Low COG overland-ish build

Yeah it actually wasn’t horrible but you felt it on crappy roads. I guess they don’t listen to what you tell them hah.
CA has a law where all vehicles in for any service has to have the tires set to factory air pressures. So, they have to by law set them to what is on the door jamb or face fines.

CA has a law where all vehicles in for any service has to have the tires set to factory air pressures. So, they have to by law set them to what is on the door jamb or face fines.

Interesting didn’t know that, guess it applies to just mounting tires without the vehicle and whatnot too. Good to know for the future.

Dang! 37 psi? Are your kidneys ok?

Haha it definitely is more smooth on crappy roads now.

So I had a bit of time today so I wanted to sit down and plan a bunch of upgrades out on my Jeep. This way I can remain on a path which is comfortable financially while still making progress towards a end goal, as much as I'd love to go spend 5k on parts tomorrow it isn't realistic. Goal is average $500 a month as most items by the good suppliers seem to cost roughly that much.

This is what I'm looking at now and rough sequencing. If something unexpected happens to the Jeep or in life, or a great sale or rebate occurs for Black Friday/New Years things might get moved around a bit or pushed back where it makes sense. Any input on sequencing or recommendations on one item vs another is appreciated!

My grand plan is I want to use excellent quality parts which will last a long time, while keeping the weight down and adding necessary armor for my off road use. Also, I want to keep a stock-like appearance as much as possible.

Jeep List

May: Paint near windshield corrected, MagneticMic (for CB mic as I nearly got hit in the head a lot last trip)
June: OBA solution
July: Currie Antirock, Savvy Shifter kit
August: Savvy front bumper aluminum
September: Savvy Gas tank skid
October: Savvy rockers with side steps
November/December: Currie Adjustable control arms

January: Fog Lights & Engine/Transmission Skid Plates
Feb: BedRug carpet and weather tech (or bedline interior)
March: Preventative- Cooling system replacements
April: Winch
May/June: New drivers and passenger seats
July: Derale 20561 transmission cooler

Last edited:
So I had a bit of time today so I wanted to sit down and plan a bunch of upgrades out on my Jeep. This way I can remain on a path which is comfortable financially while still making progress towards a end goal, as much as I'd love to go spend 5k on parts tomorrow it isn't realistic. Goal is average $500 a month as most items by the good suppliers seem to cost roughly that much.

This is what I'm looking at now and rough sequencing. If something unexpected happens to the Jeep or in life, or a great sale or rebate occurs for Black Friday/New Years things might get moved around a bit or pushed back where it makes sense. Any input on sequencing or recommendations on one item vs another is appreciated!

My grand plan is I want to use excellent quality parts which will last a long time, while keeping the weight down and adding necessary armor for my off road use. Also, I want to keep a stock-like appearance as much as possible.

Jeep List

May: Paint near windshield corrected, MagneticMic (for CB mic as I nearly got hit in the head a lot last trip)

Damn dude, you're hooked! :D Nice list.

Reactions: tomtaylz
I think I gave @Alex01 the bug, now I’m trying to keep up with half of his mod speed
Hopefully helping you install parts will fill my itch lol. Once I get my oba installed other then small things I am getting to the point where I just need to get out more and find what parts work well and upgrade those that don't. I was thinking previous to the cow mountain trip that I wanted the np241 but I was amazed by how well my jeep crawled up some of those larger obstacles. I'm sure the 4.88 helped out a lot with that. Looking forward to seeing your jeeps transformation over the next year.

Now if I find a good deal on a 241 I may just need to pull the trigger simply to complete my transformation from sport to Rubicon ;)......

Last edited:
Got the CB installed using the Arizona Rocky Road mount. We tried to have the wiring as neat as possible and have disconnects so i can conceal the radio when street parked, don’t want someone breaking into my Jeep for a $40 CB. Still have some general tightening and cleaning up to do. Does anyone run their coax inside the tube somehow or is ziptieing it the norm?

I haven’t tuned it get, anyone have a tuner I can quickly tune with during the May meetup?

Also switched out my old ford fan for a newer ford fan. Weirdly enough one of the blades blade occasionally hits the shroud so that’s something I’ll have to figure out.

Next hardware hunting to get the hitch installed.

View attachment 39483 View attachment 39484 View attachment 39485
Coming along nicely! Good work!!!

Jeep List

Solid list! I’d move the winch up if you’ll be off-road. It’s just responsible wheelin, and you never know when you might need it!
1D388B49-C504-400E-87C6-946232FA634F.png

Reactions: Rob5589 and b0xcar
Fixed it for you brah!
Rubicon is on the top of my bucket list. It has been my motivation to make my jeep the way it sits today. Hopefully we can get some members up their and make a weekend out of it.

My take on your list order,

I'd move up the rockers to July
Engine/trany skids to August
Front bumper September
Winch, October
AR and TC shifter November
December/January, Currie arms
February, gas tank skid(factory skid is actually pretty stout)
March, cooling system revamp
April, trany cooler
May, seats

This is provided you want to run trails similar or more aggressive than Cow Mt., like Slick Rock trail coming up in July.

Reactions: tomtaylz and Alex01
Rubicon is on the top of my bucket list. It has been my motivation to make my jeep the way it sits today. Hopefully we can get some members up their and make a weekend out of it.

Your Jeep is more than capable to handle that trail as it sits right now. I ran it in 2014 with my current 2.5" lift and 32's. Had to be tugged twice due to my big ass shovel hanging down, and put a pretty good dent in my engine oil pan, hence the reason I bumped @tomtaylz 's under armor up a few notches.

Reactions: Alex01
My take on your list order,

I'd move up the rockers to July
Engine/trany skids to August
Front bumper September
Winch, October
AR and TC shifter November
December/January, Currie arms
February, gas tank skid(factory skid is actually pretty stout)
March, cooling system revamp
April, trany cooler
May, seats

This is provided you want to run trails similar or more aggressive than Cow Mt., like Slick Rock trail coming up in July.

Gotcha. Bumper needs AR unless I drill for the winch I believe. Will look into switching things around a bit maybe that and winch switch places. Thanks for the recommendations.

Reactions: Alex01
"Note-The Savvy fairlead mount can be used in two positions. The recommended rear position is to be used when the factory swaybar has been replaced by an aftermarket swaybar. The rear bolt pattern cannot be used with the factory swaybar and for this application, the mount will have to be shifted to the forward set of holes, and drilling of new fairlead mount holes will be required."

If you only want to install the Flarelead once then it would be best to have the AR installed before the bumper. But then again you could just stockpile the bumper/ar/winch and install everything the same day. The stock bumper will need to be removed to install the AR anyways.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Gotcha. Bumper needs AR unless I drill for the winch I believe. Will look into switching things around a bit maybe that and winch switch places. Thanks for the recommendations.

In my order, you could swap the AR ahead of the bumper, then just stubby the stock bumper to fit the AR until you get the new bumper.

Swapped the priority around a bit on the first page of the thread. Got the cowl grill repainted this week. It looks great, they did a great job matching. Magnetic Mic ordered to hopefully keep things in place when off-roading. Hoping to get my hitch installed this weekend so I can put on my bike rack for Memorial Day.

Before
4E8A644C-66D6-429D-BB23-40B5EA0BE57F.jpeg

After, and so clean.

5526D4E0-AB2D-4FBA-B7EE-2EAB9A9C47F3.jpeg
A2F52F0B-C5A6-4CDB-91D2-39F0B808F64B.jpeg