idle seem a more smooth and less stutter as I had described on my other thread. Presuming that means successful install as I'm guessing things wouldn't work right if I did otherwise lol. Going to big sur camping tomorrow, just planning on dispersed camping off a forest road, hopefully not crazy busy.

Also for the bike rack plan on getting something like a cheaper version of this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY7GU9H/?tag=wranglerorg-20 so I can mount the rack lower, then I should be able to fold to 90 degrees, and open the tailgate by lowing the rack. Its a great rack though used it a few times now to go biking!

Lastly, I have my OBA twin ARB compressor in. Hoping to get it installed next weekend. I realize with a bunch of traveling I need to take this year my one item a month isn't realistic, it'll be a slower build but I'll get there!

Last edited:
With huge help from Alex we installed my dual compressor today

We ended up removing the ABS tray and then cutting out indents for to screw it in as and I don’t have a clutch there it fit decently well although still was a jigsaw at first. We had a bit of a hard time with the wiring using a third party OEM looking switch I got but we got it working with the ARB switch. Need to find the wiring diagram for the other switch as it only has three cables. Also planning on relocating the air intake to the middle of my frame. It inflated one tire from 15-25 PSI in probably 40 seconds.

CE359C53-52BD-49C9-A095-0D160F34DAE1.jpeg
F0C4EFB9-353E-4F6F-A38C-0C5E172221F9.jpeg

I posted it in different threads but thought I'd document it here, Saturday I quickly threw on the Moabs I bought from Chris. I need to adjust my bumpers on the tailgate to mount the spare, and adjust the steering stops but I'm liking the new lighter look.

A few minor appearance mods coming soon (chrome headlight bezel, OEM lugs) and I should be getting some used Savvy control arms from a forum member mid-august. Hoping to get an antirock soon, and rockers sometime after. I'm planning on painting the rocker guard aluminum backplate stone white with the step being powder coated black so it still looks very factory.

Image from iOS.jpg

Chris's extra part bin build formerly known as Low COG overland-ish build.:)
I am sure Tom is researching metalcloak control arms right now.

Reactions: Chris and tomtaylz
Here's a MC Duroflex joint, lower front after 30K miles with some offroading thrown in for good measure.
20180721_110831.jpg

The only thing I can find wrong with the joint, and I don't think it has any detriment to the joint, is a tiny bit of cracking at the base of the shank when the joint is at full articulation. Jeep still feels tight and solid. these joints are WAY easier to service! A pair of snap ring pliers, and a mallet and these things pop right out.

20180721_105859.jpg

20180721_110855.jpg

Reactions: DA RUNT
Reactions: Starrs and tomtaylz