Lower spring perch trimming

Bruce20

TJ Enthusiast
Please post pics of your trimmed lower spring bucket, so you can clear shocks. I want to know how much I should take off because I don’t want to take too much off unless there is a better way to get my shocks to clear. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Various photos at different angles. Dont worry, my junk is not running like this.

20160521_164729.jpg
20160527_102800.jpg
20160602_193740.jpg

I don't think there is a way to cut too much. The spring is held in place by the middle bump on the seat.

I don't think there is a way to cut too much. The spring is held in place by the middle bump on the seat.

I agree. I looked at trimming mine (before I decided to outboard) and it didn’t look like enough could be removed to make a difference.

Where was the mention of springs falling out? Or did I misinterpret his question?

I need to outboard mine soon...

I agree. I looked at trimming mine (before I decided to outboard) and it didn’t look like enough could be removed to make a difference.
There really is nothing to lose. Trim the spring seats past the coils and add shock relocation brackets. See what happens and go from there.

If there is a problem, it would be some combination of shock body size, suspension droop and pinion angle requirement disagreeing with the lower shock mount location.

Last edited:
There really is nothing to lose. Trim the spring seats past the coils and add shock relocation brackets. See what happens and go from there.

On mine it wouldn't make a difference unfortunately. My pinion is angles so far back that I'd have to cut a pretty large portion out. That's why I'm just waiting until the outboard.

On mine it wouldn't make a difference unfortunately. My pinion is angles so far back that I'd have to cut a pretty large portion out. That's why I'm just waiting until the outboard.
Do you have lower shock mount relocation brackets?

Do you have lower shock mount relocation brackets?
For the time being, yes.

On my old Rubicon with 4" of lift, trimming the spring perches was enough.

However, with this one, the 4" lift plus the tummy tuck pushed it past the point of no return.

There's a lot of little issues like this that come along with the tummy tucks that most people (myself included) don't think about before they start it.

My pinion is angles so far back that I'd have to cut a pretty large portion out. That's why I'm just waiting until the outboard.

I had the same issue and ran currie relocation brackets until I could remedy the problem. The first picture I posted shows the shock bodies contacting the coil, the perch was already cut but didnt do me any good.

Reactions: Tob and Chris
Ok, mine is so close to the mount. I could cut a 1/4” all around and it would mount up with wiggle room. What holds the spring in?

Ok, mine is so close to the mount. I could cut a 1/4” all around and it would mount up with wiggle room. What holds the spring in?

It's being held in by the upper perch, and will still be held in by the cupped sides of the lower perch. Trimming it a bit won't cause any issues, especially only 1/4".

Bruce, does the Jeep have a raised rear pinion? Does it have a raised belly? Just trying to get a handle on the severity of the issue.

Look closely at the spring and how it sits in the lower mount. That knob that the bottom of the coil wraps around is what holds the spring in place. The rest of the surrounding area doesn't matter as much.

Reactions: Bruce20
Bruce, does the Jeep have a raised rear pinion? Does it have a raised belly? Just trying to get a handle on the severity of the issue.
My Jeep is 100% stock to my belief. The previous owner may have done stuff, but then removed it when he sold it because I can tell there is an aftermarket diff gasket and the gearing plaque was removed. How do I find out if my pinion is raised?

Look closely at the spring and how it sits in the lower mount. That knob that the bottom of the coil wraps around is what holds the spring in place. The rest of the surrounding area doesn't matter as much.
So it will never pop off at full flex? Oh and I tried cycling my suspension, but my steering arm would not let the bump touch the pad in the front. Is this a concern or do I have to put a jack under the brake and jack it up?

My Jeep is 100% stock to my belief. The previous owner may have done stuff, but then removed it when he sold it because I can tell there is an aftermarket diff gasket and the gearing plaque was removed. How do I find out if my pinion is raised?
Is there a double cardan rear driveshaft? Post pics of the rear drive shaft near the transfer case, as well as the rear control arms.

A stock TJ shouldn't need trimming for the shocks. More is going on.

...Oh and I tried cycling my suspension, but my steering arm would not let the bump touch the pad in the front. Is this a concern or do I have to put a jack under the brake and jack it up?
Pics might help us better understand that. Did you remove the springs when you cycled?

[QUOTE="jjvw, post: 200625, member: Did you remove the springs when you cycled?[/QUOTE]

Yes