Lucas or Chevron fuel system additives?

You're probably the one person that I'd believe Jerry, I just remember the $700 dollar injection cleaning jobs and that was years ago, so you think ALL the gas has enough detergents in them now? What about keeping the injector seals conditioned too? I run the lowest octane from Kroger I can. Yes, the Avatar is quite repulsive isn't it? lol

Neither. This is snake oil x10. :ROFLMAO:

I do like the original thread title (before I changed it), "Lucas or Chevorn fuel system addictives".

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
You're probably the one person that I'd believe Jerry, I just remember the $700 dollar injection cleaning jobs and that was years ago, so you think ALL the gas has enough detergents in them now? What about keeping the injector seals conditioned too? I run the lowest octane from Kroger I can. Yes, the Avatar is quite repulsive isn't it? lol
Yep the brand and octane doesn't matter, all US manufactured gasolines require them in sufficient quantities.

Reactions: Tray Burge
So more of a preventive than a “fix”?

Not for a fix, so I guess you could call it preventative. I just figure it would be a good time to clean it every now and then when Driving a long distance trip. Most of my long trips are 6-8 hours. Obviously the LJ won’t go that far without getting gas, but I can run a tank out in 250-ish miles. It may not help, but I don’t think it hurts either.

Reactions: mgroeger
One step to avoid bad gasoline is when you see the station being filled by a tanker truck, avoid it for a few days. Whatever they put in can stir up debris/water in the underground tanks. Also dont fill up your vehicle at the same time when the tanker is there for the same reasons.

My dad always told me that too, and I still follow his advise. : )

Reactions: tworley
For carb engines I like to run a bit of the Tecron in the fuel. It really helps keep the needle valve from sticking. And some Stabil too. But these engines sit for long period unused. Chainsaws, log splitters, rototillers, etc. I also run only super in them because it is the only way to get non-ethanol fuel.
For diesels I add some Lucas top end mixed in with the fuel. It makes a big difference in noise from the injector pump. Bus most of these are well over 40 years old. So the low sulfur fuel is lacking in lubrication for them.
In daily drivers I have found some like a bit of additives and others don't. My 06 Rubicon likes the reg gas wit 10% ethanol over every other grade. So that's what it gets. At oil changes I'll add a bit of Marvelous Mystery Oil to the tank, but that's it.

Reactions: Mcnenc1
When I get a new vehicle I do add several varieties of chemicals to the tank and oil before I do a complete fluids change out. Not knowing what condition the PO left it in makes me want to start out with at least some confidence the systems are fairly clean.

The really necessary chemical products could fill 2 shelves. The other 43 could house all the snake-oil with their flashy packaging and vague claims. A regular grade top-tier fuel source and regular maintenance is all these need in stock form.

I gained at least 20-25 seat-of-the-pants horsepower over stock when I painted my oil pan red and added two bottles of STP fuel treatment to the tank. It was dang near uncontrollable from a dead stop, and I almost ran over a Hummer at the mall when my foot slipped when a Milli Vanilli tune came on during start up. I’m really not sure if it had anything to do with my running straight Slick 50 or not though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mcnenc1 and mots
Not for a fix, so I guess you could call it preventative. I just figure it would be a good time to clean it every now and then when Driving a long distance trip. Most of my long trips are 6-8 hours. Obviously the LJ won’t go that far without getting gas, but I can run a tank out in 250-ish miles. It may not help, but I don’t think it hurts either.
I agree with this. Can't hurt. I usually put in a can of Seafoam before a long trip (1-2 times a year). That way I know all of it is being burned while the engine is hot.

So, basically, if your vehicle is in well maintained condition these will do little for you. If you have certain specific issues then a couple of the hundreds of options MAY help, but will rarely fix a problem.

The story about not getting gas after a tanker is pulled up is pretty much a wives tale, ever ask a Costco gas station how many trucks they get a day, a busy one was 10-12, I forgot to ask how often they change the filter in the system, that is probably what really matters - maybe the mom and pop shops, but not the big guys at least

The story about not getting gas after a tanker is pulled up is pretty much a wives tale, ever ask a Costco gas station how many trucks they get a day, a busy one was 10-12, I forgot to ask how often they change the filter in the system, that is probably what really matters - maybe the mom and pop shops, but not the big guys at least
Agree with that, the modern pumps have filtration systems and filters in line.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have 4.0L 42RLE with 150 k ROUGH idle. Cleaned and replaced the IAC and it’s housing multiple times still rough
2 things to check that have helped me in the past with a rough idle:
  1. Check for vacuum leaks. Un-metered air means the computer can't create the ideal fuel/air mixture.
  2. Make sure all of your main ground straps are right and tight (un-fasten, clean until shiny, re-fasten).
I agree with the others who have said not to bother with additives.